'White stuff' on mouth parts

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I just got a new Emp, and today I noticed some 'white stuff' on its mouth. This is very odd, as it was not there yesterday, or earlier in the week. It just appeared today. Unless my other Emp pooped on her mouth, I have a bad feeling that this is fungus. Perhaps it would explain why yesterday, when I tied to feed it a cricket, it caught and killed the crick, but didnt eat it. I tried to take some pics, but my crappy webcam is all I have. How can I get this off? I am really worried about this one. If it matters, it is a female that has had babies. Dont know if it is WC or CB, though. By the way, I don think it was chewing on anything in the tank, as there is nothing in there that is white like that.

Perhaps it got something from the substrate? I recently mixed it all up when adding her in, so perhaps fungus spores that were originally in the bottom got brought up and mixed with the new substrate.

So, how can I get this off without killing her? Or, should I say, can I get this off without killing her?:(

Pics:

Attachments

Last edited:

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Emps like to clean themselves. So here are a few things make sure he has water. That substrate looks to dry, it's gotta be moist. Use peat not wood chips.And don't worry it's probably scorpion dung. They use they're mouth part to clean them selves.

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah, I noticed that the sub was getting a little dry. I watered it, at its peat moss, though it has some chunks of wood in it.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
try the false bottom set up. I'm really busy to put a link but I'll guide you. At the top of the forum there's a FAQ section in the stickies. Go to it and it has a guide to making a false bottom set up for emps.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So how long ago did she have the babies? Could it be an old exuvium from an I1? They look like dried egg whites.

Are you able to hold her? Take a closer look at it, see if you can tell what it is. Then if you need it cleaned, just take a damp cloth and see if you can remove it.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well,

I have to say it, all of your eyes are very good! I see only a blurry greenish/ whiteish mass at the mouthparts. Can you post better pictures??

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well,

I have to say it, all of your eyes are very good! I see only a blurry greenish/ whiteish mass at the mouthparts. Can you post better pictures??
I can't see it either... I only gave an asumption of what it could be given the info 'he' gave.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can't see it either... I only gave an asumption of what it could be given the info 'he' gave.
I know exactly what he is talking about.. It looks like a small brown ball of dried mush correct gambite?

I have seen this in petstores with emps before.. and also in my own collection with heterometrus when feeding a huge roach (which had convienently made it's way into the package being sent to me).

This happens when the scorpion eats an abnormally large prey item. In my case it was the huge rouge roach, and in the petstore the scorpion was treating itself to another scorpion. What happens (I assume), is after intaking a lot of food at one... something causes the scorpion to start to spit some of the chewed food out. Either a reflex from it's stomach or under it's own will... I have no clue... but eventually this ball of gunk works its way out and just kind of hangs on the front of the scorpion until they scrape it off. The length of time it stayed on the petstore specimen I cannot anwser, but this same thing lasted like a week or so with my heterometrus before I noticed it was gone.

So your anwser is probaly just up-chuck.. but you say it's white. White could mean "a light color" to many, so I gave you my experience above.. because when the ball became dried it was a light color. But of course if it white as in "white white"... then it could always just be dried feces.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ead,

I have seen the same balls of hard cricket parts all together in a pellet. But with my T's.
But, a simple question will shed light on the matter!

Gambite, what did you feed your scorp?

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Michiel,

Have you seen it when the T ate a lot or has it happened on other normal occasions as well? As I said above I was assuming what takes place, but the petsore scorpion eating another scorpion and this hetero. eating the biggest prey I've ever fed.. I had to put two and two together.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ead,

There might be some sense in the size criterium. My T always makes nice pellets of the large crickets she eats. these things remind me bit of owl pellets (if this the correct english word).

Frederick,

If these would be a clutch of nematodes, it would be nasty, and it would be the time to give the scorp a free wintersport...........

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Sorry about the awful pics, all I have is a webcam, and over USB 1.1, it only runs at a low resolution.

I am not sure how long ago it had the babies, but I also have what is supposedly one if them, and I think it is a very fat 1i right now (has eaten two whole (dead)cricks while in my care).

This one also has not eaten at all in the week+ that I have had it. Almost had it eating a crick, but I accidentally shook the tank and it got away.

I picked it up and looked close at it. The white stuff looks almost like fur. On the mouth-pincers (chela?) it is like a dried, caked on residue, but it goes around to the bottom where it is fuzzy and extends all the way down to its mouth.

Also, this one has almost no claws on its feet. whe I picked it up, it was slipping and falling all over the place. More than half of its feet had no claws on them, and the rest had short, worn down claws.

As I said in the first post, this appeared over-night. One day it was fine, then the next I noticed this. I havent had a chance to try wiping it off yet, will try later tonight.

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I took a closer look a few minutes ago. I think the hairs are supposed to be there, as they dont look unnatural. My other Emp has them as well. However, the white stuff is more like little crumbs or bits of caked on...something. I tried wiping it off with a moist rag. A little came off, but not much. If it is fungus, how can I get rid of it? I dont suppose they make anti-fungal cream for scorpions? Can my other Emp catch it from her somehow?

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There is a possibility that it might be able to spread if it is indeed a fungus.
Try using a Q-Tip, some diluted hydrogen peroxide, first with just water to get what you can. It needs it's Chelicerae to eat, that gunk is probably rendering them useless. Also, mites sometime form large clumps around the mouth area.

Last edited:

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Well, I just happen to have some hydrogen peroxide around, now to find Q-tips!

Could this cause any problem besides keeping her from eating? Like, could it be toxic to her at all? It doesnt seem to be growing much, either.

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, I'm not sure. This was used on the upper section of an emp a while back to help remove a fungus growing on the side membranes.

You can wait for someone else to throw their two cents in just to make sure, which I would do ;)

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah sure, put some hydrogen peroxide in it's mouth. :clap: Don't be surprised if it dies. I really sometimes ask myself if you people are using your heads.
Offcourse, this peroxyde will have negative effects on the health of your scorpion. If you can get a bit off with water, why use something else to get the rest off?

Sorry if I overreacted, but man.......the things you encounter on these boards here.....How does emperor poop tastes? I am new to the hobby, I hold Leiurus quinquestriatus in my hands, because I like the tention....:confused: :confused: Gawd!

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
@Michiel

You aren't tactful at all, and to be quite honest it was an idea. It has been used on another thread to remove/kill fungus. If you can't get it off then it dies, if you can kill/remove the growth then there is a good chance it will live. I'd rather do what I could than nothing at all.

How does "How does emp poop taste" involve this thread. Completely off topic, and by far the most unreasonable thing compared to using peroxide to clean off fungus/mold. Oh, wait that's right! I forgot to mention after you use diluted peroxide and a Q-Tip trick, fill a jar with it and place the scorpion in there. Don't forget, shaken not stirred. Then when finished if you don't get the desired results please fill the water bowl with it. Seriously, come on...

I clearly stated: "You can wait for someone else to throw their two cents in just to make sure, which I would do."

Instead of criticizing why don't you contribute to the thread and help out?
You could have easily stated, "That's not a good idea, this is why and here is a better way to solve this." It really surprises me people even use their heads...
If you want to take this up any further please PM me.

Last edited: