White spots on my P.imperator

Octa

Arachnosquire
I am new to scorpions so I just wanted to know what the white spots on
his legs could be?
Its a juvenile scorpion which makes me think that its in need of a molt?

Thanks

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think it has a terrible disease, probably caused by yourself, because you are new to scorps, and you bought one anyway. I could say that it is scorpion poop, just as we all here told a bazillion people before you, but the terminal illness answer is much more fun! :D

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
I think it has a terrible disease, probably caused by yourself, because you are new to scorps, and you bought one anyway. I could say that it is scorpion poop, just as we all here told a bazillion people before you, but the terminal illness answer is much more fun! :D
Or they could be huge mites that will ravage the tank or mold spores that will grow and grow until you can't see anything.;)

@octa:

Nah, seriously, if the spots aren't moving or they don't look fuzzy like mold, then the scorpion should be fine. Don't worry about it unless there is a serious problem.:)

Kaos

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Haha, nice one Michiel :D And yes it's most likely poop :p

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A photo would be very helpful.

If it looks like the white spots near tail segment I in this photo of C. fulvipes with two 2nd instar juveniles it are probably parasitic mites:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah need a pic. Hmm, never seen mites like that before over here John, not the hypopus stage grain mite sps I usually see over here. Hope I don't see those, guess I've been lucky so far.

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Species was WC. Other C. species I found in the same area had same problem. I could brush them off with a small brush, but haven't done so with "mom".

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I meant to ask if it was WC, thanks. I see their long little legs, diff from what I've seen. I wonder what they are:? :evil:

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cleaning? I haven't changed the substrate of my emp tank since I put it in back in nearly 3 years ago.

As for the leg thing, you mean the yellow spot on the 3rd leg in the middle of the leg segment (don't know the scientific name for it, sorry)? I don't think it's a mite, since in my experience they end up at the borders between hard and less hard (?).

In Veracruz I've seen C. gracilis with red/orange colored mites. Will check if I can find a photo.

Octa

Arachnosquire
awesome.
Any tips on how to care for these guys?
Any preferred routines that you have for them?

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi,

This is a commonly kept scorpion, and you can find a lot of info on care, just brows a bit around, you could perhaps use the search function.
you can also wait untill user H.laoticus comes around, he is very knowledgeable on these scorpions.

llamastick

Arachnoknight
Can't really tell the "spot" from the flash there... have a macro mode on the camera?