White species of cockroach?

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Just for clarification, I am not talking about molting roaches, I'm talking about the color of their exoskeleton as adults.
I really like bugs with a lot of white coloration, like certain ironclad beetles and click beetles. However, I can't find very many species of roach with a white coloration. These are the ones I know of:
- Neostylopyga rhombifolia (my favorite type of roach)
- Dorylaea orini
- Pseudomops septentrionalis
- Gyna caffrorum
-
All Therea species in captivity
- Eurycotis decipiens
- Elliptorhina javanica
- Gromphadorhina grandidieri
sort of
- Paranauphoeta discoidalis
- Gyna centurio

Are there any other species? I really want true white rather than yellow or brownish. These are a good selection, but some of them don't really have very much white.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Panchlora sp. "White", a recent addition to the hobby, is almost completely white/ivory, here's some pics of mine:

Males

Female

As you can see, the females are more ivory colored, while the males are a cleaner white color.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Blaberus giganteus also has lots of pallid coloration, and Gyna lurida females also often have pretty pale coloration:

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Oh, cool. I like the looks of the Panchlora sp., but are they as small as the others? I like to have larger roaches so I can see their pretty colors better.
I've always been a fan of Gyna species, but I'm a bit worried about escapees because of their flightiness.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Oh, cool. I like the looks of the Panchlora sp., but are they as small as the others? I like to have larger roaches so I can see their pretty colors better.
I've always been a fan of Gyna species, but I'm a bit worried about escapees because of their flightiness.
The whites are actually as big as the Panchlora sp. "Giant", if that gives you an idea as to size. :)

During the day the Gyna typically stay underground and are overall calmer, at night they go crazy though, like batsh*t crazy, definitely want to avoid opening their enclosure at night if you can, (same goes for the Panchlora).

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
The whites are actually as big as the Panchlora sp. "Giant", if that gives you an idea as to size. :)

During the day the Gyna typically stay underground and are overall calmer, at night they go crazy though, like batsh*t crazy, definitely want to avoid opening their enclosure at night if you can, (same goes for the Panchlora).
Good to know, thanks. Where did you get the white Panchlora?
Also, I don't really recall and can't be bothered to look it up because I'm lazy--do Panchlora spp fly? I know they can climb and run pretty fast.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Good to know, thanks. Where did you get the white Panchlora?
Also, I don't really recall and can't be bothered to look it up because I'm lazy--do Panchlora spp fly? I know they can climb and run pretty fast.
Got them from @wizentrop, who collected this species in Belize. :)

Yes, they definitely can fly, and are pretty good at it too. During the day they are pretty calm, if you don't disturb them too much that is.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Panchlora sp. "White", a recent addition to the hobby, is almost completely white/ivory, here's some pics of mine:

Males

Female

As you can see, the females are more ivory colored, while the males are a cleaner white color.
You guys should try and get this Panchlora sp going. It appears most notably in Orins For The Love of Roaches book, but it's also on Pinterest, and few other sites.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
You guys should try and get this Panchlora sp going.... View attachment 239729 Not my image. It appears most notably in Orins For The Love of Roaches book, but it's also on Pinterest, and few other sites.
Yeah, really hoping that species will find it's way into culture one day, I believe it's an undescribed species. Maybe one day...

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
There's another sp. of Panchlora that's white but has a red edge. Can't find the paper right now but will try to track it down later. It was a new species so it includes descriptions and everything.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Well, you can always help me fund my next trip to Ecuador... ;)
Haha, I already went broke last month buying those Pyrophorus from you, plus the roaches! :p Of course I got a lot of that money back now from selling other stuff, so I just gotta wait for my sawdust to finish fermenting and then you'll be getting some more funds... ;)

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
@Hisserdude , I was joking. I don't expect anyone to pay me to go and look for certain insects.. But getting some stuff from me helps in the long run, as you have noticed.

@VolkswagenBug thank you for the kind words about my photo :)

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
@Hisserdude , I was joking. I don't expect anyone to pay me to go and look for certain insects.. But getting some stuff from me helps in the long run, as you have noticed.

@VolkswagenBug thank you for the kind words about my photo :)
Yeah I know, but still, I do definitely plan on buying some more stuff from you soon! ;) Really do want to be sure I'll have a good chance at breeding these Pyrophorus, they are so beautiful!

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Homalosilpha kryzhanovskii is another beautiful species with a lot of white coloration, as nymphs at least. :) Of course, they haven't made it to the US hobby just yet, but they are established in culture in Europe, so it's probably only a matter of time.