White Lined Gecko Egg - is it fertile?

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
Can anyone tell me if this egg is fertile? It has a red glow and a dark dot on the inside but it’s hard to tell. D892C0BF-BCF4-4E4A-84BE-E5D94DA09DB7.jpeg

SamanthaMarikian

Arachnoknight
it kinda looks like somethings growing inside. Could u try lighting it from the other side to see if there are veins? I have mourning geckos and they’re always laid in tiny holes in the cork bark so its hard for me to tell if theyre fertile so i kinda just wait to see if it hatches in a few months and if not, take it out, or if it starts to smell. Maybe that little dot in there is an eye? How long ago was it laid?

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
i think its fertile
It’s definitely not old enough to have eyes yet, I think at most that’s the yolk. It does have veins, very clearly, it’s just hard to see in that image. The veins can be seen without candling it just with the light in the room.

SamanthaMarikian

Arachnoknight
It’s definitely not old enough to have eyes yet, I think at most that’s the yolk. It does have veins, very clearly, it’s just hard to see in that image. The veins can be seen without candling it just with the light in the room.
how long ago was it laid? Bc that lil spot almost looks black and like the outline of a lil geck. Maybe its just me then lol

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
how long ago was it laid? Bc that lil spot almost looks black and like the outline of a lil geck. Maybe its just me then lol
When I posted the picture it was pretty recent, maybe about a week. The black spot has been changing and getting larger though so I think if it isn’t a gecko then it’s the nucleus of the yolk starting to split into a gecko. I would definitely agree with you at this point that it’s fertile since it has been so dynamic. However, that gecko has never been in contact with a male and laid only one egg instead of two like they’re supposed to. If the egg hatches, there would be no other explanation than parthenogenesis.

SamanthaMarikian

Arachnoknight
When I posted the picture it was pretty recent, maybe about a week. The black spot has been changing and getting larger though so I think if it isn’t a gecko then it’s the nucleus of the yolk starting to split into a gecko. I would definitely agree with you at this point that it’s fertile since it has been so dynamic. However, that gecko has never been in contact with a male and laid only one egg instead of two like they’re supposed to. If the egg hatches, there would be no other explanation than parthenogenesis.
When did you get the gecko? I had a leopard gecko lay two fertile eggs a few months after i got her. Idk how long they can store sperm for if they were mated before and if theyre capable of parthenogenesis. If you’ve had her for a long time n this just happened that’d be cool

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Wouldn't be surprised if it's a partho.. Hell retics have dropped fatherless clutches.. A boa did also back in the 90's.. It's like dude said in Jurrasic park "Nature finds a way" .. Honestly this species could lay partho clutches in the wild regularly.. I haven't looked into it.

If it's a wc or even cb if it was ever with a mature male their is a chance it retained sperm even though it itself wasn't mature.