Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

white leg centipede help

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by Peyton Bemis, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Peyton Bemis

Peyton Bemis Arachnopeon Active Member

Advertisement
    I need help with my white leg centipede theres nothing online that has information. On how much I feed or husbandry I know to keep them dry and I heard organic top soil works best but I got eco earth :( I really need help can anyone help me? Hopefully I did this right this is my first time posting...

Attached Files:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. basin79

basin79 Arachnoemperor Active Member

This would be better in the Myriapods section. There's loads of helpful threads on Scolopendra gigantea on this very forum. Eco earth is fine. I'd have deeper sub and have the bottom damp and the top dry. Water dish and a piece of cork bark or hide large enough for the pede to get under.

3. NYAN

NYAN Arachnoking Active Member

CA
    I love how people get animals first and then ask questions about care later.

Anyway, keep this species on the dry side. There should be a moisture gradient under hides or deeper in the substrate. Coco fiber isn’t bad, but for a species that likes it dry it will not support burrowing very well. You can mix the coco fiber with other ingredients like clay, sand and small rocks. Make sure the pede has a hide and a water dish. For feeding, once or twice a week with an appropriate sized food item is fine.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Peyton Bemis

How many crickets a week would you feed?

5. Nicholas Rothstein

Nicholas Rothstein Arachnoknight Active Member

Oh buddy you could have possibly sentenced this guy to death. Do not buy animals without knowing their care requirements. Please treat animals with respect, they aren't toys were you open the box and then look up the instructions online because you threw them away.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Nicholas Rothstein

That brings me to another point. People who sell animals to people that don't know their care requirements or aren't prepared for the animals inhabitance are a problem. Most pet stores should be shut down for animal cruelty and abuse.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. NYAN

CA
    How large is the pede?

Have you kept any centipedes or invertebrates before?

8. Peyton Bemis

I posted a picture above theres nothing on these online. And I've done mass research to the people that say I haven't lmao. I just need to know how much to feed. People are telling me different google is saying different.

9. Peyton Bemis

There isnt much on these species is why I'm asking for help. Instead of insult me can u try to help? That's why I'm here asking. And everyone is telling me different same with google says 2 crickets a day... and people telling me 12 to 10 a week.... and some are saying to feed till hes done eating then wait 2 weeks... idk

10. Nicholas Rothstein

We need a numerical measurement.

If you have done your research you would've known that this isnt a beginner species... And you would know its care requirements. You wouldn't be asking questions about basic things. And you wouldn't have said there was no information online :) don't lie. Knowing what to feed it and how it is supposed to be kept is just the basics.

11. Peyton Bemis

I'm on lots of groups on facebook also. I was saying there NOT ALOT of information on this species and theres not lmao.

* If anyone can actually help that would be awesome thanks.

12. Peyton Bemis

I'm not a idiot.. I know what to feed crickets roaches sometimes veggies sometime fruits and even cat food sometimes but I dont feed that. What I need to know is the appropriate amount of food I am suppose to feed. And also I'm trying to figure out a good substrate to use also cause this eco earth isnt holding his burrows.

13. Nicholas Rothstein

You bought the centipede before you knew how to feed it. You put it in a less preferable environment.

I haven't insulted you in the slightest. If you feel negative to what I said then I have no idea what you want me to say.

If you give a numerical measurement on its size then I could tell you how often to feed it.

14. Peyton Bemis

I would say 12 inches. I sent u a picture does it look over weight.. its scales are even bending back..

Attached Files:

15. NYAN

CA
    Yes. I saw the photo. I would prefer a measurement. Anyway, assuming it is the size that most of them come in as, 1-2 large crickets a week is fine. You can supplement this with f/t mice, various meats, and other insects.

This is all pretty terrible advice. Google doesn’t keep centipedes but they like to recommend sources that are subpar. I would recommend ignoring all of the online care sheets and stuff that is said online. A lot of it is outdated and incorrect. At least you came here, so that’s good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. NYAN

CA
    Honestly this is false. The giants are actually pretty easy to keep and make great beginner species. They have great temperament and weak venom also. If they weren’t so expensive I would recommend them.

I’m happy they are here asking questions. Late is better than never. I also would agree that the information online is lacking, and should also be straight up avoided. I do agree that they should’ve come here first before getting it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. NYAN

CA

I don’t think it’s 12 inches. The color would be different if it was. It’s not overweight either. In fact, I would say it is a bit thin. When they start looking more like a sausage than a centipede is when they are overweight.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  18. Nicholas Rothstein

That is why I said it isn't a beginner species. They are costly. I think peop
    I agree with what you said, but I don't think they are a beginner species because of the price and lack of knowledge.

Google is terrible... apparently it teaches you on wikihow to handle your centipedes.

19. Nicholas Rothstein

12 inches? That is big!

20. NYAN

CA
    Here’s what one of my giant sp. is kept in. I’ve kept white legs like this before but with drier substrate. This one was just flooded the other day. Follow the recipe that I suggested for your substrate. Water the substrate and let it dry out so that the pede can burrow. Make sure there is good ventilation to achieve this.

@Andrew101 can you post a photo of your setup please?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.