White/Gray/Brown/Black Recommendations?

ebastyr

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone,

I'm incredibly partial to white-ish/gray/brown/black ts and looking for some more unusual recommendations, especially on the gray-brown side of things. New/old world, doesn't matter! My favorite to date is the S. hoffmanni (which I'm lucky enough to own).

Side recommendations for what I call 'muted shinies' similar to the P. cambridgei or the T. rasti also welcomed. :)

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
You could probably find the most light colored and gray-brown species of any NW genus in Aphonopelma. A. chalcodes, A. moderatum, A. crinirufum, A. gabeli (this one is cool black/gray/brown), A. hentzi for example. Also some Euathlus species with lighter coloration (E. manicata, E. parvulus), and Nhandu trippepi are some blondish colored ones like you mentioned.

ebastyr

Arachnopeon
You could probably find the most light colored and gray-brown species of any NW genus in Aphonopelma. A. chalcodes, A. moderatum, A. crinirufum, A. gabeli (this one is cool black/gray/brown), A. hentzi for example. Also some Euathlus species with lighter coloration (E. manicata, E. parvulus), and Nhandu trippepi are some blondish colored ones like you mentioned.
Great list, thank you! I tend to avoid any reds or 'warm' coloring which cuts a lot of options, but the A. gabeli was one I didn't have on the list. Did just get an N. trippepi I'm excited to watch grow. Thanks again!

ZGuy

Arachnopeon
Honestly you can’t go wrong with Chilobrachys Huahini. And if you want a fun regular good ol’ brown T then get literally any Therphosa species. My little stirmi is so much fun.

favilla

Arachnopeon
Seconding the H Maculata rec! I’ve seen them ranging from brown to gray to white, but regardless of base color their markings are just so beautiful too. I’ve not been able to get a good pic of mine bc she’s shy and bolts when she sees me pull out the camera, but she’s a gorgeous medium-dark gray. Def one of my faves

Marlana

Arachnoknight
Hmm 🤔 off the top of my head Aphonopelma crinirufum (or burcia, not sure what the correct name is).Mine is still small but a lot of pictures I’ve seen have been grayish. Also Aphonopelma paloma if you’re into dwarfs, about as gray as can be.

I’ll have to think more about this one.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
H. macs and Chilobrachys certainly fit the bill color-wise, but they aren't NW species like the OP asked about. More Aphonopelma species to consider are A. johnnycashi, A. iodius, A. eutylenum, and A. steindachneri - none of which have significant amounts of red setae.

Marlana

Arachnoknight
H. macs and Chilobrachys certainly fit the bill color-wise, but they aren't NW species like the OP asked about. More Aphonopelma species to consider are A. johnnycashi, A. iodius, A. eutylenum, and A. steindachneri - none of which have significant amounts of red setae.
They said it doesn’t matter if they are old or new world. I read it as new world at first too 😅

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
They said it doesn’t matter if they are old or new world. I read it as new world at first too 😅
Ha! You're right... I think they must have edited that original post because I swear it specified NW when it first went up. Oh well, in that case there are a whole bunch of other options. Haplopelma sp. Bach ma is a really cool tan and brown with some blonde and gray coloration:
P8130062.JPG

Several of the Ornithoctoninae species are tan/brown/gray, as are some Pterinochilus species.

Oh, another NW is Ephebopus murinus:
P8090040.JPG

Seems like a lot of the "pet hole" species fit the requirements! :lol:

ebastyr

Arachnopeon
[
Haplopelma sp. Bach ma is a really cool tan and brown with some blonde and gray coloration:
View attachment 426499

Several of the Ornithoctoninae species
You nailed so many! The Haplopelma sp. Bach ma is on my wish list and I JUST ordered a Ornithoctoninae sp Davao Oriental! The Ephebopus murinus is already in my collection. :)

ebastyr

Arachnopeon
These are fantastic, thank you! I had completely forgotten about A. johnnycashi and haven't heard of the last two. They're all on the list now. :)

ebastyr

Arachnopeon
Hmm 🤔 off the top of my head Aphonopelma crinirufum (or burcia, not sure what the correct name is).Mine is still small but a lot of pictures I’ve seen have been grayish. Also Aphonopelma paloma if you’re into dwarfs, about as gray as can be.

I’ll have to think more about this one.
Aphonopelma paloma is definitely a contender. I do enjoy dwarfs. Thank you!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
H. maculata
S. calceatum
O. schioedtei
Ceratogyrus spp.
Chilobrachys spp.
P. muticus
Hysterocrates spp.
Theraphosa spp.
G. pulchra
T. schroederi