White Centipedes?

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Last week I had a shipment of various WC and probably mislabeled centipedes come in. I had 2 come in that were labeled as "Egyptian Centipedes" and they are pretty much totally white. I figured they had just molted but wanted to find out if anyone knew of any white species. They were still white a day after they arrived. I'll check them again today to see how they look. I did take some pics so I'll probably post them here later if they still look the same. Most of my pedes hide while molting and "drying out"... Are many of them totally white just after a molt?

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice Dave, let us see some pics :). Let's also see if you can take better pics of the Sumatran centipedes than i can, hehe!!!! I'm sure you'll beat me anythime!!!!

phil.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
there were these ghostly centipedes someone was catching out of 29 palms area in california.... there was like, NO coloration on them at all... freaky looking

i have a tiger centipede that is totally missing black coloration

i would hold on to those... might be something interesting :)

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I went to the animal facility on my lunch break to check on the white centipedes to see if they had dried out or changed colour. Both of them still look excatly the same! Is this a fairly rare species? I have 2 that are around 4" or so. They were both marked as being from Egypt but we all know how the WC sources can be unreliable. That's one of the reasons I enjoy ordering things that are just listed as "Centipede" because you never know what you're going to get! I'll post some pics when I get home from work so we can all play the game of guess that pede :)

Phil, I LOVE the Sumatrans! They are so red! I made the mistake of not trying to take pics as I was unpacking them. I'll try to poke them out and get them to sit still long enough to get some decent pics. I've set them all up in enclosures that give them enough room to burrow and hopefully lay eggs so we'll see what happens! I'm going to feed them all tonight so perhaps that will coax them out!

Pics to come!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I went to the animal facility on my lunch break to check on the white centipedes to see if they had dried out or changed colour. Both of them still look excatly the same! Is this a fairly rare species? I have 2 that are around 4" or so. They were both marked as being from Egypt but we all know how the WC sources can be unreliable. That's one of the reasons I enjoy ordering things that are just listed as "Centipede" because you never know what you're going to get! I'll post some pics when I get home from work so we can all play the game of guess that pede :)
i have no idea what sp those white guys are... i'm just saying, regardless of what they are they are like, neat, you know?

can't wait to see pics :drool:

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ok guys, here are some pics I snapped a short time ago. Sorry some of the pics aren't totally clear! Let me know what you think!

So... Any thoughts? Not sure what they are but I'm definitely keeping them! Can you say "breeding pair" LOL I can only keep my fingers crossed {D

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Keep in mind that these pics were taken DAYS after I received them so I believe this is their regular colouration!

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:clap: wow very nice pedes! i never seen them that color(only in molting) could they be cinguluta? don't know,but man they are killer!

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
:clap: wow very nice pedes! i never seen them that color(only in molting) could they be cinguluta? don't know,but man they are killer!
They came in with some other pedes that were marked as Egyptian cingulatas so they may be cingulatas. I'm hoping people looking at these pics will help with the ID :)

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
the pictures aren't clear enough to make an ID, but the overall look does remind me of Scolopendra canidens.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
zounds dude. those absolutely stunning!

lol, they look like giant versions of the last level nymphs before pedelings color up

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'll attempt to get some better pics in the next few days. It can be hard to get the little buggers to sit still!
So is this a fairly rare species? Do all of this species look this way or could it be a genetic mutation for a colour phase?

Pretty soon I'm just going to start calling them Scolopendra Sp. "Avery" :}

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'll attempt to get some better pics in the next few days. It can be hard to get the little buggers to sit still!
So is this a fairly rare species? Do all of this species look this way or could it be a genetic mutation for a colour phase?

Pretty soon I'm just going to start calling them Scolopendra Sp. "Avery" :}
or you can call them scolopendra sp."ivory" :D good luck with them.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I told them not to mix that strong of a bleach solution to kill the mites !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What is wrong with those people !!!! Just cant get good help anymore.
At least they didnt use hot water and shrink them ...

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I told them not to mix that strong of a bleach solution to kill the mites !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What is wrong with those people !!!! Just cant get good help anymore.
At least they didnt use hot water and shrink them ...
Haha! Maybe they did shrink them too :p They're only 4-5" right now so maybe they were origionally a giant, normal coloured pede LOL