Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Whip Spider- Broken sensory legs, should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Other Spiders & Arachnids' started by Wayne Guillot, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Wayne Guillot

Wayne Guillot Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hello, I recently purchased a whip Spider and it seems very healthy moves around, explores and I have been misting it a ton like so many other forum posts have said. I even posted a thread wondering about it's behavior because it hadn't eaten yet. I got the replies of yes just keep misting flood the terrarium, give it time to get acclimated to it's environment. However, it still hasn't eating and I think it might have something to do with the sensory legs being broken (bought the poor thing in that condition) one leg is broken at thr 2nd joint and the other one looks like it got broken off at the 3 joint. She is still very active but still no hunting behavior even though it has been some time. Should I be worried? Or just give it more time? I am new to keeping these animals so any info you would have would be appreciated.

2. basin79

basin79 Arachnoemperor Active Member

Losing their feelers won't stop them eating if food is right near them so that's not the reason.

Could be premoult if not already adult although if it was premoult I'd imagine they'd stay behind their cork bark.

What feeders are you using?

3. Sikalisko

Sikalisko Arachnopeon

I remember reading somewhere that some keeper fed pre-killed food for his/her D. diadema, and somewhere else about some species of Phrynus accepting pre-killed insects as well (sorry, I didn't even bother to look for links to these).

Since I got curious about this, I've tested this with my juvenile P. marginemaculatus and they seem to sometimes accept pieces of freshly killed roach. Or at least sometimes the pieces had disappeared and once I've found the (already mouldy) piece of roach from totally different spot on the other side of the bark than where I had placed it few days earlier. So it must have at least carried it around if not eaten any. Since this seemed easier than trying to ensure that they manage to catch small insects often enough, I've continued offering them pieces of roaches occasionally. At least I'm able to offer them one more food item that way to give them variety :)

If you are that worried and its abdomen starts to seem really thin, it might be worth giving it a try and offer it a pre-killed cricket or roach and see if it accepts it during the night, as long as you collect it the next day if it wasn't eaten. Place is somewhere where it's likely to walk across and touch it. I wouldn't be too worried if it doesn't eat for couple of weeks though, multiple people on this forum have mentioned that sometimes they stop eating for few weeks.

How is your terrarium's temperature by the way? I'm not really expert on keeping Amblypygi since I've bought mine just couple of months ago but temperature seems to be important to not just general health and immune system but appetite as well for many invertebrates.

4. aphono

aphono Arachnobaron Active Member

Main thing is as long as the abdomen is not paper thin, then things hopefully are going okay with it. The abdomen does swell up when they get closer to premolt so not eating + abdomen still looking fat= probably premolt.

As long as they are able to move around, feeding is not that much of a concern. Personally for something like that I might try to make the enclosure a bit bare bones or "boring" to make it easier for it to move around and capturing prey. Pretty much just cork bark- preferably flats but larger rounds, broader bark pieces should be okay. Styrofoam is great stuff if you don't mind looking at it. No plant decorations or things that might interfere in prey capture. It's fine if the enclosure is nicely decorated, they will manage okay if you don't want to make changes.

Type of feeder is a good question. Some will eat roaches and other things but get super excited at crickets. If yours is a large juvie or adult, giving the biggest fattest cricket can make it easier for them to capture. No harm in trying prekilled. I don't prekill for any of mine but have observed several instances they went for an absolutely still prey so that's essentially the same thing. If you're worried, try one prekilled one live cricket or alternate between them but honestly if the abdomen looks okay and it's not sitting on the substrateI would not worry too much.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mantisfan101

mantisfan101 Arachnoangel Active Member

If it’s a wc import(which they almost always are), then don’t expect it to eat for a while. My female that I got was also a wc import and it took 2 months for her to start feeding. I’d try everything but she didn’t eat until about a solid 2 months mater, I saw her munching on a cricket I left overnight. As long as she’s not too thin, she should be fine. These don’t really seem to have that much of a big appetite, especially wc imports. Just focus on keeping the humidity high and don’t stress her out too much as of right now and wait a couple weeks/month and see what happens.

6. Wayne Guillot

I have a light that keeps the temperature around 75 daily I put that on while I attend classes and do my daily buisness

7. Wayne Guillot

Ok then I do appreciate it I'll just hang tight then.

8. Wayne Guillot

Well I do have feeder crickets that chill in the terrarium. But she hasn't touched any of them Ill probably take them out later tonight.

9. basin79

Yet my lass fed about 2 hours after I inboxed her.

• Like Like x 1
  10. basin79

Aye don't leave crickets in for long unattended. They'll happily eat a moulting arachnid.

11. mantisfan101

I think each individual has their own personality/attitude...I’ve seen some that never stopped eating only before a molt yet there’s mine which vanishes at the sight(touch?) of a cricket.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. basin79

My lass stalks and catches crickets with a light shining in her but if she's out wandering at night and I walk in she shoots straight back to hiding.

13. mantisfan101

If I go so much as to even walk by her enclosure she just shoots behind her cork bark. The only time when she’ll every stay out is if she’s eating.

• Like Like x 1
  14. basin79

It's bloody funny watching them just "disappear" though when they run.

• Like Like x 1
  15. mantisfan101

I was rehousing mine once and she just shot up my sleeve and down mt shirt...not a very fun experience.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. basin79

When my lass arrived I thought with her not being up to temperature would be the best and probably only chance of getting pics. Took a few and she'd gone. I had loads of hides etcetera around so knew she'd go under 1 but hell fire I was surprised by how fast they can move.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.