Whip scorpions

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Dunno if this is the right place to post this….

But I have been thinking about getting one and don’t know much about them.

I have done basic research but I figure this is the best place to get the real and correct information!

My phones dying and I have more to say… I’m not 100% ignorant I promise, but could anyone give me a bit of info so I can read it when I get my cell charged up again….

Basic care, cost, life span, different species, make vs female… those type of things would be helpful.

If I’m not in the right forum lemme know too lol!!

Thanks guys!

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Are you referring to Thelyphonida or Amblypygi?
I’m so new at this that I’m not even sure these genus or species.

What has your research revealed? 😏
Didn’t know you were in the whip scorpion community, Viper… you’re everywhere, fool! Or are you just stalking me, sitting and waiting, until I post something so you can be a wise ass about it. Your trolling is legendary, my friend!

Lol but for real… Just little stuff like how much humidity (won’t be a problem bc I have lots of tarantulas and they seem to like the same temperature), their temperaments are quite shy, they like high humidity, they molt upside down, they are private eaters, they eat crickets and worms, etc. I’m sure there’s more to it though…

I think I was researching “whip scorpions”
- don’t know the Latin name/species that comes with that generic title. Also what I don’t know is where you can purchase them and what the price is and how do you grow them up from babies because I’d like to get a scorpling (dunno if they call it back…) and grow it up.

If anyone has any of that info, please, share your knowledge with me!

Than you sll

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Didn’t know you were in the whip scorpion community, Viper… you’re everywhere, fool! Or are you just stalking me, sitting and waiting, until I post something so you can be a wise ass about it. Your trolling is legendary, my friend!

Lol but for real… Just little stuff like how much humidity (won’t be a problem bc I have lots of tarantulas and they seem to like the same temperature), their temperaments are quite shy, they like high humidity, they molt upside down, they are private eaters, they eat crickets and worms, etc. I’m sure there’s more to it though…

- don’t know the Latin name/species that comes with that generic title. Also what I don’t know is where you can purchase them and what the price is and how do you grow them up from babies because I’d like to get a scorpling (dunno if they call it back…) and grow it up.

Than you sll
Smotzer's question is kinda paramount here, as "whip spiders" and "whip scorpions" get confused very frequently, and are very different animals with very different needs. You're saying you looked into whip scorpions(Uropygi) but some of the things that you mention(like molting upside down? I assume hanging is what you mean) apply to whip spiders(Amblypygi).

I can help advise if you're thinking Amblypygi, but I have far less experience with Uropygi.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Than you sll
I asked to save everyone from having to type what you already know- logical question 😉

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I asked to save everyone from having to type what you already know- logical question 😉
Why u pickin on me, eh?
but that’s so much!!

Land lobsters?

Or leggy boys?
I’ll have to figure out more about the difference- anyone have a favorite preference among the 2?

Smotzer's question is kinda paramount here, as "whip spiders" and "whip scorpions" get confused very frequently, and are very different animals with very different needs. You're saying you looked into whip scorpions(Uropygi) but some of the things that you mention(like molting upside down? I assume hanging is what you mean) apply to whip spiders(Amblypygi).

I can help advise if you're thinking Amblypygi, but I have far less experience with Uropygi.
Please, could u sum up the differences? I’m hoping to hear others experiences and preferences along with the hard facts

Sorry guys… I’m insanely unprepared to ask all these questions- I’m picking the minds of friends who have them. But I’ll do more research and come back with more specific inquiries.
…that should make you feel a bit better, @viper69

Pretty sure I’ll look into Amblypygis

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
If you ever come across Damon diadema or Damon medius, I’d definitely cop one.

Tallish enclosure, damp substrate, large vertical cork bark or styrofoam piece.

Some helpful advice in the link below!

catboyeuthanasia

Arachnosquire
I got myself an amblypygid and its probably the most low-stress pet I own

The one weird requirement is that they like verticle dark spaces. So a tall enclosure with two pieces of cork leaning on each other or a hollow cork tube would do them well

I also notices that these guys are a lot more shy than tarantulas. Mine would not eat unless the room it was in is completely dark. On the other hand they are some of the most docile arachnids around. No venom, negligible bite, can survive falls, and no urticating hairs

They apparently breed really well in captivity too so if you find a some CB ones, you've struck gold.

As for uropygi, I've always wanted one, but they sell for $300+ where I live, when they used to sell for $20 when I was a child, so I never had the chance to get one. They are terrestrial but I don't know much else.

Last edited:

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Please, could u sum up the differences? I’m hoping to hear others experiences and preferences along with the hard facts
I'm heavily biased towards Amblypygi but I'll do my best! The biggest differences you'll find are that

1. Amblypygi are majority arboreal, and when they have terrestrial habits it mostly applies to digging out underneath vertical hides, or taking refuge in leaf litter. Uropygi are strictly terrestrial, borderline fossorial at times. Uropygi will spend periods of time underground for molting(or longer for the species that diapause) while Amblypygi generally molt from an arboreal surface, like a slanted piece of cork or even the ceiling of the enclosure.

2. Amblypygi are MUCH faster, and more skittish. They have no venom or chemical defense, so they much rather run like Sparrasids do than stand and fight(with the exception of the larger species). Uropygi have a chemical defense, in which they'll spray a noxious chemical when disturbed, but are pretty slow and durdly. Generally this just smells like vinegar and isn't that irritating, but your mileage may vary and should be careful not to get it in your eyes etc.

3. Amblypygi generally need more active, softer bodied prey, whereas Uropygi will just wrestle anything you put in front of them. Both are very fun to watch hunt, but I find the Amblypygi to have a more methodical and interesting to watch process.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Pretty sure I’ll look into Amblypygis
You really can't go wrong with them- setup and care can be very simple, or as complex as you want it.

For my most simple enclosures, I just make holes in a tall dog-food or cereal storage container, put about an inch or two of moist soil or coco, and a tall wide slant of styrofoam. You can also use cork, but I find styrofoam cheap, easy to clean, and easiest to monitor the animal on. 90% of my 30+ species/varieties thrive and even breed under these conditions. If you want to get fancy they also do great in fully planted terraria, with cork rounds and logs etc- but it isn't a requirement. I just enjoy making those setups for my animals and I know plenty of others do too!

(attached images of both kinds of enclosures)

As for temps and food, most species do fine at room temp and will actually even scavenge, so active prey like crickets and roaches work or can even be prekilled in a pinch. I feed and remoisten the enclosure once a week for all of mine, but adults can go much longer without food.

I would caution to avoid WC Damon medius as your first, because they tend to come in badly beat up and dehydrated. It takes a lot of TLC to get them back up to shape and it can be difficult even if you know exactly what you're doing.

Feel free to PM me if you do decide to get one, as I almost always have a spread of CB species ready to go. I just don't post here often enough to be active for the classifieds.

Attachments

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Probably most wont know where to begin, because they are 2 very different and diverse groups of organisms. like ants and bees. similar but different.

Also, they are arachnids, not insects or others, so the arachnid forum has a decent amount of info on both groups :)

Either way, pick species and research accordingly. it would be like picking through orb weavers and tarantulas, too vast a group. narrow it down a bit :)

Both groups, however, are super cool! I find vinegaroons easier personally. but that's not a fair statement as I have only kept a handful of species from either group and only really breed and witness wild habits of 1 species. Like comparing a dwarf chameleon to a leopard gecko. hard to say, other than they are all pretty cool.

FlamingSwampert

Arachnosquire
I'm heavily biased towards Amblypygi but I'll do my best! The biggest differences you'll find are that

1. Amblypygi are majority arboreal, and when they have terrestrial habits it mostly applies to digging out underneath vertical hides, or taking refuge in leaf litter. Uropygi are strictly terrestrial, borderline fossorial at times. Uropygi will spend periods of time underground for molting(or longer for the species that diapause) while Amblypygi generally molt from an arboreal surface, like a slanted piece of cork or even the ceiling of the enclosure.

2. Amblypygi are MUCH faster, and more skittish. They have no venom or chemical defense, so they much rather run like Sparrasids do than stand and fight(with the exception of the larger species). Uropygi have a chemical defense, in which they'll spray a noxious chemical when disturbed, but are pretty slow and durdly. Generally this just smells like vinegar and isn't that irritating, but your mileage may vary and should be careful not to get it in your eyes etc.

3. Amblypygi generally need more active, softer bodied prey, whereas Uropygi will just wrestle anything you put in front of them. Both are very fun to watch hunt, but I find the Amblypygi to have a more methodical and interesting to watch process.
Amblypygi are arboreal land crabs, uropygi are fossorial/terrestrial land lobsters lol

Luciano Insana

Arachnopeon
I’ll have to figure out more about the difference- anyone have a favorite preference among the 2?
I have both and I prefer Vinigaroons because are easier to handle because they are slower and don't try run away when they are in your hand.

I got myself an amblypygid and its probably the most low-stress pet I own

The one weird requirement is that they like verticle dark spaces. So a tall enclosure with two pieces of cork leaning on each other or a hollow cork tube would do them well

I also notices that these guys are a lot more shy than tarantulas. Mine would not eat unless the room it was in is completely dark. On the other hand they are some of the most docile arachnids around. No venom, negligible bite, can survive falls, and no urticating hairs

They apparently breed really well in captivity too so if you find a some CB ones, you've struck gold.

As for uropygi, I've always wanted one, but they sell for $300+ where I live, when they used to sell for $20 when I was a child, so I never had the chance to get one. They are terrestrial but I don't know much else.
I got a fully grown uropygi for $20 at a insect fair and I've never seen one more expensive than $40

FlamingSwampert

Arachnosquire
I have both and I prefer Vinigaroons because are easier to handle because they are slower and don't try run away when they are in your hand.
Yeah they're pretty chill
I got a fully grown uropygi for $20 at a insect fair and I've never seen one more expensive than $40
Just bought a sub adult for $30 at an insect shop, got a young one for $15 last summer