Whip scorpion questions

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
Hey guys, I am new to this and I wanted to know what its like to own a vinegaroon. Are they ghost pets? can they see light? I just want an observing pet. Also wanted to know how long it takes for it to grow a decent size?

also any other long lived arachnids of large size that do not possess stingers or large fangs like ts or scorps?

My mom doesnt like the idea of tarantulas but might be okay with vinegaroon

Last edited:

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
You could get a whipspider. Don’t know about vinegaroons though. I hear they dig a lot, but not sure. What type of vinegaroon?

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
You could get a whipspider. Don’t know about vinegaroons though. I hear they dig a lot, but not sure. What type of vinegaroon?
The only two I know of is the giant one and the indian one. I love both in terms of aesthetics.

I am just looking for a nice pet "bug"/arthropod to keep.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Both vinegaroons and whip spiders are nocturnal animals, so they will generally spend most of the daylight hours in their hides or burrows or cork tubes or behind their cork slabs. At night, though, they will come out and prowl around - especially as it approaches feeding day and they start getting hungry, you can see them actively hunting. I have only ever had vinegaroons that I've purchased as adults, and have never tried breeding them, so I couldn't say how fast they'll grow. I have been keeping (and breeding) whip spiders for quite a while, though. They grow pretty slowly - but I also don't power feed them. If I did, they'd grow faster. Both are fairly long-lived.

Neither vinegaroons nor whip spiders are particularly suitable for handling. They are skittish and their whips are delicate and easily damaged. Whip spiders seem to be the more skittish of the two and more likely to bolt or jump, while vinegaroons are a bit more docile. I do not routinely handle any of my inverts, but I do handle some of them a couple of times a year for classroom demonstrations. With the vinegaroons, I can pick them up and show them to the kids. With the whip spiders, I typically just pick up the cork slab that they are on and bring that around instead. They are reluctant to "change surfaces" - like from bark to skin or clothing - so will just stay on the bark and skitter from one side to the other.

I love both, though I have to admit that I prefer whip spiders slightly over vinegaroons. No real reason why - I just like the way they look. While they do spend most of the daytime hiding, I'm usually busy during the day anyway. At night I can go up to my invert room, pull up a chair, and relax while I watch my critters.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Vinegaroons can be a ton of fun. When they do their digging at night, you can flash a light on them and it seems to not affect their behavior much. They just carry on like normal. So much fun to watch them hunt, too!

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
Both vinegaroons and whip spiders are nocturnal animals, so they will generally spend most of the daylight hours in their hides or burrows or cork tubes or behind their cork slabs. At night, though, they will come out and prowl around - especially as it approaches feeding day and they start getting hungry, you can see them actively hunting. I have only ever had vinegaroons that I've purchased as adults, and have never tried breeding them, so I couldn't say how fast they'll grow. I have been keeping (and breeding) whip spiders for quite a while, though. They grow pretty slowly - but I also don't power feed them. If I did, they'd grow faster. Both are fairly long-lived.

Neither vinegaroons nor whip spiders are particularly suitable for handling. They are skittish and their whips are delicate and easily damaged. Whip spiders seem to be the more skittish of the two and more likely to bolt or jump, while vinegaroons are a bit more docile. I do not routinely handle any of my inverts, but I do handle some of them a couple of times a year for classroom demonstrations. With the vinegaroons, I can pick them up and show them to the kids. With the whip spiders, I typically just pick up the cork slab that they are on and bring that around instead. They are reluctant to "change surfaces" - like from bark to skin or clothing - so will just stay on the bark and skitter from one side to the other.

I love both, though I have to admit that I prefer whip spiders slightly over vinegaroons. No real reason why - I just like the way they look. While they do spend most of the daytime hiding, I'm usually busy during the day anyway. At night I can go up to my invert room, pull up a chair, and relax while I watch my critters.

How do you watch them behave at night though? I am nocturnal but those bright blue "moon lights" hurt my already bad vision....

I prefer seeing in cool daylight bulbs. How would I get to look at it at night? Are vinegaroons going to show themselves at night?

I don't mind if they are somewhat inactive as long as they are not hidden 24/7. They're not fish but as an ornamental pet I'd atleast like to appreciate their "design" even if static. As well as get to see them feed.

Also I should clarify, I am kind of a wuss. I wouldnt hold one. If i had to move it to a different enclosure I'd get a large cup, place it in a corner and herd it to the cup with a long cotton swab or something i wont accidentally hurt it with... I see people herd them and reg. scorpions with tongs, but I'm a cautious person.

I have no interest in handling.

In fact if I was allowed a tarantula I'd get a GBG if I knew how to transfer it without myself being bit by it or chased by it. Anything jumping at me would make me flinch.

I like how they make webs, and are apparently active (for a tarantula) and aren't hiding 24/7.

My ultimate goal would be to get to the point of having a tarantula without my family freaking out....

And yes I know invertebrates are inactive (except social insects like ants, termites, bees, wasps- and Id keep formicariums but they seem more delicate than keeping a t or a scorp with the process involved and the ease of fungus growing and killing them all).

I would had gone for a mantid but they are super short lived soo eh for me.

So basically it came back to vinegaroons but not 100% convinced if id see them at night at the very least....

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
Vinegaroons can be a ton of fun. When they do their digging at night, you can flash a light on them and it seems to not affect their behavior much. They just carry on like normal. So much fun to watch them hunt, too!
Would there be a night time light I could use that's not as harsh on my eyes like those lights they use on reef tanks, or the purple lights? they seem to hurt my eyes.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How do you watch them behave at night though? I am nocturnal but those bright blue "moon lights" hurt my already bad vision....

I prefer seeing in cool daylight bulbs. How would I get to look at it at night? Are vinegaroons going to show themselves at night?
They don't seem to be all that sensitive to lights. I usually just flip on the room lights and watch them like that at night. As long as I don't get too close, bump the tank, or make any sudden moves, they will usually ignore me. I have also used flashlights and red lights to observe them. When I had a pair of whip spiders that were mating, I used a flashlight because I didn't want to disturb them.

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
They don't seem to be all that sensitive to lights. I usually just flip on the room lights and watch them like that at night. As long as I don't get too close, bump the tank, or make any sudden moves, they will usually ignore me. I have also used flashlights and red lights to observe them. When I had a pair of whip spiders that were mating, I used a flashlight because I didn't want to disturb them.

how active are they at night would you say? and how long does it take to get big?

basin79

ArachnoGod
I have a Mastigoproctus giganteus. So wish I'd have bought one sooner. Absolutely tremendous little arachnids. They look prehistoric.

They are nocturnal so are definitely not a pet to get to watch. They're more to get because they're fantastic.

I've got a dedicated thread for mine but if you don't want to look at it here are some of Clubber Lang's highlights.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
how active are they at night would you say? and how long does it take to get big?
Moderately active, maybe? They are not super active critters, but as feeding day approaches, they do get more active and can be seen prowling around their enclosures in "hunting" mode. The vinegaroons, in particular, can be pretty aggressive hunters when they're hungry. The whip spiders aren't quite as aggresive - they tend to move slowly and deliberately, with lots of exploration with their whips, before grabbing prey - so it's a longer process watching them hunt, vs. watching the vinegaroon, who will frequently just run up and grab his prey. I find it incredibly relaxing to watch the whip spiders exploring their cages - or communicating with each other, for those that I am keeping communally or in pairs, particularly when courting/mating.

As far as how long it takes them to get big, like I said before, I've never had vinegaroons that started out small, so I have no idea with them. With the whip spiders, I'd say it takes a year or more to mature - and they'll continue to grow long after that, albeit slowly, with molts a year or more apart.

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
I have a Mastigoproctus giganteus. So wish I'd have bought one sooner. Absolutely tremendous little arachnids. They look prehistoric.

They are nocturnal so are definitely not a pet to get to watch. They're more to get because they're fantastic.

I've got a dedicated thread for mine but if you don't want to look at it here are some of Clubber Lang's highlights.

Wow some good shots there. Some tough choices.

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
Moderately active, maybe? They are not super active critters, but as feeding day approaches, they do get more active and can be seen prowling around their enclosures in "hunting" mode.

As far as how long it takes them to get big, like I said before, I've never had vinegaroons that started out small, so I have no idea with them. With the whip spiders, I'd say it takes a year or more to mature - and they'll continue to grow long after that, albeit slowly, with molts a year or more apart.
Hm thanks this helps. I will look more into them.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hm thanks this helps. I will look more into them.
I keep both vinegaroons and tailless whip scorpions, Mastigoproctus giganteus and Damon diadema. I have had similar experiences to those @chanda described. Both are fascinating hunters, but my Damon diadema are definitely more skittish, and take more time to get down to the business of catching prey, unless they are very hungry. For me, they are much less likely to eat during winter...they are only hungry about once a month. In summer, they’ll eat two to three times per month. I got mine as tiny whiplings. They were more eager eaters while they were immature and growing fast. They are mature now, and could live to be 15 years,old, maybe more.

My vinegaroons are out and about during the day and night frequently during the warm months (spring through fall and into early winter) but stay underground hibernating and molting from about December to March or April. They are voracious hunters, eating once or twice a week, and generally pursuing prey very aggressively. Mine are still young. I have only had them for two winters...IIRC, they mature in 5 years or so, and can live to be about 8 years old.

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
I keep both vinegaroons and tailless whip scorpions, Mastigoproctus giganteus and Damon diadema. I have had similar experiences to those @chanda described. Both are fascinating hunters, but my Damon diadema are definitely more skittish, and take more time to get down to the business of catching prey, unless they are very hungry. For me, they are much less likely to eat during winter...they are only hungry about once a month. In summer, they’ll eat two to three times per month. I got mine as tiny whiplings. They were more eager eaters while they were immature and growing fast. They are mature now, and could live to be 15 years,old, maybe more.

My vinegaroons are out and about during the day and night frequently during the warm months (spring through fall and into early winter) but stay underground hibernating and molting from about December to March or April. They are voracious hunters, eating once or twice a week, and generally pursuing prey very aggressively. Mine are still young. I have only had them for two winters...IIRC, they mature in 5 years or so, and can live to be about 8 years old.
Wait so which lives longer? are the whipscorps usually hidden?

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
Whip scorpions have the potential to live longer. Whip,scorpions are more secretive than vinegaroons, but how you house them can partially mitigate that.
how so? secret viewing panels or? how much longer? whats the largest whip scorpion of all? whats the hardiest and less secretive or whatever?

How many can you have in a terrarium?