whip scorpion query?

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my vinegaroon has buried itself for, i dunno the last 5 months at least? what on earth is it doing? i dug it up once only for it to bury itself a week later. I know T's can go without food etc for great periods of time, is it the same for these? i thought it may be shedding, but it can't take half a year to do that can i it?

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This should go in the spiders/other arachnids forum, but I can tell you they will burrow for up to 9 months before molting, never eating the entire time. You can usually check on them wish a flashlight from the underside of the cage. They will get fatter over the months (maybe absorbing water somehow?), then all of a sudden they will molt and be really skinny. Sometimes they won't surface for a month after molting, but at that point you can dig them up safely.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you want to be able to observe without disturbing, give it a pre-made cave at the end of the tank (see below). Mine almost never comes up -- I saw it above ground at night a few times, but not so much anymore. I don't think it's fed in the past two or three months but is still about as fat as when this picture was taken.