While the temperatures are still good, I think I'm going to look for new additions, any ideas?

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
With temperatures in my area finally climbing above freezing, I figured I would get new additions after the new year (supposed to be decent weather for a while), but needing recommendations since I can never make up my own mind anymore. For sure P. auratus and P. murinus are on top of the list, but other ideas would help.

Anywhere from 5-10 recommendations would be good.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
With temperatures in my area finally climbing above freezing, I figured I would get new additions after the new year (supposed to be decent weather for a while), but needing recommendations since I can never make up my own mind anymore. For sure P. auratus and P. murinus are on top of the list, but other ideas would help.

Anywhere from 5-10 recommendations would be good.
Any restrictions, genera you just don't like or have no appeal? Anything been tickling your fancy lately? You have a good variety as is, but there's lots to choose from.

I see very few arboreals assuming your list is up to date, and it's an unsexed sling (of a fast grower, so probably pretty new to the team). Is that fully on purpose?

Help us help you. :p

TechComMike

Arachnopeon
Poecilotheria subfusca, fantastic dark version of a pokie.
Cyrio hainanus, burrower yes but mine comes out in the evening on routine hunts
L. parahybana, for me the prettiest of the real whoppers and always out on show
A. geniculata, like Cookie Monster, only as a spider
P. cambridgei, the most highly educated T. (unless there's a P. harvardi somewhere?)

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Well, balfouri are a personal favorite of mine.

I have also been favoring the Psalmopoeus and avicularia genera.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
You can’t go wrong with N. Ineci. Massive webbers. Fun to watch.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Any restrictions, genera you just don't like or have no appeal? Anything been tickling your fancy lately? You have a good variety as is, but there's lots to choose from.

I see very few arboreals assuming your list is up to date, and it's an unsexed sling (of a fast grower, so probably pretty new to the team). Is that fully on purpose?

Help us help you. :p
1. No H. maculata or S. calceatum (yet)

2. List is not up to date, I have since added P. irminia (4), P. langenbucheri, H. gabonensis (12), H. villosella (3), C. darlingi (2), C. marshalli (2), T. vagans (2), and P. Lugardi to my collection. I do fancy anything Phormictopus or Harpactira.

Well, balfouri are a personal favorite of mine.

I have also been favoring the Psalmopoeus and avicularia genera.
Wish I could find female Avics, I have a knack for ending up with males (every Avic/Caribena I've had ended up male and I've had 9-10). As for M. balfouri, just waiting for a good deal to pop up in the classifieds.

Poecilotheria subfusca, fantastic dark version of a pokie.
Cyrio hainanus, burrower yes but mine comes out in the evening on routine hunts
P. cambridgei, the most highly educated T. (unless there's a P. harvardi somewhere?)
C. hainanus is definitely one of my top 10 dream OWs. P. subfusca is on the list (my first Poecilatheria is likely to be rufilata or miranda). P. cambridgei are amazing for sure

You can’t go wrong with N. Ineci. Massive webbers. Fun to watch.
Certainly looking at those (both color forms).

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Wish I could find female Avics, I have a knack for ending up with males (every Avic/Caribena I've had ended up male and I've had 9-10). As for M. balfouri, just waiting for a good deal to pop up in the classifieds.
Cant post stuff i don’t have yet jn the classifieds but if you are still looking, i may share some of the 100 balfouri i am ordering... ;)

Don’t know that i can do anything for female Avics though.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Grammostola iheringi
Poecilotheria subfusca (either form)
Ornithoctonus aureotibialis
Ephebopus rufescens
Lampropelma nigerrimum

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
There's got be a Something. oxfordi out there...

Anyways, for myself I am really liking the look of a lot Chilobrachys sp., particularly C. sp. "Blue" (also known as "Vietnam Blue", "Smoky Blue", etc. Common names are a mess...) and "Electric Blue".
Pseudhapalopus sp. and dwarf species such as Kochiana brunnipes and Bumba cabocla also have a certain appeal. Lastly, I'll add that Tapinauchenius/Pseudoclamoris sp. are a lot of fun, though I haven't had very much luck with them.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Ditto on those two. Especially in regard to the LP being the prettiest of the whoppers. Unless you count the A. genic in that category. Anyway, I've always been puzzled at some people's opinion that the LP is just a plain looking spider. It is a tad subtle in colouration, but I find my adult female to be gorgeous. Different tastes for different folks, of course.

For an alternative to genic style, N.chromatus could be an addition. Similar in appearance to a geniculate, but reputedly with more spunk. I've yet to find that out for myself, mine is still a scaredy-cat s'ling. Also, reputedly nasty hairs on that one. That I hope I do not find out first-hand.

Last edited: