Which Ts can be housed together?

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi...I hear some people talking about colonies of Ts...for ex. Someone has a colony of A. metallica's and it looks nice....I was wondering what Ts can be kept with each other without cannibalism, lol. I would love to keep more than one T in a cage....save money too on cages, lol.
So, what species can be housed together and how many Ts max in one cage....lets use the 10 gal as an example cage...

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi...I hear some people talking about colonies of Ts...for ex. Someone has a colony of A. metallica's and it looks nice....I was wondering what Ts can be kept with each other without cannibalism, lol. I would love to keep more than one T in a cage....save money too on cages, lol.
So, what species can be housed together and how many Ts max in one cage....lets use the 10 gal as an example cage...
Avic. Sp.'s can be housed together. so can some species of Poecilotheria and a few others..im sure someone else will finsh the list. but make sure they are WELL FED and accept the fact that cannibalism can occur.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pokies can but I wouldnt recommend it, A. Avics have been kept together successfully, just supplie enough hides that they can each have their own if they so choose.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yes you can house most avics and some pokies together (uh, seperated by species of course ;)). and no, there is no guarantee that there will be no cannibalism. i have never heard of anyone keeping up a successful communal tank for years without 'accidents'.

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks

Oh, then I wont do it, lol...I dont want no accidents. I love the avics too much to see one hurt, so I will forget the whole idea. Thanks guys

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There are some species as people have mentioned but I have never heard of a single case where cannibalism didn't occur. There have always been losses.

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When I was pretty new to the hobby, I had 2 A. Avics in the same cage, and they did fine. But that's not to say what would have eventually happened....one of em turned out to be an adult male and died a few months after I got him.

Now that I know better, though, I probably wouldnt do it again.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I have an OBT colony, and yes, there will always be cannibalism. It's kinda like survival of the fittest. I started with about 20, and ended up with about 14 when the cannibalism stopped. Another important factor is that they all come from the same sac and grow up together, or at LEAST be very young slings. Also, they need PLENTY of room and food so that they can establish their own little territory and remain well fed.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
I have an OBT colony, and yes, there will always be cannibalism. It's kinda like survival of the fittest. I started with about 20, and ended up with about 14 when the cannibalism stopped. Another important factor is that they all come from the same sac and grow up together, or at LEAST be very young slings. Also, they need PLENTY of room and food so that they can establish their own little territory and remain well fed.
How large is your communal tank? Do they all live in the same environment (arboreal, dug in, other) or are they spread out in all directions? Are they evenly spread out?

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Years ago I kept a couple of avics in a 20 long without incident. I think I sold them later. I also kept a couple of P. regalis together for awhile. It was an adult pair and the male died after about 6 months. Other than that I've never kept T's together but I would like to see a communal setup. I know it would have to be big. My two pokies were in a really large plastic storage box with two hides glued to the wall.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
How large is your communal tank? Do they all live in the same environment (arboreal, dug in, other) or are they spread out in all directions? Are they evenly spread out?
It's pretty much decimated right now, I got rid of a few after the bite!:eek:

It's a 10-gallon tank. I had cork bark and some fake plants to make lots of little hidey-holes. They each adopted a hidey-hole and pretty much stayed in it. Some were closer together than others, they didn't seem to mind close proximity as long as they had their own hide.

They usually came out in the AM sun to explore. They'd often go near another one, touch it with a leg or pedipalp, then run off like they're playing tag.

I THINK there are only two left though.:rolleyes: They were almost to adulthood and highly desired my my pet store. Plus, gotta make room for more pokies!:rolleyes:

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Now that's a tank (OBT communal) I would be wary of sticking my hand in to perform maintenance.:eek:

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Actually, an OBT communal setup is something I plan on trying when my specimen matures.

Cockroach_PL

Arachnopeon
Hi there ;)
I'm really intersted in having this kind of project.
Did anyone try it with Avicularia? I heard some opinions, that it is possible to keep them communal, some of you wrote you had two of them together... but I wonder if you had more - like 5 - 10 in one tank.

What about Psalmopoeus?

I know that Pokies are kind of the best, but it might be too hard to start with :) So far I have them separately :)

Last edited:

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi there ;)
I'm really intersted in having this kind of project.
Did anyone try it with Avicularia? I heard some opinions, that it is possible to keep them communal, some of you wrote you had two of them together... but I wonder if you had more - like 5 - 10 in one tank.

What about Psalmopoeus?

I know that Pokies are kind of the best, but it might be too hard to start with :) As far I have them separately :)
i would like to give it a go but i am a wuss so i have to dream now looking a bit of a prat