Which Theraphosa is your favorite?

Favorite Goliath?

• Total voters

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Out of the three Goliath Birdeating species in the Theraphosa genus, I wanted to know which you think is coolest. The traditionally biggest, the blondi (whose common name is the same as the genus's name, which is weird), is actually the one with the smallest legspan, but it's the heaviest with a stockier body. The stirmi (Burgundy Goliath) weighs less, but has longer legs and bigger fangs and chelicerae (which makes me wonder how it can weigh less if it has the combination of longer legs and a thicker carapace with bigger chelicerae, but whatever). Finally, the apophysis (Pinkfoot Goliath) is the skinniest but has the longest legs of the three, while being a slight purplish shade. Which do you like the best? Tell me why.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I only have a stirmi, so I'm going with her :) the other two are harder to care for and don't have enough that sets them apart to take on the additional husbandry requirements. That said, I love all of them.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I haven't kept anything but a T. stirmi, but I love her. Definitely in the top five favorite specimens. Nasty girl, she'll kick and bite at the slightest disturbance, but she's absolutely always out. I actually have to bump her into her hide to do maintenance.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I keep all three.

Behaviour-wise I do not see a difference between T.blondi and T.apophysis. They both stay mostly in their burrows, they sometimes come out at night. My T.stirmi, on the other hand, ventures away from her burrow every night and goes all the way to the other end of her enclosure, which tells me she would really utilize a large planted terrarium. It is easier to care for T.stirmi as well since their moisture requirements arent as extreme as the other two.

T.apophysis has the worst hairs of the three but even Theraphosa hairs don't affect me much so it is ok for me but I have heard people having very significant reactions even when they open the terrarium doors.

Appearance-wise I like the hairy legs of T.blondi and T.apophysis but I guess T.stirmi has a better color overall. T.apophysis has probably the potential to become largest of the three but again, not much difference there with T.blondi.

I will go with T.blondi for the sake of answering the question but hard to pick one.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I don't have any. Have thought about getting one but the stories about those hairs give me pause.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
T.apophysis has probably the potential to become largest of the three
Many people's reports state otherwise. Stirmi, in fact, gets bigger.

I love the way blondi and apophysis look, they both have something different to them, while stirmi is just brown. ^^

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Many people's reports state otherwise. Stirmi, in fact, gets bigger.

I love the way blondi and apophysis look, they both have something different to them, while stirmi is just brown. ^^
wait, so stirmi is the biggest? and the easiest to care for? Well i guess i know which one i should get in a few years...