Which tarantula is better?

Eli02

Arachnopeon
My local exotics shop recently got in omen new tarantula slings and I am thinking about getting one. They have a couple OBTs, King Baboons, B. Smithi, B. Emilia, and a few salmon pink bird eaters. They currently have them all listed at 30$ so I've decided not to get a Salmon pink sling, but I was interested in getting one of the slings. The only problem is I can only get one. The brachypelma species are probably less than half an inch but the baboons are almost an inch. I was wondering which one you guy's think I should get and why?

(I have kept both old world and new world species. The tarantulas I get are observation pets and not for holding, so that won't be a problem for the baboons.)

Thanks all!

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
My local exotics shop recently got in omen new tarantula slings and I am thinking about getting one. They have a couple OBTs, King Baboons, B. Smithi, B. Emilia, and a few salmon pink bird eaters. They currently have them all listed at 30$ so I've decided not to get a Salmon pink sling, but I was interested in getting one of the slings. The only problem is I can only get one. The brachypelma species are probably less than half an inch but the baboons are almost an inch. I was wondering which one you guy's think I should get and why?

(I have kept both old world and new world species. The tarantulas I get are observation pets and not for holding, so that won't be a problem for the baboons.)

Thanks all!
They're all 30$? Get the B.Emilia it's the most valuable out of the bunch and it's an easy first tarantula to own ;)

Stormsky

Arachnopeon
I'd personally go for the B. emilia or the B. smithi(hamorii?). 30$ is like double the average price for OBT sling by what I've heard and I have no experience with P. muticus, plus the two Brachys are my favorites of the genus, so that part is more of my personal preference.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Here is the awesomeness rating for each tarantula:

OBT: 6.85
King baboon: 6.25
B. smithi: 7.005
B. emilia: 23.89
LP: 7.006

Numbers don't lie. Hope this helps.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I would go for the P.muticus. They are less common in collections than brachy sp. ( generally) ..They grow relatively fast as slings and then slow way down as larger juvies.. They are easy as hell to care for and very impressive at any age but especially when they are 7+ inches.

They stridulate and put up one of the most impressive threat displays of any Theraphosid when disturbed.

People will say they are pet holes but I see both of mine almost every night.. The only time they are truly ghost like Ts is when they are in pre-molt. They sometimes hide for months.. The flip side to this is that they molt infrequently so it's a negligible issue IMO.

Almost forgot.. Your basically guaranteed to get a female..

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Here is the awesomeness rating for each tarantula:

OBT: 6.85
King baboon: 6.25
B. smithi: 7.005 (unless you end up with a grumpy bag of phallus bosoms like mine, in which case +3.095 points for comedy value)
B. emilia: 23.89
LP: 4.006 (+2.004 if you don't react to the hairs/get one that doesn't kick like it's its one job in life)

Numbers don't lie. Hope this helps.
Fixed that for you

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
OBTs are the most entertaining out of those but its also the most overpriced. emilia is probably the best bet for your money.
if not the emilia, you best get the 0.1 Goddess.

cold blood

Staff member
obt at $30 is just as laughable as the lp for that price.

1. B. emelia By far the best deal, thats the price you look for for an emelia sling.

2. B. smithi Great price as well, great t as well, who cares how popular they are, theyre a stunning addition to any collection.

3. P. muticus Not priced out of whack, and a great t overall...you will just see less of it....its also probably the least agressive eater in the bunch.

Jason B

Arachnosquire
Well out of those I'd say Obt, but not at 30 dollars, obts are given away as freebies quite frequently and if you want to buy one there normally under 10 bucks. The other three I'd say are all good options at that price though, especially the emelia, they are all fine Ts. Best thing you can ask yourself is seeing this T important to you as P. muticus can be pet holes at times so as a wise person said to me recently if you have a smaller collection you may want to hold off on a T you won't see very often. Not sure if you have a small collection just saying. If that doesn't bother you I'd say get the muticus, if it does I suggest the emelia or smithi.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
you best get the 0.1 Goddess.
Peace be upon her!
If i were prepared for OW, thats what i would get. Since im not, id get one of the brachys as that price is an absolute steal. Id only take an OBT or an LP as a freebie because of how common they are. Unless i was getting a large order amd wanted to toss an extra $5-10 in with it.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Peace be upon her!
Lol, I feel like someday I'm going to say queen baboon to a stranger and they'll say these words. I'll know immediately that they're an arachnoboards user...

I should make that into a shirt...

Arachnoboards
[P. Muticus pic w/ OBT]
Home of the True Queen and Her Prophets
"Peace be upon her"
What do you think, @Chris LXXIX? You sell 'em to Europe and Asia and I'll get North and South America.

I vote for smithi or muticus though I rarely see my girl. :sorry:

Finally, since nobody has said anything, I'm going to take a stand... @nicodimus22 is clearly making up stats. Where are your references, huh? :bored:

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Well, if it were me I would like to get a variety of different T's in my collection, so I think you should pick the one that's most different from ones you have.

For example I already have a B. Hamorii and an OBT so those are out. The LP is over priced so I'd pass on that. Therefore the best pick from my point of view would be the king baboon because I already have 2 brachypelmas.

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
In no particular order, I'd say either Emilia, Smithi (I'm assuming it's the Smithi that is now the Hamorii), or the Muticus (PBUH) since all 3 are great and not overpriced like the other options. I have the Smithi and the Muticus (PBUH) and I love them both.

The Muticus is a bit of a pet hole, but with a thought out enclosure, you'll see whenever you want. Mine has hit the bottom of the substrate, and now is carving a tunnel all the way around its home and no matter what, I ALWAYS see mine. Plus, you can't beat the attitude these can have and that hiss... it's music to my ears the few times I've heard it during the transfers. I'm not looking forward to the day I have to transfer it again now that she has entrenched herself :anxious:

Can't go wrong with the hobby classic, Smithi either. I think every collection needs one and they are definitely stunning. I adore mine, even though she's one of the angrier ones!

And the Emilia... well it's an Emilia, and that's really all that needs to be said about that. Beautiful T...

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Out of the OBT, the P. muticus, the B. emilia, the B. smithi, and the LP, I'd say the G. pulchripes is the best.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Agreed with so many here -- I think B emilia is your best deal price wise -- and that OBT is a complete rip off. In fact, it oughta be thrown in free if you purchase any T there.
Makes me wonder who is purchasing for the store and setting prices. Strange logic there.

[I am biased towards B emilia, upon reflection - there are some nice ones offered in all fairness]

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
Great choices, I'd vote for the P. Muticus the Goddess.

The OBT is amazing though but overpriced.

The others are all great Ts though but the Goddess is my preference. ;)

Walker253

Arachnobaron
The B emilia and the P muticus are the best values period. The B smithi is ok priced. The OBT and especially, the LP are rip-offs at that price and shouldn't even be considered. The OBT is a 10 dollar spider at that size and the LP is a 5 dollar spider. I'd get the 1" P muticus over a half inch B emilia 9 times out of 10. If you were closer I'd give you an LP sling. A 7 hour drive isn't worth it for a 5 dollar spider though, lol.
When you shop in a pet shop and they are retail, it's all business, not your favorite.