Which T has more potent venom, Cobalt Blue or Horned Baboon?

TarantulaLord

Arachnopeon
Of course different people may react differently to the venom, but which of the following species is generally considered to have the more potent venom: Cobalt Blue (Cyriopagopus lividus) or the Rear Horned Baboon (Ceratogyrus Darlingi)? Help much appreciated!

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
You might get the best results by checking the Bite Reports section of the forum, if you have not already. I would say the individual potency isn't really the concern. They are both Old World spiders and should be treated with equal respect.

TarantulaLord

Arachnopeon
You might get the best results by checking the Bite Reports section of the forum, if you have not already. I would say the individual potency isn't really the concern. They are both Old World spiders and should be treated with equal respect.
Thanks for your help, I'll check out that section. Although its literally just out of curiosity, as I'm often asked which of the two would give a nastier bite and wanted to know myself.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Thanks for your help, I'll check out that section. Although its literally just out of curiosity, as I'm often asked which of the two would give a nastier bite and wanted to know myself.
Good luck with your search. Some more experienced members might join in with more information for you.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
is that a terrestrial in an exo tera? those are among the worst cages for a terrestrial spider.

and if we're placing bets, id say C lividus.

TarantulaLord

Arachnopeon
is that a terrestrial in an exo tera? those are among the worst cages for a terrestrial spider.

How so? I'm open to any suggestions on how to improve the conditions in which I keep my spiders, but in the many years I have owned Arachnids I have had no problem keeping some of the larger terrestrial species in the exo Terra Viv's, and neither have any of the other Tarantula keepers I know. The Viv isn't tall enough for the T to injure itself with a fall, as she is kept with fairly deep substrate. Also keeping them at adequate temperature and humidity has not been a problem as I thought It could be at first in a glass tank.

On another note though, thank you for your help!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
How so? I'm open to any suggestions on how to improve the conditions in which I keep my spiders, but in the many years I have owned Arachnids I have had no problem keeping some of the larger terrestrial species in the exo Terra Viv's, and neither have any of the other Tarantula keepers I know. The Viv isn't tall enough for the T to injure itself with a fall, as she is kept with fairly deep substrate. Also keeping them at adequate temperature and humidity has not been a problem as I thought It could be at first in a glass tank.

the front opening lid prevents adding enough substrate to keep the spider safe from a fall. not to mention the screen lid.
theyre fantastic for arboreals tho

TarantulaLord

Arachnopeon
the front opening lid prevents adding enough substrate to keep the spider safe from a fall. not to mention the screen lid.
theyre fantastic for arboreals tho
Yeah, I've had a few of the arboreal species in those Viv's. Although about the fall thing, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe a fall would not be too dangerous considering that the distance from the substrate to the lid is only around, or perhaps less than 1.5 of the spiders leg span leaving not very much of a drop.

I do see what you mean about the screen top though. Though I've never seen her try to hang upside down from it.

cold blood

Staff member

Exo terras are not appropriate for any terrestrial without significant modification, part of which is laying it on its back so the door is at the top.

Otherwise there is not enough sub to burrow in AND an unsafe height, creating a serious fall risk. And if you are using the screen top that they come with, that only makes the fall risk higher.

A t surviving and living in unsuitable conditions should not be seen as an endorsement of unsuitable conditions.

TarantulaLord

Arachnopeon
Exo terras are not appropriate for any terrestrial without significant modification, part of which is laying it on its back so the door is at the top.

Otherwise there is not enough sub to burrow in AND an unsafe height, creating a serious fall risk. And if you are using the screen top that they come with, that only makes the fall risk higher.

A t surviving and living in unsuitable conditions should not be seen as an endorsement of unsuitable conditions.
It's hardly 'endorsing' unsuitable conditions if the person was unaware of their mistake in the first place. I just find it funny that I am only now being informed of such an issue, when multiple other tarantula keepers have actually suggested the exo Terra cubes for the larger terrestrial species. I'm not trying to disprove your point, but you shouldn't be scorning me for keeping my spiders how I was suggested to do so. Its not like I was purposefully keeping them in unsuitable conditions. The best I can do is correct my mistakes, and move on.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I've had a few of the arboreal species in those Viv's. Although about the fall thing, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe a fall would not be too dangerous considering that the distance from the substrate to the lid is only around, or perhaps less than 1.5 of the spiders leg span leaving not very much of a drop.

I do see what you mean about the screen top though. Though I've never seen her try to hang upside down from it.
I have had great results with Sterilite stowaways plastic storage tubs for my fossorials and terrestrials. I do keep exo terras for my arboreals.

And I've seen what a bite from a C.lividus can be like. A friend was helping me rehouse my female and took a nasty strike. The venom was no joke.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
It's hardly 'endorsing' unsuitable conditions if the person was unaware of their mistake in the first place. I just find it funny that I am only now being informed of such an issue, when multiple other tarantula keepers have actually suggested the exo Terra cubes for the larger terrestrial species. I'm not trying to disprove your point, but you shouldn't be scorning me for keeping my spiders how I was suggested to. Its not like I was purposefully keeping them in unsuitable conditions. The best I can do is correct my mistakes, and move on.
keepers from facebook perhaps??

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Wise guys 'goombah' bets on the blue dastard still a bite from a genus Ceratogyrus isn't like returning home and find a naked hot blonde ready in the bed.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Actually, places I have purchased my spiders from. Taking advice from Facebook isn't a smart thing to do, unless that's the point you're trying to put across; calling me stupid.
no worries haha and i agree.
where did you get your spiders from? they may have just wanted to sell you a expensive cage.

TarantulaLord

Arachnopeon
I have had great results with Sterilite stowaways plastic storage tubs for my fossorials and terrestrials. I do keep exo terras for my arboreals.

And I've seen what a bite from a C.lividus can be like. A friend was helping me rehouse my female and took a nasty strike. The venom was no joke.
I've got a couple of It's in the exo's, so I guess I'll transfer them back into faunariums as soon as. And yeah, I can imagine a C.lividus bite would not be too pretty.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
Wiseguys bets on the blue dastard still a bite from a genus Ceratogyrus isn't like returning home and find a naked hot blonde ready in the bed.
Taking one from any baboon isn't a honeymoon. My E.pachypus got me while I was digging out its water dish. It was in the bottom of its burrow(I rather like the design of their burrows) so I just stuck my hand in and grabbed said bottle cap. Next thing I knew it sank it's fangs into my thumb. E.pachypus is the "starter baboon", and that still hurt like a son of a..