Which species to get next?

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Okay, I'm officially addicted. :) I'm planning on getting a T at one of the upcoming shows either in Atlanta or in Raleigh. Times are a bit tight, so I can only get one. For anyone who's wondering, my experience only goes as far as one G. pulchra. Here's a few of the species I'm interested in:

• Aphnopelma anax
  • Brachypelma albopilosum
  • B. emilia
  • B. smithi
  • Grammastola rosea
  • any others?

Speaking of which, is anyone going to either of these shows?

Bry

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bry
Okay, I'm officially addicted. :) I'm planning on getting a T at one of the upcoming shows either in Atlanta or in Raleigh. Times are a bit tight, so I can only get one. For anyone who's wondering, my experience only goes as far as one G. pulchra. Here's a few of the species I'm interested in:

• Aphnopelma anax
  • Brachypelma albopilosum
  • B. emilia
  • B. smithi
  • Grammastola rosea
  • any others?

Speaking of which, is anyone going to either of these shows?

Bry
I highly recommend these ones. I own them and they're all wonderful Tarantulas. My poor little Texas Brown is a tough girl. She's hanging in there.

Aphonopelma bicoloratum (Mexican Bloodleg)
Aphonopelma texense (Texas Brown)
Aphonopelma moderatum (Rio Grand Gold)
Eupalastrus campestrata (Pink Zebra Beauty)
Aphonopelma seemani (Costa Rican Zebra)
Avicularia avicularia (Pinktoe)

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
all good choices...

I would go emilia or smithi simply for color and longevity but all are good species and equally easy to keep.

Phil

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
look into Brachypelma klaasi. They have the typical brachy needs and temperments. Nice pink legs too.
Mike

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Go with any of the brachys.. it's a nice logical step up. You get to experience what a sometime hair-kicker is like, before moving onto something anymore aggressive.

Bill

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks for the help, guys. I think I will probably go with some kind of desert species. So most likely I'll be coming home with some kind of Aphnopelma or Brachypelma. As for the Avics, I decided to get a little more experience under my belt before getting a jumpier and faster species. Hehe, I thought it was bad enough when I had 6 T's I was interested in, then you guys added a few more to add to my indecisiveness. :p The reason I decided to go with a desert species is because I already set up an enclosure for a desert species. This was before I happened to find some good-sized G. pulchras. I really like how the Curly Hairs sound, but, they like higher humidity, don't they? Then again, who says I can't buy another Kritter Keeper for one of those? ;) I also really like the look of the yellow "head" (forgot the proper term) and red rump on the Brachypelma ruhnaui. Anybody have experience with them?

Lasiodora, I really like that look of the B. klaasi. What is their common name? I had never heard of them before, so I imagine they won't be too easy to find.

Bry

ACoopBB24

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
what show?!

hey bry... i live somewhat near the Atlanta area...... could you tell me when and where that show is at?

thanx

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Bry,
It's common name is the Mexican pink. It can be kept like a B.smithi. You will have to go through a breeder to get one of these. I doubt any pet store would carry them.
You'll find a pic of my female in this thread:
Lasiodora, I never did think I would be able to find them at pet shops. ;) I was speaking in terms of finding them at shows or something. I'll look around for those. Are they as pricey as smithis?

hey bry... i live somewhat near the Atlanta area...... could you tell me when and where that show is at?
The show is in McDonough, GA this Saturday and Sunday. It's on 155 Mill Rd., McDonough, GA - Saturday from 9am-5pm, Sunday from 10am-5pm. Entrance fee is $5. Children under 10 can get in free.

Bry

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
a GBB for me?

MrT's pictures of his GBB are awesome. I think I want one of those. Do you think they make a good choice? Are they biters or hair flickers, or do they just prefer to run and hide?

Bry

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
klaasi are as pricey as smithi. Sometimes you can find good deals though.
Mike

ahkiu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
if you were going for a brachy, then i'd go for a klassi or a boehmei :) personal choice