Which Species to get? Newbie Here.

radjess331

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok so I had posted on several different websites and on one of them these guys were mentioned:
o Brachypelma albopilosum
o Brachypelma smithi
o Aphonoplema spp.

are they handleable? or make good pets?

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok so I had posted on several different websites and on one of them these guys were mentioned:
o Brachypelma smithi
o Aphonoplema spp.

From my experiance alone..

B. albopilosum... Great starter tarantula! Easy to handle if you choose.. (I suggest not to handle but thats a diffferent topic that has been beaten already..) Does kick if it wants to.. Mine never did.. Great looking T..

B. smithi.. (In my opinion & experiance alone!) They are more skittish and you have a better chance at getting one that is more vile.. Not everyone will agree! But I have had two females.. Both thought they were OBTs.. But.. Again.. Each T has its own personality! They are & will with no hesitation kick hairs...

Aphonopelma sp.. Not even going to touch them.. Im not an Aphonopelma fan..

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As I mentioned in my original post I've owned g.rosea for many years... I like them and havent met an evil one yet, despite people tellig me they own evil ones lol. However i've been getting kinda bored with them lately. They make great pets but arent very showy and are really common.... I just want to get something else that I can have as a pet t besides rose hairs
Look into OBT's (Pterinochilus murinus)

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
o Brachypelma smithi
o Aphonoplema spp.

They should all three be fine. However, as others have said, individuals will always break the stereotype. I have a great picture of one of my B. albos throwing as good a threat pose as I've ever seen for no reason whatsoever.

radjess331

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hahaha lol noOOO I want a pet t.. OBT's arent pets they are creatues that barely tolerate your existence....

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
G Pulchripes, from my experience, varies greatly in temperament from individual to individual. Mine is perfectly handleable. My girlfriend's is a beast though.

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hahaha lol noOOO I want a pet t.. OBT's arent pets they are creatues that barely tolerate your existence....
I could see that.. I've had one since july and it's quite interesting. I just like to observe here and see what she does next. Setting up her web on different sides of the cage, the way she attacks her prey.. It's just interesting.

radjess331

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
lol so who has any special comments or notes that theyve learned from experience with owning and working with Grammostola pulchripes.

ZombieGal

Arachnopeon
lol so who has any special comments or notes that theyve learned from experience with owning and working with Grammostola pulchripes.
not much to say about mine, other than it's a sweetheart. Only flicked hairs once, when i first got him and was unpacking and putting him into his enclosure, but after that, he's been perfect ever since.