Which Species to get? Newbie Here.

radjess331

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi, Im relatively new to tarantulas. I have had rose hair t's for years but thats the only species of tarantula I've ever owned... I'm more of a snake person.

edit: (owned a cobalt blue before...was given to me...had it for a year and gave it away, most evil thing ive ever met lol)

I would like to get another species of t, However I am having a hard time deciding on which to get.

I am looking for a species that gets to a decent size or larger. One that is easy to handly or atleast a relatively calm species.

so far ive been recommended that I get these species:
Lasiodora parahybana
E. Campestratus

I'd really like any opinions on what I should get that would match what I am looking for, or atleast match within argueable reason.

Last edited:

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Can't beat Grammostola pulchripes. I have a fair number of species, but if I could only keep one, this would be it.

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
I agree with Jim, the G pulchripes is fantastic. Nice color, big, good eater, docile. E campestratus is a good one too, we have one of each of these and I am very pleased with both of them.

ZombieGal

Arachnopeon
Can't beat Grammostola pulchripes. I have a fair number of species, but if I could only keep one, this would be it.
Agreed 100%. A good sized, wonderful tempered beauty!

I also love my b. boehmei lots and lots. I've heard nasty rumors about their uricating hairs, but mine has NEVER kicked at me!

radjess331

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks guys, I will look into getting a Grammostola pulchripes then. Since it's christmas time needed to get so,e ideas on what to ask for lol

Also any recommended places to get a Grammostola pulchripes???

ZombieGal

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys, I will look into getting a Grammostola pulchripes then. Since it's christmas time needed to get so,e ideas on what to ask for lol

There's lots of breeders on here. I would just go up to the search bar and type in the species name, and see who's selling them.
once you find a person with the better price, read their reviews to see how reliable they are! :)

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

Check with Paul Becker (Pet Center USA)
He can probably pull you a nicely started female.

radjess331

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Check with Paul Becker (Pet Center USA)
He can probably pull you a nicely started female.
thank you

and thank you everyone for replying

okays so I will definately be getting a Grammostola pulchripes now, along with one or two other t's.

I havent decided who i'm going to order from yet but i'm gonna keep a look out and see who puts there stuff on sale.

So here is the thing though, Ive never owned baby t's.

And alot of people who are selling Grammostola pulchripes and other t's are selling 2nd instars or even first instars for pretty cheap. Is it safe to buy those? or is there a high die off rate?

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I started with Grammostola Rosea and are still my favorite species.. Plus they're fairly common in petstores

radjess331

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I started with Grammostola Rosea and are still my favorite species.. Plus they're fairly common in petstores
As I mentioned in my original post I've owned g.rosea for many years... I like them and havent met an evil one yet, despite people tellig me they own evil ones lol. However i've been getting kinda bored with them lately. They make great pets but arent very showy and are really common.... I just want to get something else that I can have as a pet t besides rose hairs

ZombieGal

Arachnopeon
thank you

and thank you everyone for replying

okays so I will definately be getting a Grammostola pulchripes now, along with one or two other t's.

I havent decided who i'm going to order from yet but i'm gonna keep a look out and see who puts there stuff on sale.

So here is the thing though, Ive never owned baby t's.

And alot of people who are selling Grammostola pulchripes and other t's are selling 2nd instars or even first instars for pretty cheap. Is it safe to buy those? or is there a high die off rate?
They aren't the T that will die for absolutely no reasons, like avics tend to do. Just follow the "standard" care sheet for a terrestrial spiderling, and you should be okay! I have a g. pulchripes myself, and have had no issues!

MS6582

Arachnopeon

I just got my G Pulchripes from Roaddog... he is a breeder in the San Diego area but he ships all over as well. I'm pretty sure he had more than the one I took too. Great guy, knew his stuff and he hooked me up big time. He also sat down with me, listened to what I wanted in a T and made a few suggestions for me. By the sounds of things, looks like he picked a great starter for me as well. I would PM him!

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Im going to have to suggest the G. pulchripes as well..

My girl is 7".. She is like a kitten! When I tong feed her.. She ever so gently walks up... Then ever so gently takes the roach.. Nothing hard hitting about her! She is AWESOME! :D

radjess331

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just got my G Pulchripes from Roaddog... he is a breeder in the San Diego area but he ships all over as well. I'm pretty sure he had more than the one I took too. Great guy, knew his stuff and he hooked me up big time. He also sat down with me, listened to what I wanted in a T and made a few suggestions for me. By the sounds of things, looks like he picked a great starter for me as well. I would PM him!
coolio thank you for the contact I will definately send him an email and mention your name incase you may get a discount the next time you order for spreading his username lol

They aren't the T that will die for absolutely no reasons, like avics tend to do. Just follow the "standard" care sheet for a terrestrial spiderling, and you should be okay! I have a g. pulchripes myself, and have had no issues!
okie dokies, I will have to look around and see what I end up buying.

Im going to have to suggest the G. pulchripes as well..

My girl is 7".. She is like a kitten! When I tong feed her.. She ever so gently walks up... Then ever so gently takes the roach.. Nothing hard hitting about her! She is AWESOME! :D
Good to hear that they are for the most part nice.

are they in any way flickers?

>>>>>
ok now that im done replying to a few individual posts here is a comment to everyone

Once again thank you everyone who is replying with your input even if it matches someone elses. Every reply only goes to making the descision that much easier... If a bunch of people... like there has been so far say Grammostola pulchripes that is most likely what I will go with....

Im sure im not the only person to have asked this kinda of question and I probably wont be the last, I searched back a few pages and even went through the quick refrence links but couldnt find anything that matched my question. I think alot of people visit this site who are from the public just looking for answers like these on which t makes a good pet that you can handle. So if your lurking out there and don't really wanna reply because you think your answer may be repetative please dont hesitate to post. Every reply really helps descision making.

So once again thank you and I look forward to hearing more input from you guys.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good to hear that they are for the most part nice.

are they in any way flickers?
Any and all NW Ts have the ability to kick hairs.. The Grammostola genus is a NW T.. So yes.. There is a chance you might get one that is a flicker.. I say there is a chance because each T has its own personality.. So.. I dont want to say you WILL get a super docile T..

There is always a chance you get one that is as vile as an OBT..

Never have I read any say they have gotten one though..

I personally have 3 G. pulchripes.. All three are chill..

radjess331

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Any and all NW Ts have the ability to kick hairs.. The Grammostola genus is a NW T.. So yes.. There is a chance you might get one that is a flicker.. I say there is a chance because each T has its own personality.. So.. I dont want to say you WILL get a super docile T..

There is always a chance you get one that is as vile as an OBT..

Never have I read any say they have gotten one though..

I personally have 3 G. pulchripes.. All three are chill..
Hahaha coolios

yea I have a one rose hair that is cool as could be but he just constantly wants to walk... while others I have will just sit there..
I know a few people who claim to have rose hairs who might as well be OBTs... Ive always worried that im gonna one day stick my hand in a deli cup to hold a rose hair and its gonna try to kill me...so far I havent had one do it lol *knock on wood*