Which size tank?

Colette

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, first post so please be gentle.

I have a B. smithi about 3-4" and I'm planning on making changes to her home. Mainly getting a more suitable hide and adding far more substrate. I'm wondering if I should get a new tank as well. I want it to be suitable to last her indefinitely as she's a decent size and not nervous at all, always out on display.

The 2 tanks easily available to me are her current one which is 10" cube or 8x16x8 w/l/h.

Which size would you recommend?

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you decided to change it, would go for the 8 x 8 x 16. I like cages those dimensions for some of my medium-sized tarantulas. It'll also give you a bit more surface area as she puts on more size. Either could work, though. :) What's she currently in?

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I have a B. smithi about 3-4" and I'm planning on making changes to her home.
Post some images of the current set up (and potential new set ups). That way we can see anything that may have been missed.

Colette

Arachnopeon
Thanks all. I've stuck with the same tank for now, I can always change it at a later date when she's much bigger. I dumped the old substrate and various other crap that was in there (sphagnum moss, rocks etc), gave way more substrate and partially buried the hide. The idea was to give better substrate depth if she wants to burrow a bit and reduce the drop should she climb the glass and fall. Hopefully it's an improvement.

Did it in the bath, she was really chilled, not even a single hair flick.

Pics are original set up (pretty much as purchased), Hairy Mary herself, and new set up...

Attachments

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Substrate level should be raised like twice that. Currently death by fall is possible.
Also, bury that hide in so it doesn't have to climb to get in.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, first post so please be gentle.

I have a B. smithi about 3-4" and I'm planning on making changes to her home. Mainly getting a more suitable hide and adding far more substrate. I'm wondering if I should get a new tank as well. I want it to be suitable to last her indefinitely as she's a decent size and not nervous at all, always out on display.

The 2 tanks easily available to me are her current one which is 10" cube or 8x16x8 w/l/h.

Which size would you recommend?
I prefer longer flatter enclosures for my terrestrials. Terrestrials can't survive a fall from very high

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Thanks all. I've stuck with the same tank for now, I can always change it at a later date when she's much bigger. I dumped the old substrate and various other crap that was in there (sphagnum moss, rocks etc), gave way more substrate and partially buried the hide. The idea was to give better substrate depth if she wants to burrow a bit and reduce the drop should she climb the glass and fall.
Limit vertical space (the distance between the top of the substrate and the lid) to 1.5 times the tarantula's legspan.

Excessive horizontal space does not hurt anything as long as you have the proper furnishings; it just takes up more space than you need. I try to give them at least 2x (ideally 3x) their leg span in any direction.

You'll want to bury most of the hide so that just a starter burrow is exposed at ground level. Let her excavate until she has the amount of space that she wants.

I prefer longer flatter enclosures for my terrestrials. Terrestrials can't survive a fall from very high
Exo Terra Breeding Boxes work well. They come in different sizes but are all relatively low-profile. I like the clear plastic and the two different access hatches so you don't have to remove the whole lid.

Colette

Arachnopeon
Thanks all. I can add more sub to raise the floor and bury the hide deeper. Although to be fair she rarely uses the hide at all. I had wondered about the exo terra breeding boxes, glad to know they're suitable; would be a nice cheap way to house.
Could anyone suggest any other cages available in the UK - or those to avoid. I've seen the various exo terra types, komodo, and zoomed for sale. (I'm definitely not competent to make my own!)

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Thanks all. I can add more sub to raise the floor and bury the hide deeper. Although to be fair she rarely uses the hide at all. I had wondered about the exo terra breeding boxes, glad to know they're suitable; would be a nice cheap way to house.
Could anyone suggest any other cages available in the UK - or those to avoid. I've seen the various exo terra types, komodo, and zoomed for sale. (I'm definitely not competent to make my own!)
The exo-terra breeding enclosures are a great size, especially height, that way you don't have to put loads of substrate into the enclosure, so there's no chance of death by fall, the top opens for quick water changes and you can also deliver prey items from the side opening, they're cheap and are the best alternative to the ones you have ATM, if your going to continue with the same enclosure be sure to put a lot more sub into the enclosure 1.5x leg span should be left for the spider to walk about comfortably. (Terrestrial enclosures only).

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper

B. hamorii (ex smithi) generally don't burrow or use a hide much at around that size, mine is always out but I like to give her the option just in case.

Exo Terra Faunariums, flat Faunariums & breeding boxes are all good, relatively cheap and are stackable, the breeding boxes have side hatches in the lids so you can top up water/put in feeders without moving them if stacked.

I'd avoid the glass Exo Terra enclosures as those aren't suitable for terrestrial species without heavy modification (they look nice and are fun to set up but they're made for arboreal species).

A lot of people use RUBs (Really Useful Boxes), again, these are cheap, stackable and pretty easy to modify (even if you suck at DIY, all you need to do is drill/melt some holes for ventilation), @EulersK has a tutorial on modifying the lids with acrylic for better visibility but that's optional.

Swell Reptiles also have some acrylic display enclosures and multi boxes (similar to Breeder Boxes but more variety in sizes/shapes), links below.

Acrylic display enclosure
Swell Multi Boxes