Which pokie has the weakest venom?Or should I just get a regalis?

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I want to get a pokie,but I am scared by their venom.which one has the lowest venom potency?I really like regalis.they are most attractive to me,so should I just go with one of them?what do you guys think?

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
...then get the regalis. in the end, why not go with what you really want?

i'm not biased or anything since i want one too :p

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My first was a rufilata, but now I have ornata, subfusca, metallica, and miranda. You probably shouldn't worry about venom potency as long as you don't handle, they really aren't the monsters people make them out to be. But you should always be aware that they can bite. So I guess you should worry about potency. I think I heard somewhere P. regalis had the worst venom. Not sure where though. But get whatever you want really, just make sure you treat them with respect.

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Their not as scary as ppl say... got get one you'll love it... just be mindful when your feeding, rehousing etc... that's an easy t to take care of... a bit little faster than your average T...

Stopdroproll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do you plan on getting bitten or something? Watch Rob's documentary of his regalis (I think) bite.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My female B. vagans is much more defensive than any of my pokies, of course they are all of my pokies are small. Pokies are just very secretive and like to retreat at the slightest disturbance.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Pick wich one you like. The venom is the same. They are really not that bad tempered. Just that too many has made them to be much worse than they really are. Leave them alone, and you will have a nice looking T ;-)

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do you plan on getting bitten or something? Watch Rob's documentary of his regalis (I think) bite.
It was an ornata I am pretty sure. Also if you are worried about the venom just check the bite reports.

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Are they faster and more aggressive than h.maculata?because my h.mac scares the crap outta me!it's the only species I have seen of that is aggressive.she hides until I open her cage.then she pops at the entrance and sits there until I go to remove her water dish with 12" tongs.she attacks the tongs with crazy speed.I don't like it because I think it might stress her out.now I just spray into the water dish with a spray bottle so she doesn't freak out.it has to be the friekiest thing I own.it might just be mine though,as my friend has a pretty calm one.they're both lightning fast though.thanks for the input guys.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The term is 'defensive', and no, they generally are not.

Big Red TJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Note: disclaimer I do not recommend anyone do what I do but I have handle my pokies and H. mac from time to time not a forced interaction but if the bolt it tends to be up my arm...that being said pokies as far as behavior differ, not any two are alike. I treat them with respect and move or rehouse only when needed. What I will say is many people make them out to be demons that they are not. Now as far as venom goes a pokie bite is a pokie bite...no matter how you ask it or cut the cards, getting bit will be very unpleaseant no matter what species it is.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Are they faster and more aggressive than h.maculata?because my h.mac scares the crap outta me!
Just for your information H.maculata also has a rather potent venom so if your already keeping this genus then keeping some Poecilotheria isn't to much different in terms of care ;]
-Chris

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Point is I dont think anyone wants to get by any pokies lol . I think ornata may have the worst venom , and iv'e heard that the metallica is more on the docile side where you can handle them and their venom isnt AS potent as others , but still bad .

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
According to this Russian site, P. formosa has the most potent venom.

It is considering that the venom of this species potentially the most harmful for human amongst other Poecilotheria species
Not too hostile and/or rude, I hope?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A question like "which pokie is the least venomous" is kind of like "which handgun is the least dangerous?" Answer: They all are. Would you rather be shot with a .357 or a 9mm? They would both really hurt. Sure the .357 would make a bigger hole but that 9mm would be no walk in the park.

Poecilotheria all have pretty nasty venom but they are (mostly) all fairly skittish rather than defensive. If you can deal with an H. maculata then these will be no different. If anything a P. regalis will be more docile than either. I have adult P. regalis and P. striata and have seen exactly one legitimate threat display between the two of them, from the regalis. That was when I really startled her by basically dropping a roach on her head. Surprise!

Last edited:

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just for your information H.maculata also has a rather potent venom so if your already keeping this genus then keeping some Poecilotheria isn't to much different in terms of care ;]
-Chris
No different as far as venom potency. Given that pokies need it humid, and H.mac need it dry--there is definently a difference in care.