Which Pampho?

• Pamphobeteus sp. machala

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • Pamphobeteus fortis

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

TyjTheMighty

Arachnosquire
I've come out of my dark corner once again to ask for ya'lls opinions! So, there's an expo in my area this Sunday and one of the breeders (she's a member here actually) is selling female Pam. fortis and Pam. sp machala. I've already accepted that I make terrible life decisions and that I'll have no money as I'll be buying several other Ts at the expo as well. And my city has an expo every 2 months...

ANYWAYS, I usually only see nigricolors and platyommas for sale. And I just want to know what you guys' think :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Which 'Pampho' ?

Everyone. And if given for free, like happened for my M.robustum, better :-s

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I've come out of my dark corner once again to ask for ya'lls opinions! So, there's an expo in my area this Sunday and one of the breeders (she's a member here actually) is selling female Pam. fortis and Pam. sp machala. I've already accepted that I make terrible life decisions and that I'll have no money as I'll be buying several other Ts at the expo as well. And my city has an expo every 2 months...

ANYWAYS, I usually only see nigricolors and platyommas for sale. And I just want to know what you guys' think :)
I'd get P.sp machalla if I had to choose, they are both pretty cool, actually picking up some P.fortis very soon with a large order of various Ts :D

cold blood

Staff member
All Pamphs are worth buying...get the one you get the best deal on. If you see nigricolor regularly, jump all over it. Dont avoid something because you see it often...thats a huge mistake many newer buyers consistently make.

Last edited:

TyjTheMighty

Arachnosquire
All Pamphs are worth buying...get the one you get the best deal on. If you see nigricolor regularly, jump all over it. Dont avoid something becaise you see it often...thats a huge mistake many newer buyers consistently make.

I so couldn't afford the nigricolors I've seen. Plus my fiance is in the hobby with me, so we try to get what we both like or we split and get half and half-ish, and he's mostly only into arboreals.
But the fortis is being sold for $60 and the machala for $80.

Jason B

Arachnosquire
I'm mostly in to Arboreals that said Pamphos are one of my favorite terrestrials. All things being equal I would go for the machala, however I will say every collection needs a platy common or not.

TyjTheMighty

Arachnosquire
I'm mostly in to Arboreals that said Pamphos are one of my favorite terrestrials. All things being equal I would go for the machala, however I will say every collection needs a platy common or not.
I 100% agree with you, I'd have all the pamphos if I could... maybe one day :smug:

Jason B

Arachnosquire
Ok dumb question.... what is it and why is it called a chicken spider?
Start here http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/spiderman.shtml
Now thats why most want one. after that I'm not exactly sure what it is. Most believe its P. Antinous but, P. Antinous isn't communal like the species they found in Peru. Some believe the peru version is a geographical variant. Of course not all spiders communal in nature translate to communal in captivity.

When one such as us reads that article they get the picture of a Communal group of giant black spiders, and for whatever reason it isn't possible with atleast the P. Antinous thats in the hobby.
Unless when I was looking back about a month ago I missed some article or thread..This is one species that I'd love real concrete info or even more then what I know or think I know. lol

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Now thats why most want one. after that I'm not exactly sure what it is. Most believe its P. Antinous but, P. Antinous isn't communal like the species they found in Peru. Some believe the peru version is a geographical variant. Of course not all spiders communal in nature translate to communal in captivity.

When one such as us reads that article they get the picture of a Communal group of giant black spiders, and for whatever reason it isn't possible with atleast the P. Antinous thats in the hobby.
Unless when I was looking back about a month ago I missed some article or thread..This is one species that I'd love real concrete info or even more then what I know or think I know. lol
I sense some contempt for the chicken spider.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Back in the Tinely Park expo in March, I bought a Pampho fortis. They are fantastic, on eof my favorite genera to keep. I had a Pampho sp. goliath as well and it is doing super well. The fortis just molted a few days ago, and gained quite a bit of size! Despite that though, I'd probably go with the machala. That's only because I believe they get a little more color than fortis (pink/purple wise) but they are probably both about equal. Either way, you'll either get an extremely colorful MM or a gigantic brown eating machine ;) Like @cold blood said, they are all great and you should at least get one Pampho regardless of the species :D

Jason B

Arachnosquire
I sense some contempt for the chicken spider.
Not for P. Antinous, its still on my to buy list.. but I remember when the article I linked came out, and well I bought in to the hype follow a few different threads on a few sites, one on bts. About these chicken spider communals. The idea of a t blondi sized spiders that could be kept communal had me pretty excited. I had visions of like a 100 gallon tank with like 6 of these bad boys in it. My contempt is really just cause I'm not able to do that and still wish I could. But... I'm still buying one.

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not for P. Antinous, its still on my to buy list.. but I remember when the article I linked came out, and well I bought in to the hype follow a few different threads on a few sites, one on bts. About these chicken spider communals. The idea of a t blondi sized spiders that could be kept communal had me pretty excited. I had visions of like a 100 gallon tank with like 6 of these bad boys in it. My contempt is really just cause I'm not able to do that and still wish I could. But... I'm still buying one.
you're skeptical:) As much as these cost you'd be crazy to try to keep 6 of them together

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
I'm machala biased due to the fact that I own one. With that being said, I would gladly take any Pamphobeteus sp. with no second thoughts... if it was a good deal.

Jason B

Arachnosquire
you're skeptical:) As much as these cost you'd be crazy to try to keep 6 of them together
Oh people have tried to keep P. Antinous together, it just fails pretty bad which is a pretty stark contrast to something thats been described as "actually learned to cooperate in prey capture, allowing for the predation of larger animals than would be possible if it were alone. ". My theory on this is that the species that is in the Tambopata Reserve is either a unique geographical variant or a different species. I think some crafty and dishonest business men. Decided to start selling P. Antinous as chicken spiders in the hope to drive up demand for P. Antinous. Its alot easier to Acquire P. Antinous then it is to smuggle a species out of A Remote, protected reserve then smuggle them out of a country, that atleast at the time banned the export of tarantulas. I'm sure it could be done, but its a much easier and profitable just to convince the hobby that what they want is P. Antinous cause thats way more sustainable. Its not really that much unlike the whole t. blondi/t. stirmi issue that went on for years. To the point where breeding t. blondi was considered really hit and miss, because half the time people were tring to breed two different species and not even know it.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince

Just read the article you posted a thread to, really interesting and what a size they get, no to mention the sp. that have not even been discovered yet - fascinating.........