Which of these petco Ts should I rescue?

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Check craigslist! I have a lovely adult female G. rosea I took off someone's hands for free. You have to be patient, but they do pop up. If you were local, I'd gladly give her to you :) Or look around, see if you have a reptile/exotic show nearby. Ours always has Ts.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah there's actually someone on a local forum selling an unsexed 3 inch C. fasciatum for 15 bucks, might check that out actually.

C. fasciatum is actually one of my favorite species and I want to get one eventually but not sure if I should get one as my first T.

As far as the shipping, I probably wouldn't want to risk a dead arrival by shipping cheap.
They really aren't bad if you don't plan on handling. My first Ts were a G pulchripes, a B vagans and a C fascitum. Very easy to care fun, fn webbers.

Versi*JP*Color

Arachnoknight
That's an A.metallica.
Looks just like mine, got him for $20 and I love him.
4in a.metallica's just don't pop up like that. Go for it.:?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you can't afford to do it the 'right' way (buying from a hobbyist or online dealer), then you shouldn't be getting any at all.

Don't 'rescue' them from pet shops, period.

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yeah there's actually someone on a local forum selling an unsexed 3 inch C. fasciatum for 15 bucks, might check that out actually.

C. fasciatum is actually one of my favorite species and I want to get one eventually but not sure if I should get one as my first T.

As far as the shipping, I probably wouldn't want to risk a dead arrival by shipping cheap.
C. fasciatum are fun, colorful spiders. Not typically tolerant of handling however. I'd recommend them as a first if you don't plan on holding them. They aren't too fast, they're appealing to the eye and they lay out neat web sheets. Go for a fasciatum if you're able to.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
xhedex going the right way isn't needed, you're just being picky. If you don't have alot of $$ then why not? Spiders don't cost 100$ to keep in a month...
ohhh a cricket..
ohhh a dollar store container...
ohh some peatmoss...
ohhh a stick...

Go ahead and buy it from the pet shop. The fact is, someone IS going to buy it. (especially at that price) Then probably come to arachnoboards saying 'what is the sex?' or 'Oh know it flipped over, is it DEAD?!', but they may not post here either.

Anyways, It might as well be you, if its a female... an avic for 18$ at that size isn't bad. I'd buy it.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you can't afford to do it the 'right' way (buying from a hobbyist or online dealer), then you shouldn't be getting any at all.

Don't 'rescue' them from pet shops, period.
Agreeing with this, too.

The cheap way isn't the best way.

Honestly, if you're not willing to spend the money, maybe it's time to reconsider.

Times are hard for everyone, but that doesn't mean we're all going to snag up every pet store T we find.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow. Are those of us that have bought cheaply or bought from a pet store going to burst into flames for our evil deeds?

I just bought a C. Marshelli and an Avic. Sp. At a store a few weeks ago and would do it again. Their prices were comparative to the same size/species i've seen here and I didn't have to pay shipping. This store takes half way decent care of the Ts and I felt like supporting it.

But I don't necessarily agree with rescuing a T from a bad store.

As the poster said, I certainly wouldn't want to pay $70 for a basic beginner species that can be sold by the dozen to get started in a hobby I may or may not like. Although I lovveee to shop around, try to buy close to home so I feel ok doing priority, or buy multiple Ts if I'm doing express.

Blackbeard

Arachnopeon
Chris, I see where you see the Avic could beca metallica. But, I seriously doubt the store would fork out the extra dough for one. But, again, you never know. An LPS around here had an adult female Stromatopelma calceatum for $20 two years ago. The lady working there at the time even offered to get it out and show me how friendly it was. Hmmm...

Anyway, looks to me this store actually takes good care of their Ts. So "rescuing" wouldn't be the proper term (likely). Good substrate, good tank size, etc. If you want one, I like Avics for a NW species.
Agreed.
The walls of the Grammostola enclosure are a bit high and the Avic could indeed do with some more humidity but it isn't bad at all.
Just goes to show that generalising all stores isn't fair.

Sodaboy1978

Arachnopeon
I tell you like I told my wife. Read up on the one you are most likely to purchase. If you feel like buying it, then buy it. We have both sp. that you have mentioned and both have been very good. We bought the Pink toe from our LPS and bought the Rosie from a breeder. Both are doing very well. People in all hobby's are going to get their panties in a twist when you mention pet stores. And usually they are right about the pet stores not paying much attention to details to their animals.:wall:. But sometimes you can find a real good deal at pet store, when they really don't have a clue what they have. I say if the price is right go for it.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
xhedex going the right way isn't needed, you're just being picky. If you don't have alot of $$ then why not? Spiders don't cost 100$ to keep in a month...
ohhh a cricket..
ohhh a dollar store container...
ohh some peatmoss...
ohhh a stick...

Go ahead and buy it from the pet shop. The fact is, someone IS going to buy it. (especially at that price) Then probably come to arachnoboards saying 'what is the sex?' or 'Oh know it flipped over, is it DEAD?!', but they may not post here either.

Anyways, It might as well be you, if its a female... an avic for 18$ at that size isn't bad. I'd buy it.
Please work on spelling my username correctly, or just call me Joe. Sorry if that's being too 'picky' for you.

You have no clue if someone's going to buy that spider or not. If they stay there and die, the odds of the pet shop buying a replacement drop. If someone buys it, the pet shop will definitely buy a replacement.

Those spiders are wild-caught and treated poorly. Buy a healthy spider from a hobbyist who cares about it.

Back to the OP - do whatever you want, but you asked for opinions, and you got them.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You have no clue if someone's going to buy that spider or not. If they stay there and die, the odds of the pet shop buying a replacement drop. If someone buys it, the pet shop will definitely buy a replacement.

Those spiders are wild-caught and treated poorly. Buy a healthy spider from a hobbyist who cares about it.
For starters, you cannot guarantee any of this. Most all petstores keep a few tarantulas in at all times. Regardless of whether or not the previous ones sold or died. It is a business, and as such, tarantulas do draw customers...and again, that is regardless of whether or not they sell. Name a pet-store that just flat doesn't carry tarantulas....I know of none.

WC or CB? Who knows? You have to discuss this with whoever is in charge of ordering. WC is a big possibility in some cases. They are cheap and can be sold cheap. Though, two of the three LPSs in my area strictly buy CB Ts ONLY. The other prefers CB, but some species can't be had unless WC. So, exceptions are made.

These tarantulas already look as though they are being taken care of. Most hobbyists on these boards can't even keep their own Ts this clean. Why buy from them? Because they aren't a store and won't charge you tax? Well, shipping is more than that! I know we are a community here, and as such, generally prefer to help each other out. I always prefer to buy off the boards. BUT, generalized hate of all pet-stores is completely uncalled for.

If there is a REAL reason neither of these Ts mentioned should be bought, list it. So far, the only argument has been that they are being sold in a store. So what?!

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
If you do decide to buy one of them ...be careful I was in my local petco a few weeks ago to buy substrate and they had a g.rosea that was a mm and on his last legs for sale. I told the manager {who was totally unaware and knew nothing about T's} and he promptly removed the sale sign. So like I said just becareful I would hate a bad experience to ruin a great hobby for you. I have bought t's from petco, My first T was from there... a g.rosea

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Please work on spelling my username correctly, or just call me Joe. Sorry if that's being too 'picky' for you.

Back to the OP - do whatever you want, but you asked for opinions, and you got them.
IMO at the price of 18$ someone is going to buy it, then if it was priced 60$..

Yep probably wild caught, but there are healthy w-c's that live a long time... that arent male..and those spiders look 'okay' from what I can tell in the pics, probably could use some tlc for the pinky.

Sure I care about hobbyist. But if the dudes just starting out, why not spend a little money instead of ditching 70$ total for an avic?(shipping+adult size) We all know if he enjoys it, 1 will turn into 10... and those 9 will probably come from hobbyist once he is comfortable.

Anyways, sorry about the name, just woke up and it sounds funny in my brain at 7am...

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Do you guys really think that the adult female avics and rosies that online dealers sell are any better quality than those that come from a decent LPS? They all come from the same imports!

OP, those spiders look fine. As previously mentioned, read up on mature male anatomy and make sure they aren't MMs, and pick the one you like best. I'd go with the avic, but I'm a bit biased ;)

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For starters, you cannot guarantee any of this. Most all petstores keep a few tarantulas in at all times. Regardless of whether or not the previous ones sold or died. It is a business, and as such, tarantulas do draw customers...and again, that is regardless of whether or not they sell. Name a pet-store that just flat doesn't carry tarantulas....I know of
I'm not against buying from a pet store, but with Petco you can guarantee you are getting a wild caught specimen. And I do believe that pet stores will keep atleast one on hand no matter what. And To your question, the petsupermarket and the petsmart here neither carry Ts.

Some of the argument being made here is that if you buy one then it will be replaced with another wild caught one. Well I got news for you, not buying that T won't stop wild collecting. If that T wouldve sold then yes, it would be replaced with another WC one, but if it didnt sell, the WC specimen that wouldve replaced that one, is just going to another store.

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi all.

Can't really post a lot right now cause I'm on my phone but will go back and reply later today.

I definitely want more than just one T :)

Will definitely buy mostly from hobbyists or reputable online dealers. I mean I'd really have to for anything other than a rose or pink toe. And I do agree that WC shouldn't really be bought for the conservation of the species. But I might just buy from LPS this one time, being my first T.

If I can confirm the pinktoe as a female metallica I think Ill definitely buy it cause I'm still not sure what one is worth but I know 20 buck or less is a good deal. Especially when u don't have to pay 30 in shipping to guarantee live arrival.

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Also will say: its good to hear you guys echo what I had thought. They're kept pretty well but the avic could use more humidity.

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey guys what's the best way to distinguish between A. avicularia and A. metallica?

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
Hi all.

Can't really post a lot right now cause I'm on my phone but will go back and reply later today.

I definitely want more than just one T :)

Will definitely buy mostly from hobbyists or reputable online dealers. I mean I'd really have to for anything other than a rose or pink toe. And I do agree that WC shouldn't really be bought for the conservation of the species. But I might just buy from LPS this one time, being my first T.

If I can confirm the pinktoe as a female metallica I think Ill definitely buy it cause I'm still not sure what one is worth but I know 20 buck or less is a good deal. Especially when u don't have to pay 30 in shipping to guarantee live arrival.
If you must buy now I have to ask if there aren't mom and pop pet shops in the neighborhood that you can go through instead of petshmo! Small pet stores are a dying breed and should be supported.You might look into it.