Which of the avics?

Ehliza

Arachnopeon
When I first started looking into getting a T, I saw one of the common names for a beginner species was the Pink Toe. I ended up getting an A geni. instead because I didn't want to deal with an arboreal. Now I'm more confident around Ts, and I think I can deal with arboreal. Problem is, I'm confused between the differences between the Avics (metallica, avicularia, versicolor). Now I know why people opt against common names, since I've get results of all 3 when I search Pink Toe. My question is this; which of the 3 would be the best choice, and how different are the 3 species besides look-wise?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Avicularia versicolor is now Caribena versicolor.

I would go for that as they are easy obtainable. Inexpensive and have fantastic colors.but that is just my opinion.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
theyre all great. if i had to choose, id pick metallica or versicolor though. generally, all avics are pretty skittish, and not very defensive, but individuals vary.

patriotgator

Arachnopeon
I would get the Avicularia Avicularia. It's usually pretty cheap and since it's your first arboreal it'll be good experience.

Ehliza

Arachnopeon
theyre all great. if i had to choose, id pick metallica or versicolor though. generally, all avics are pretty skittish, and not very defensive, but individuals vary.
I've heard they're really prone to darting out of the enclosure when it opens, and that they're pretty speedy. Is that a common problem with them?

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
I've heard they're really prone to darting out of the enclosure when it opens, and that they're pretty speedy. Is that a common problem with them?
I used to worry about the same thing. With over a year of keeping avics it's never happened. They're really one of the most chilled out species I've kept

awiec

Arachnoprince
I've had C.versicolor slings deciding to take a trip on my hand but they are easy to corral back in. If you keep them in a larger container they will prefer to stay there than take off, but are still quite calm.They are also pretty hardy, cheap and have nice colors.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
with slings, i found that to be a issue. they dont really bolt out as much as they just walk out and on to anything you use to try to get them back in. they are also very prone to jumping. i have noticed this with my C versicolor more than any other avic. once they get comfortable they generally settle down.

Leila

Arachnobaron
My juvie A. avic was a speed freak for the first 2 weeks of owning her. But she calmed down sooo much more once she settled into her new home.
When I open her enclosure now, she just stays put in her little leaf-web tunnel and lets me go about my business. She is a sweetheart. I love her so much. :)

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
My C. versicolor is so chill. When I first got her and tried to move her into her home she decided my hand and arm was far more interesting.
It was the first time I actually touched a tarantula.
I coaxed her back into her tank and she ran up my other arm. LOL
I thought what did I get myself into.
But since then she just chills out in her Web tunnels.
(I call it her but that's wishful thinking so far.)

cold blood

Staff member
That's just not correct.

Avics and their cousins are not difficult to work with or around, even if they are getting exploratory.

All of your choices are good ones.

A. avic, nice t, good eaters, moderate growers and inexpensive.

metallica is very similar to avic avic except they have a black rump and white tipped setae...its also larger, like the 6" range.

versicolor are faster growers and seem to be more hardy as slings. Smaller as adults, with females around 5"
Avicularia sp. purple is another real looker, as it also has those tipped setae...and theyre purple. Larger as well. over 6" for a female. View media item 38818

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I'm confused between the differences between the Avics (metallica, avicularia, versicolor). Now I know why people opt against common names, since I've get results of all 3 when I search Pink Toe. My question is this; which of the 3 would be the best choice, and how different are the 3 species besides look-wise?
Any of those would be good options, so pick what you like that you can find at a good price. (Care will be similar for all three.)

Avics are faster than the NW terrestrials that are commonly recommended as starter species, but their speed is manageable for a newbie.

I have never had one try to bolt out when I opened the cage.

In my experience, once Avics settle into their new homes, if you spook them, they generally go to their retreats. That being said, both of mine have been pretty laid back. (The elderly one, which passed away last month due to a bad molt, would just slowly move away from whatever was bothering her toward her retreat.)

Still, I wouldn't leave the cage open without someone watching.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
When I first started looking into getting a T, I saw one of the common names for a beginner species was the Pink Toe. I ended up getting an A geni. instead because I didn't want to deal with an arboreal. Now I'm more confident around Ts, and I think I can deal with arboreal. Problem is, I'm confused between the differences between the Avics (metallica, avicularia, versicolor). Now I know why people opt against common names, since I've get results of all 3 when I search Pink Toe. My question is this; which of the 3 would be the best choice, and how different are the 3 species besides look-wise?

I own/owned all three. A. metallica is the largest of those 3. It's also typically the most laid back. Versi is the smallest and also the most skittish.

All 3 are great eaters.

If it was me, I'd get A. metallica again, hands down.