Which NW Arboreal to Get Next?

Preferred NW Arboreal

• Total voters

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
12 days ago, I lost my first tarantula, an Avicularia avicularia to a bad molt. Now I have an empty enclosure that makes me sad whenever I look at it.

The obvious solution is to clean it out and set it up for a new arboreal resident.

The enclosure is a front-opening glass Exo Terra Mini/Tall (12" x 12" x 18"). Ideally, I would like to get something that is ready to move in or will at least quickly grow into being ready to move in.

I am looking into New World arboreals. (I don't want any Old Worlds yet.) I don't handle my tarantulas, so I don't care if they are skittish or a little feisty, but I do like to see them (so no ghosts). Webbing is A-OK in my book. Fluffiness is a bonus.

My arboreal experience level is that I have been successfully keeping two Avicularia avicularia (one juvenile and the elderly female I just lost) for three years.

I like Avics and would be open to getting another one of those or one of its recently transferred cousins. (Reading old threads while researching arboreals, I don't know why so many people hate on Avics. I think they're great.) I am also interested in Psalmopoeus cambridgei.

So what are your favorite NW arboreals for an enclosure of this size? What do you like (or not like) about them? Species I can currently buy without paying for shipping:
  • Caribena versicolor - ½"
  • Psalmopoeus cambridgei - 2"
  • Psalmopoeus irminia – 1"
  • Tapinauchenius gigas – 2"
  • Tapinauchenius plumipes – 3" (female)
  • Tapinauchenius violaceus - 2.5"

I think if I end up getting Psalmopoeus cambridgei, a larger enclosure might not be so bad, as they may feel less "cornered" when I go in for maintenance.

Are Tapies too big of a jump from Avics? I know they can teleport.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
That enclosure size would be perfect for an adult P. cambridgei or one of the larger Avic species, Psalmos grow pretty fast too so I imagine it wouldn't be too long before it gets big enough to go into that.

I'm not sure that any of the Tapies would get big enough to warrant using an enclosure of that size for them, gigas is the largest of the genus and only maxes out at around 5" or so if I remember correctly.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
My arboreal experience is also limited to Avics, but when the time comes I'll be moving on to Psalmos. I say get the cambridgei (that's the one I want too ;)). I personally wouldn't jump from Avics to Tapies. I've heard they're speed demons.

boina

Lady of the mites
Well, I think a versi is a bit too small for an enclosure that size since it's one of the smaller Avic species. From what I've seen T. gigas does get a bit bigger than 5" and since it's a fast T with a great feeding response it shouldn't have any problems with an enclosure that size. I also think it's the most visible of the Tapis and they grow like an 8 legged hulk. Plumipes and violaceus are smaller. P. cambridgei is a personal favorite of mine. I don't think that enclosure is too small for an adult. Mine has proven very tolerant of maintenance work etc. and is calmer and more visible than my irminia. If you prefer an Avic maybe you want to consider one of the bigger species. I can strongly recommend A. huriana if you like the coloring. :D

shaneshac

Arachnosquire
The Psalmopeus i have worked with have been a whole lot more aggressive than loads of Poecilotheria apart from a female rufilata I had and my mates ornata

P irminias have all been pure evil

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Yes, or at least something very close to that in spelling. Heard from CEC
Cool, thanks. I did read through the revision when it was linked on here but it's a bit of a ball-ache remembering what a lot of the junior synonyms are, the spelling is correct btw.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Are Tapies too big of a jump from Avics?
No, IMO they aren't :-s

I know they can teleport.
Like one moment every arboreal from S.calceatum to Asians. Sure they are considered the most speedy but it's a very technical mere detail, a P.cambridgei if wants can do the same, so other arboreals.

I consider genus Psalmopoeus at 360° the complete arboreal one and P.cambridgei as the better arboreal for start for someone (I'm not talking about you, uh) interested in moving his/her first steps into arboreals.

'avics' on my book belongs to a separate league, just like those that loves to collect cool classic cars :-s

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Get a semi arboreal. T. ockerti will do great in that enclosure. put a good size diameter cork tube in sub at a 45 degree angle towards one upper rear corner and some fake plant deco. They are out in the open most of the time, eat like linebackers, and are very colorful.
This was my juvenile T. ockerti enclosure. it used both top and bottom openings to the cork bark tube.
2015-11-07 16.18.51.jpg

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
12 days ago, I lost my first tarantula, an Avicularia avicularia to a bad molt. Now I have an empty enclosure that makes me sad whenever I look at it.

The obvious solution is to clean it out and set it up for a new arboreal resident.

The enclosure is a front-opening glass Exo Terra Mini/Tall (12" x 12" x 18"). Ideally, I would like to get something that is ready to move in or will at least quickly grow into being ready to move in.

I am looking into New World arboreals. (I don't want any Old Worlds yet.) I don't handle my tarantulas, so I don't care if they are skittish or a little feisty, but I do like to see them (so no ghosts). Webbing is A-OK in my book. Fluffiness is a bonus.

My arboreal experience level is that I have been successfully keeping two Avicularia avicularia (one juvenile and the elderly female I just lost) for three years.

I like Avics and would be open to getting another one of those or one of its recently transferred cousins. (Reading old threads while researching arboreals, I don't know why so many people hate on Avics. I think they're great.) I am also interested in Psalmopoeus cambridgei.

So what are your favorite NW arboreals for an enclosure of this size? What do you like (or not like) about them? Species I can currently buy without paying for shipping:
  • Caribena versicolor - ½"
  • Psalmopoeus cambridgei - 2"
  • Psalmopoeus irminia – 1"
  • Tapinauchenius gigas – 2"
  • Tapinauchenius plumipes – 3" (female)
  • Tapinauchenius violaceus - 2.5"

I think if I end up getting Psalmopoeus cambridgei, a larger enclosure might not be so bad, as they may feel less "cornered" when I go in for maintenance.

Are Tapies too big of a jump from Avics? I know they can teleport.
Psalms are on the same speed level as tappies...taps are faster, but its not by much.

I'd go with a P. cambridgei.
The obvious choice.

awiec

Arachnoprince
That enclosure size would be perfect for an adult P. cambridgei or one of the larger Avic species, Psalmos grow pretty fast too so I imagine it wouldn't be too long before it gets big enough to go into that.

I'm not sure that any of the Tapies would get big enough to warrant using an enclosure of that size for them, gigas is the largest of the genus and only maxes out at around 5" or so if I remember correctly.
My T.gigas is a little over 5 inches but most don't get much bigger. Also they can easily traverse large cages with ease, I put 2nd instars into 32oz delis and they have no issues catching prey.

If you go the tap route, I suggest T.gigas as an orange spider is easier to find than a little dark one as the slings will get away from you.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
P. Cam, it's probably one of the most intelligent Ts that I have.

C. Versicolor, probably one of the prettiest Ts.

Kinda just depends on what you're looking for. My P. Cam is very elusive and super quick. My c. Versi is just colorful and adorable. P. cam is weird. Lol

Love em both. No experience with the others mentioned.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I picked Psalmopoeus cause they're kinda cool. My favorite is the P pulcher. I know it's not on your list. No matter which arboreal you get, it's most likely gonna hide. It's a treat to see them, and they all show their face eventually.

I don't think Tapi's are as bad as their perceived reputation. I have a couple. They tend to hide when you open the container if you give them the time to do it.

Looking at your list, I'd take the T plumipes primarily because it's a female.

One thing to remember on setting up arboreal enclosures properly. Avics and former Avics web high and move up to hide when you open the container, same with Iridopelma. Pokies, Psalmopoeus, and Tapi's tend to go down to hide. Set them up right and they're easier to deal with.