Which new T should I get?

H

HoneyRose

I am new to the tarantula world, just got my first Mexican Red Leg sling a couple days ago and am hooked! He/she is doing great can't wait to watch it grow and also to find out the sex, seems like its going to molt pretty soon as its a lil 'out of it' and hasn't taken food yet.

Anyways, I'm excited to purchase a second T soon and can't decide what to get, I'd like one with an interesting colour pattern, not too common and also that is a pretty active species...any suggestions? {D

LisaD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Since you already have a Brachypelma (and one of the best, IMO) I suggest a Greenbottle blue (Chromatopelma cyanopubescens) as your second T.

Can't be beat for color/pattern. Reasonably active. Eats with gusto - mine will stuff three crickets at a time into its jaws. Good for display, with interesting webbing. Big but not huge. Adults very expensive, slings affordable. Grows fast (faster than B smithi, at any rate). A little skittish, but not very aggressively defensive. Not too uncommon, but not in "every" collection, either -- though it should be.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Acanthoscurria geniculata...........or any one indiv of fifty to eighty or so other spp.......... :)

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
I agree with Terry on this one. A. geniculata all the way! They are beautiful, eat like machines, and grow fast!

H

HoneyRose

My hubby has been researching up on the Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens hes fallen in love with this T! Its very beautiful!

H

HoneyRose

Anybody have any experience with the Euathlus spec Chile?

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Good choice...can't go wrong with that species.

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
the giant white knee is indeed a great display t, hungry and beautiful. They do however have the type of unpredictability of a bird eater i.e defensive and fearless even when prodded lightly on the abdomen. Thats where it stops with handling for me with t's, from this species upward they never feel the warmth of my palm as i would fear for its life if it bolted and fear for my hand being perforated as the fangs are nigh-on t.blondi size! B.smithi was my first, then i got a.......king baboon! The thing is, the t will only ever become a threat to you during handling or rehousing (possibly feeding if you buy a pokie but not often) p. Metallica are the ultimate colourful t but like moon dust to buy. Greenbottle blue are indeed beautiful and sort of semi-aboreal, webbing the floor and a few inch up the wall of the viv and strikingly coloured but well over a hundred quid for a guaranteed af. Whiteknee does sound best for you, like terry suggested but when (i say when) you get the one after, look for a bargain gbb or if your ready for a rewarding challenge, get a nice striata or a fantastic sun tiger!

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nhandu tripepii.Big,good pinkish blonde color,eats like a horse,and not very common.

H

HoneyRose

Thank you for all of your kind suggestions, my hubby is more for the GBB and I am taken with the giant species, I found this guy: Lasiodora parahybana caught my eye and from all the info has really intrigued me!
And yes I have also checked out the King Baboon, saw them at my local breeder...gorgeous T! I especially love the Starburst and the fact they hiss haha very fascinating!

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
the king baboon is pretty cool but you only ever see her move when the lights go out, she has burrowed next to the glass and is in full view in her burrow but still very sleep inducing to behold :( for display t's always avoid king babs, cobalt blues and thailand blacks (they are extremely antisocial individuals might i add!) enjoy whichever one you choose and i wish you the best of luck! :)

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
i also own a lasidora parahybana and she has been known to eat 4 crickets in a single day! She is always excavating and rearranging her moss (and filling the water dish with substrate again and again :mad:) one cooool t! But climbs a lot, which is why there is now only about 4 inch of headroom for her for fear of her going splat, highly reccomended new addition

TripMcNealy

Arachnopeon
Get a Nhandu Chromatus (Brazilian giant red n white birdeater!) Beautiful.... Big.... and they eat like machines! :D

nolan

Arachnopeon
i also own a lasidora parahybana and she has been known to eat 4 crickets in a single day! She is always excavating and rearranging her moss (and filling the water dish with substrate again and again :mad:) one cooool t! But climbs a lot, which is why there is now only about 4 inch of headroom for her for fear of her going splat, highly reccomended new addition
I second this i have one and it was my second t very active and always out in the open

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Anybody have any experience with the Euathlus spec Chile?
okay, i'm trying to remember which one this is synonymous with?

i have a euathlus sp. "blue", and from what i've seen it grows slow, is kind of nervous, but fairly docile. my sling is pretty fast though, so i don't make a habit of messing with it too much. keep it pretty much like a rosea, although i think they like a little bit of climbing? also, forget trying to powerfeed the sucker. ugh, my grammostolas are growing faster than that little punk.

cute thing though, gotta love that butterfly mirror patch they have.

Last edited:

mikebannon

Arachnopeon
brazilian blackGrammasola pulchra is a great tarantula to get. A green bottle blue Chromatopelma cyanopubecense would be great as well!:)

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Next T

How can I argue? Chaco. GBB, B Black!, A Genic, N Chromatus are all excellant choices-Seriously.

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
GBB=Awesome. LP=Awesome.

LP is much larger, with little webbing. They seem to never hide though once they get to a few inches. Or less.

GBB is AMAZING as a sling to look at, and still look great as adults. They web cool and are active.

A geniculatas are a blast too, but perhaps fiestier. Mine stikes tongs when I prod her to get her out of the way. Hopefully she's gravid though, so that may have something to do with it.