Which locust,grasshopper,katydid???

Marc_C

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey,
I breed all the food that I feed to my animals and I was thinking or breeding some locusts or grasshoppers to throw a little more variety in there. The thing is that I really have no idea what species to look for to start breeding. I want something that will be fairly prolific, atleast semi nice looking and that gets to a half decent size. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions that would be great. I already breed my own crickets and roaches and snails and isopods and mealworms for feeders along with a few rodents and I just figured I'd give locusts a try.
Marcus-Sparkus

P.S. if you have any other ideas for feeders that would be great too!

:}

toan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Roaches, if you haven't already done that, and stick insects. sticks are easy and loved by my chameleons; however, they may be much less prolific than roaches. Pink winged sticks are a good choice and easy to get.

Toan

Marc_C

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am getting a few Phasmid species within a couple of months. A local breeder in toronto has them. I didn't think that they were prolific enough to be steadily used as feeders though. Does anyone have any experiance with these?
Marcus-Sparkus

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

what about a rainbow hopper? Those are awsome colors!! Go for those! Good Luck!

James

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I give locusts to my chameleon, and my new rosie was the first T to take a locust, the locust is Locusta migratoria, which I believe is illegal to have in the US, here it is just sold in petstores.
James: rainbow hoppers are indeed very beautiful, but those colours are usually a warning that they don't taste very good, so as a feeder I don't know if that would work
greetz,
Joost