Which isopods should I get?

Ghoul

Arachnosquire
I want to get some other isopod species in the future (as soon as the weather gets warmer and I can release my current ones into the woods, where I got them from in the first place :p). I currently own a box with Porcellio scaber (in grey and calico), Oniscus asellus (in grey, brown, nearly white) and Armadillidium vulgare, the latter breed like crazy so I'm definitly releasing those. I'll keep some pretties of the others though :)

P. scaber usually hang out in the upper part of the box while O. asellus like to sneak around on the bottom where it's very moist. A. vulgare are usually at the bottom too but don't mind to explore.

I want to keep some others I can keep in similar conditions or even in the same box, any ones you can suggest? Maybe some morphs of ones I already got?
I particulary like large (for their kind) critters, or pretty patterns, or a stunning personality :happy:

Last edited:

arizonablue

Arachnosquire
The Armadillidium maculatum zebra-striped isopods are gorgeous and definitely qualify for pretty patterns! Here's one of mine:

15167540_965528671298_3177354239656191783_o.jpg

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I second the motion for zebra isopods...they're one of my favorites...beautifully patterned, easy to breed...they do seem to like it a bit drier than Porcellio species and need good ventilation.

Giant canyon Porcellio dilatatus is impressively large, and Dalmatian Porcellio scaber is interestingly patterned.

Jacob Ma

Arachnoknight
Philoscia muscorum, or Fast Isopods, live around the same area of the three species you have, but are a tad less adaptive than their neighbors. They are the most interesting in personality in my opinion, as they most closely resemble and behave like their aquatic cousins and wharf roaches. They prefer drier conditions than neighboring species, but are not that much harder to keep than them.

Ghoul

Arachnosquire
Awesome, thank you guys!
Here's a few pictures of the ones I want to still keep!
http://m.imgur.com/a/8cS6T
Porcellio scaber calico and Oniscus asellus in a light brown colour. Also saw a little one that looked very orange compared to the others, thought I'd share that guy too :)