which is worse

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok I was wondering which is worse a P. regalis or a H maculata. I mean which is more potent and which is faster. I seen a nice one at the zoo and it made me want one badly (P. regalis that is)

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I don't think anyone could answer that question with any authority. Both are purported to have hot venom for a T but that's about all you can say. They're both very fast, they're both potentially very defensive.

You would probably see the regalis a bit more than the maculata which are very secretive most of the time which I guess means you could say the H. maculata is "worse" (not that the regalis is showgirl either).

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah my H. mac. I seen for the first three dyas I had it and have only seen a leg or two in the last two months. drives me crazy such a beautiful spider and I never see it.

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
both are speedsters...

I would have to give the maculata the edge in the pain in the butt to control department. They are more prone to not only run but go defensive on you as well. Not that regalis won't haul ass also but once they get some size on them they tend to not be as flighty as the maculata are.

Phil

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
heh...My 1 1/2 inch H. maculata is always out crawling on the walls of the keeper she's in from about 9 til late into the night.

Risto

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Static_69
heh...My 1 1/2 inch H. maculata is always out crawling on the walls of the keeper she's in from about 9 til late into the night.

Risto
not mine he actully made a burrow and is in that during the day then at night is up on the walls but as soon as it sees me it takes off runnin

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
just wait untill it makes itself a nice cozy hide, and never comes back out. thats what mine did. i guess maybe after it molts it will tare down the web and be seen again???

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Mine has a tube web/burrow combo and the only time I see it that I didn't purposely drive it out in the open is occasionally in the early morning right before it ducks away from the evil light I flipped on. When it's getting ready to moult it webs up the openings, but that's the only difference in its behavior. If it didn't shove the skins out politely I'd never know if it had grown or not.

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
Mine has a tube web/burrow combo and the only time I see it that I didn't purposely drive it out in the open is occasionally in the early morning right before it ducks away from the evil light I flipped on. When it's getting ready to moult it webs up the openings, but that's the only difference in its behavior. If it didn't shove the skins out politely I'd never know if it had grown or not.
do these burrow into adult hood?? i thought they where a tree spider most T's i have had as slings burrow but stop when they become sub adults do these do it into adulthood?

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the only reason mine dug in the dirt was to camoflage its web. would that be why yours has a burrow/ tube web? and mine has blocke of the entrances to its web, so should I be expecting a molt soon. I THINK it has quit eating, or at least I havent sen it eat.

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just a tip:

if your "hot" spider makes a web for itself, don't mess with its web unless you absolutely have to.

I've been stung by three spiders in my life. One was suffering convulsions due to an assumed fungal infection, so that doesn't really count. The other two spiders bit me when I was messing with their webs.

The first time that happened, i was about 7 years old. I was climbing a tree, when I noticed a leaf that was folded over. On closer inspecion, the leaf was foled over because it had been webbed up with silk. Since I was interested in bugs at that time, I decided to see what was was hidinbg in that little silk web (I assumed it was a caterpillar). So I opened the web up. A little green spider immediately ran out, bit me on me finger, and jumped out of the tree.

I tell you, I was extremelly pissed off. The bite really didn't hurt at all, but THE BASTARD BLOODY BIT ME! That certainly calls for some sort of revenge ( at least when you're 7 years old). I would've killed the bastard, just to teach it a lesson, if it hadn't jumped oput of the tree first.

Anyway, the second time I was bitten by a spider was when I was screwign with my pet taranrtula's web.

Andwhile two bites isn't really sufficient to draw any conclusions about general behaviour of spiders, I'm still going to say that spiders REALLY hate when you screw with their webs.

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by johnnyjohnjon
just wait untill it makes itself a nice cozy hide, and never comes back out. thats what mine did. i guess maybe after it molts it will tare down the web and be seen again???

my H. maculata has a little tube web type thing going on in a gap between a piece of bark and the wall of his keeper...then again he hides all day and then comes out at night.
But he doesn't get scared that easily I guess.

Risto

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by whoami?
Just a tip:

if your "hot" spider makes a web for itself, don't mess with its web unless you absolutely have to.

I've been stung by three spiders in my life. One was suffering convulsions due to an assumed fungal infection, so that doesn't really count. The other two spiders bit me when I was messing with their webs.

The first time that happened, i was about 7 years old. I was climbing a tree, when I noticed a leaf that was folded over. On closer inspecion, the leaf was foled over because it had been webbed up with silk. Since I was interested in bugs at that time, I decided to see what was was hidinbg in that little silk web (I assumed it was a caterpillar). So I opened the web up. A little green spider immediately ran out, bit me on me finger, and jumped out of the tree.

I tell you, I was extremelly pissed off. The bite really didn't hurt at all, but THE BASTARD BLOODY BIT ME! That certainly calls for some sort of revenge ( at least when you're 7 years old). I would've killed the bastard, just to teach it a lesson, if it hadn't jumped oput of the tree first.

Anyway, the second time I was bitten by a spider was when I was screwign with my pet taranrtula's web.

Andwhile two bites isn't really sufficient to draw any conclusions about general behaviour of spiders, I'm still going to say that spiders REALLY hate when you screw with their webs.
yeah i dont really screw with my spiders webs i dont think they like that much either