Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Which is worse? Scolopendra dehaani or gigantea

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by patrick nimbs, Aug 3, 2019.

1. NYAN

NYAN Arachnoking Active Member

CA
    Advertisement
    I hear this but I see no evidence to support it.

2. Only a single bite report associated with E. rubripes spinosus. My personal theory is the guy who took the bite (mike) had developed an immunity to Scolopendra venom (pede bites didn't seem to bother him much at all, even dehaani) but not Ethmostigmus venom.

3. NYAN

CA
    Exactly. I don’t see this as enough to develop any idea about the venom. There’s no bite report either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. patrick nimbs

patrick nimbs Arachnosquire Active Member

Are bites from scolopendra hardwickei extremely painful?

5. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnoprince Old Timer

Of the topic, but painlevel and venom strenght ate not always the same thing. I am not talking about centipede venom now, just wanted to point that out

6. Vanisher

Hello, i am rather noob when it comes to centipedes, but are there any NW centipede with strong venom?

7. BobBarley

BobBarley Arachnoprince

In general, (compared to OW sp.), no

However, there are introduced populations of Scolopendra subspinipes to the Americas.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Scoly

Scoly Arachnobaron Active Member

It depends... It's easy to get sucked up into thinking that because the bites from Asian centipedes are said to be so bad, that bites from other centipedes are "mild", but that's flawed/dangerous thinking.

People have reported very painful experiences from being bitten by S. heros, S. alternans, even S. polymorpha. Just this week someone posted a bite report on the Scolopendra Legion Facebook group from an African Ethmostigmus trigonopodus (which people believe to be a mild venom species) as follows "For the pain, on a scale of 10, I would give it a 7. Fingertips to below shoulder is hurting, chest lil burning sensation and lips swollen too."

And then there's NYAN's tale here: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/south-american-giants-a-word-of-caution-about-their-venom.319020/
    which compares the bite from a SA giant as being on par with a S.hainanum.

My advice would be not to expect mild bites from any Scolopendrid :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Scoly

They are said to be really bad yes. Children got to hospital from the pain. Interestingly the male and female have different venom composition.

10. Vanisher

Aha! What is that sp robusta orginates from?

11. patrick nimbs

Any centipede of the order scolopendromorpha (scolopendrids) can bite deeply into the skin and cause pain that can feel as though the bite is being burned alive (in other words the pain can get to an intensity that it just Sears like nobody’s business!!!). And on top of that, scolopendrids particularly large specimens from geniuses such as ethmostigmus, scolopendra can kill kids and all scolopendrids of any kind are dangerous and have sent people to the hospital. When my ethmostigmus rubripes bit me, I had to go to the base hospital for medical treatment because compresses and ice packs only intensified the pain and I was beginning to get the health problems starting with muscle breakdown then the chills and everything else.

12. NYAN

CA
    Ecuador according to the exporter.

13. patrick nimbs

Can you find robusta spp in the West Indies?

14. NYAN

CA
    Robusta is in Central America

15. Scoly

There are no reported deaths attributed to any Ethmostigmus. The number of deaths attributed to Scolopendra bites is 2 as far as I know, both children bitten on the head. Scolopendromorpha are therefore not considered deadly as a group of animals, and the only prescribed treatment is pain management.

Scolopendra robusta is defined from a single specimen reportedly found in "Mexico, Nuevo León, Monterey" and has never been seen since. The "robusta" which is sold in the hobby hails from Peru, possibly Equador, so definitely not in the West Indies, and it is likely a S.galapagoensis colour form. I have one in the freezer so should really take it out and examine it.

The main Scolopendra species you will find in the West Indies islands, as far as I know, are S. alternans and S. gigantea (plus the introduce species S. supspinipes and S. morsitans).

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Bob Lee

Bob Lee Arachnobaron Active Member

Asian pedes tend to be more venomous, and dehaani is well known for being very very painful.

I wouldn't want to be bitten by either though, giant centipede bites are not fun. :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.