Which Is The Most Dangerous?!

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So...ive read a bit about these two...and havent found a definative answer to my question. which is the more deadly scorpion? the Deathstalker Scorpion (Leiurus quinquestriatus) or... Yellow Fattail Scorpion (Androctonus australis)

i have read that most people agree that the death stalker is the most deadly scorp. in the world. but ive also read the the Yellow Fattail Scorp is the most dangerous and can kill an adult man within 2 hours! so...let the games begin! what are your thoughts/experiences/what have you read/etc./etc.?! :D

Last edited:

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
As far as I have heard, there is no debate. The L. quin's are considered more toxic but the Androctonus either have wider distribution or are found nearer to population centers so they are responsible for more deaths.

Bill

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LQ have the most potent venom but A.A can deliver alot more that with the fact they live closer to humman populations means they are responsible for the most fatalities

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yepp the L.q. has the more toxic venom but doesn't inject much. The A.a. has a less toxic venom but delivers more and tends to sting repeatedly.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just as above said, the amount of venom injected is what makes the 2 species closely comparable but in terms of most deaths I think the Tityus group in south america has claimed the most lives. But if I had to chose I think I'd fear a australius than leirus.

zilch

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just as above said, the amount of venom injected is what makes the 2 species closely comparable but in terms of most deaths I think the Tityus group in south america has claimed the most lives. But if I had to chose I think I'd fear a australius than leirus.
ditto. behaviour-wise, australis is more aggressive than a LQ.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
so...australis is more aggressive than a LQ. in a captive environment, which would be more dangerous to slip up and be stung by?

Deolok

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am curious as to why you would like to know? And as Pandinus said...Just don't get stung!

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
lol if you have any thought that you may "slip up" with these stay away from them both at all costs!! I find my L.d are skittish and just wanna be left alone for the most part.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am curious as to why you would like to know? And as Pandinus said...Just don't get stung!
just a general discussion. not really anything more than personal curiosity and chit-chat, opinion, conversation, etc.

im not planning on getting stung. ha ha! i promise im not going to stick my finger in there and test out everyone's theory.{D

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You should not have them at all really, those should be left for people with five plus years of keeping the more aggressive scorps. The P.imperator does not count for experience since the LQ and other are a way differnt ball game.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I feel 5 years is abit long, I think it comes down to the maturity of the keeper and experience too.

These species ain't for any with an itch for chicken or derring-do. If you can't cope with that than don't bother buying one.

And I haven't heard one sting report in the hobby from either of these beside Scott Stockwell who once reported being stung be a L.q. scorpling. He IIRC said it felt like a single splatter of hot grease.

Only the mature and experienced need apply.

BTW, my A.a. always took off for cover whereas my L.q. always stood their ground (or pretended they were invisible).

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The most dangerous scorpion is the one you are working with. Usually the one in your forceps

jeroenkooijman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The most dangerous scorpion is the one you are working with. Usually the one in your forceps
Great quote, I will remember this one for when people asking me which scorp I'm keeping is the most dangerous. :D

Furthermore, my dear old passed away friend A. australis took of when I only came near it's terra. My Leiurus on the other hand don't, they just stay in place.

But when cornered, the australis shows how agresive they can be. :evil:

On my list, I would say they are equally dangerous. Just don't mess with them, because you will pay the price.