Which is better?

sycjoco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A Emperor scorpion or a Pandinus cavimanus(red claw)?
(i know it is opinion, but i want to hear which you prefer and why)

It would be great if you could share your personal experience and acquired knowledge of each...

Thanks a lot guys

I am considering getting either or both

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Emps are calmer ( for the most part) and if you have a few in a communal set up and there is atleast one of each sex they breed fairly easy.

P cavis are more aggresive and nippy.

It really all depends on what you are looking for cus they both can end up being pet holes and seldom seen.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've had both.

The emp is docile and static, dosen't move much, not seen very often. They would burrow down 5+ inches and that was the extent of it.

The red claws were aggressive, the one ate the other. The victor was always burrowing, I had a 10 gal tank full of tunnels. He was not seen very much either, except late at night (early morning AM) at his entrance waiting for food, when I dropped in prey it would charge it and retreat to the depths to eat it.

I prefer the P imperator (emp) over the P cavimanus (red claw) for the docility and the size of them!

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would say go with the cav, they tend to be more active and on the move.

Will this be your first scorpion ?

-A. Tabor

sycjoco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes, it will be my first scorpion. Do all scorpions require a hide?
I am leaning toward the red claw, but soon after i may also get a emperor. I have also been considering a communal set-up with either the red claw or emperor. Are the cavs even aggressive to their own babies? and partner?
One more Q- A 10 gallon could house how many scorpions comfortably? A 20 gallon?

Again thanks, you guys are really helpful!

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Most scorpions need hides, if you are big into communals like me you might want to look into Centruroides species or B. Jacksoni... both are my favorites in communal setups !

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Are the cavs even aggressive to their own babies? and partner?
One more Q- A 10 gallon could house how many scorpions comfortably? A 20 gallon?

Again thanks, you guys are really helpful!
In my limited experience with P cav. it ate its tank mate.

As far as # of scorps in a tank, the general rule of thumb for an adult emp is 1 per 5 gallons. That said I've kept 1 specimen comfortable in a 2.5 gal, and 5-6 comfortable in a 20 gal long. Just provide 1 more hide than scorp, even though they always seem to end up in the same hide it allows them to find an unoccupied one.

sycjoco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey, well thanks for the info bayushi, tabor and thaedion. I bought a emperor scorpion, but am pretty convinced that the communal setup I am going to start will be off Red claw( P cav.)
Even cavimanus have to breed or they wouldn't exist today, so I am going to attempt to start a communal tank with pure red claws!

Wish me luck and any adive would be wonderful!!!!!