Which is better to own p.met or gbb

Danz Harvey

Arachnopeon
Planning to buy a T but i cant decide which to buy, p. Met or gbb, they're bothe beautiful

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
If you've never had a T before, the GBB is better. I would absolutely avoid the metallica if you're brand new, potent venom, very fast, and they tend to be very light sensitive anyway. Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens is still a very fast Tarantula, but aren't particularly defensive, are great eaters, great webers, and don't require any humidity outside a water dish. Mine is always out and easy to see as well, which is great combined with those excellent colors.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i prefer metallica much more. but in your case thats a bad choice, you have a smithi and a boehmei according to your bio. go for the GBB.

kingstubb

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have both. If you like one that makes great web displays and is out in the open and eats everything in its path, go gbb. If you want a stunning display piece go metallica. It is harder to keep pokies and they are more agressive but if you were to start with one of say metallica or regalis. I've never had an aggressive metallica.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I've never had an aggressive metallica.

I've never had an aggressive tarantula, but I have a lot of defensive ones.

It's not just the defensiveness, which can vary without warning, but also feeding responses, daily maintenance, and cage transfers. Any one of those can result in a unexpected bite. With OW's the consequences of that are more severe.

Danz Harvey

Arachnopeon
I have both. If you like one that makes great web displays and is out in the open and eats everything in its path, go gbb. If you want a stunning display piece go metallica. It is harder to keep pokies and they are more agressive but if you were to start with one of say metallica or regalis. I've never had an aggressive metallica.
Base from your experience how many years is the life span of GBB?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Base from your experience how many years is the life span of GBB?
Impossible to tell with any tarantula, and most arthropods for that matter. If kept warm and fed often, females can mature within three years, males significantly less. If kept cold and sparingly fed, the time can literally double or triple, depending on how aggressive you are with your feeding regiment. Arthropods grow depending on the food availability in their environment, which is a stark difference from mammals. Mammals will at least try to grow despite food availability, whereas most arthropods grow when food is available. This is why we're able to say with high confidence that a schnauzer will live 12-15 years and a tarantula will live 3-30 years.