Which is better Cmbridgae, Regalis or Formosa

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
+1 to P. cambridgei. Both of my P. formosa are incredibly skittish and reclusive. My P. regalis is far better than the formosas with visibility but she still spends a lot of time hiding in her cork tube. Meanwhile, my female P. cambridgei is always out on display on her corkbark and is far less jumpy than my Poecilotheria sp and her other Psalmopoeus relatives.

That, combined with not knowing anything about your experience level with tarantulas, is why I'd recommend the P. cambridgei over the other two. If you can raise up a P. cambridgei, dealing with the regular maintenance, feedings, and rehouses without incident though, you should be able to handle raising up a Poecilotheria no problem. Psalmopoeus species are a fantastic bridge from New Worlds into Old World arboreals.

elportoed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Both are fast when they want to be.
P camb is better if you are new to this, but they don't live as long.
The males usually hook out in less than a year. I had females died on my around 3 years from slings.

P regalis bite can be troublesome, but they are relatively docile. And they are pretty tough, so make it easy to care for. I don't know how long they live, esp the females, I had one as long as 7 years before traded her away.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
The males usually hook out in less than a year. I had females died on my around 3 years from slings.
Yours must have been on hyperspeed then, because between my experience and from what I understand of most others, Psalmopoeus have a similar life expectancy when compared to that of Poecilotheria. I got my male in July of 2018 and I suspect he'll either mature this next molt or the one after, which could still be some time yet since his last molt was at the start of February.

elportoed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep my spiders at room temperature, no heat no ac, coldest would be in the high 40s in winter, and occasional mid 90s in summer, but most of the year they are in the 70-80 range. I'm in Southern California.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I keep my spiders at room temperature, no heat no ac, coldest would be in the high 40s in winter, and occasional mid 90s in summer, but most of the year they are in the 70-80 range. I'm in Southern California.
Interesting that they had such comparatively short lifespans... @cold blood , you've owned/raised several P. cambridgei if I'm not mistaken. Has your experience with their life expectancy been similar to elportoed's?

cold blood

Staff member
Interesting that they had such comparatively short lifespans... @cold blood , you've owned/raised several P. cambridgei if I'm not mistaken. Has your experience with their life expectancy been similar to elportoed's?
Males can mature in under a year for sure, or it can take a year and a half.....MMs don't go on for years either...but still 6-10 months and I am sure longer is possible. Females can also mature in about a year and a half, sometimes less...but females should live 7-10 years....my 6 year old female just dropped a sac last fall.

Cams are on the calmer end, regalis can be much like them as well...but I do get more defensive showings from the regalis than the hordes of cams I've raised.