Which, if any, species do you own that you wouldn't buy again? Why?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
There may be Ts currently in your collection that you're not interested in buying again for a variety of reasons. Examples: it's too boring, too fast, too fragile, too big, too webby, too aggressive, you never see it, it has scary venom, it's a terrible hair kicker, it doesn't look the way you thought it would in person, or in some other way was not what you thought it would be when you bought it.

Let us know if you have any Ts like this, and why you're not interested in another one.

(This is not meant to be a thread of pure negativity and complaining, but something to spark conversation and make you think about what you like and don't like in a tarantula.)

Leila

Arachnobaron
I am still so new to the hobby, so my opinion is not going to be the same as a seasoned keeper. However, in response to your baited question, I'll bite. :happy:

I had not been a huge fan of my A. avic until recently, tbh. She just clings to the side of her enclosure and does little else. I realize that she is probably more active when my vibrations in the room are not making her feel wary.

BUT: this gal is growing on me quickly. She is a vicious cricket catcher. And the glitter incident helps too. :smug::smug::smug::D She is too fabulous not to love now!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Lasiodora parahybana - Skittish as hell, seemingly kicks hairs for fun, their hairs are by far the most irritating I've encountered so far, it's only redeeming features are that it's a trash compactor and brutal towards prey, I wouldn't buy another, I much prefer my L. difficilis (which rarely kicks hairs, doesn't randomly bolt, actually has a little bit of an attitude and is a ravenous murder tank).

Leila

Arachnobaron
i will never buy Lasiodora or b albos, i get enough of them for free. seriously though, i love all my tarantulas.
Lol!!! B. albos are so precious though!!! (You know you wanna buy some of my slings if Zoe's sac is healthy. ;):embarrassed: jk jk. I am simply being playful, hence the 'dislike' of your comment: it is all in jest, friend. Lol)

Last edited:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Lol!!! B. albos are so precious though!!! (You know you wanna buy some of my slings if Zoe's sac is healthy. ;):embarrassed: jk jk. I am simply being playful. Lol)
So far, my B. albo sling is by far the most active and interesting to watch once the lights go down. When it was smaller, it made grand caverns in the vial it was housed in. Now it wanders (and webs) everywhere. It also dragged a pre-killed cricket into its hide to eat it, and then pulled it all the way out the other side as it ate. Likes to eat on the go, I guess.

user 666

Arachnobaron
Yeah, this is more of a general question which could cover lots of different things, and that topic was pretty specific.
I don't know; a lot of the responses seemed to answer your question - they gave reasons to avoid a species.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I have three H gigas that just stay under the dirt. I knew they would burrow, but guess I expected more. i like every tarantula I own, but that's an honest answer. Pet holes are not for me.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I don't know; a lot of the responses seemed to answer your question - they gave reasons to avoid a species.
Pretty sure the OP is just trying to start a conversation. Nothing wrong with that.. The boards have been slow lately.. It's not like he is taking any hot topic off the top of the page or anything.. Lol

ediblepain

Arachnosquire
There is so many Ts I wouldn't own, because I just don't have the skills or experience at this time.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Lasiodora parahybana - Skittish as hell, seemingly kicks hairs for fun, their hairs are by far the most irritating I've encountered so far, it's only redeeming features are that it's a trash compactor and brutal towards prey, I wouldn't buy another, I much prefer my L. difficilis (which rarely kicks hairs, doesn't randomly bolt, actually has a little bit of an attitude and is a ravenous murder tank).

Yeah, mine -who is beginning to reach some size - is terribly skittish. Kicks hairs too, but not up to what I will expect it to if I really have to disturb it. Which I will need to do someday to rehouse it. Mine really bolts in full-bore panic. Accordingly I'm going to plan the rehouse with the best timing possible, namely when the spider is out in the middle of its enclosure and I can easily drop a large deli-cup or perhaps a cut two-litre bottle squarely and safely on her, and I'll have any items in her tank removed a few days prior to the rehouse. I'm not chasing a big, fast hair-kicker all over the tank she is in if I can avoid doing so. I am not looking forward to this re-house and she is going into her lifelong enclosure so I hopefully won't have to repeat the experience.. As soon as I can figure out what I should use. I have seen it suggested that a ten gallon tank is not big enough, but I've heard others say that that is okay. I'd prefer using a ten-gallon in regard to space considerations, but we'll see.

Now after all that, I'll say that I don't regret having her. I don't have any I regret owning, though I become less enchanted if they mature male, as in the case of my E. campestratus. I'm not positive about the gender of any of my spiders, but I have a gut-feeling the LP is female.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I asked what was scary in that post.

Now I'm asking for anything that you don't care for, for whatever reason you want. It could be too big. A pet rock. Too slow growing. Too reclusive. Too hair-flicky. These are not covered in the other topic, but I'm curious to know.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Lol!!! B. albos are so precious though!!! (You know you wanna buy some of my slings if Zoe's sac is healthy. ;):embarrassed: jk jk. I am simply being playful, hence the 'dislike' of your comment: it is all in jest, friend. Lol)
a dislike is never a joke! :punch: :rofl:
i sure would, shes a Nicaraguan, right? but im in CAN.. :confused:

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Lasiodora parahybana. Skittish, boring, terrible hairs, and just not all that nice to look at. I'm a bit resentful of how much space mine needs compared to the payoff of owning it (which there is none for me). Oh and it's a male. Wonderful.

OBT. I'd take one for free but wouldn't buy one. They're just grumpy orange turds.

H. maculata. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too fast and skittish.

Avicularia sp. They just all look very much alike to me, and just kinda sit up in a corner 24/7.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Lasiodora parahybana. Skittish, boring, terrible hairs, and just not all that nice to look at. I'm a bit resentful of how much space mine needs compared to the payoff of owning it (which there is none for me). Oh and it's a male. Wonderful.
Well, if it was a female, you would have to put up with it for a lot longer, right? :)

Out of curiosity, since I have a L. klugi that is likely to reach a similar size, how much space do you give it? Are we talking 10 gallon tank?