• Cricket

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • Mealworm

Votes: 15 15.8%

• Total voters

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Feeder roaches are the gateway drug into the roach keeping hobby. I started with one huge lateralis colony now my whole closet is full of roach enclosures xd
There might be some truth to that. I pulled 5 of what I believe are Madagascar hissing roaches out of this lat colony when I got it and I just can't seem to bring myself to feed them off lol.

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
There might be some truth to that. I pulled 5 of what I believe are Madagascar hissing roaches out of this lat colony when I got it and I just can't seem to bring myself to feed them off lol.
It's a slippery slope next you'll find yourself keeping blaberus sp. Next thing you know, periplaneta americana...ok maybe im projecting just a little

zeeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Do you guys use dermestid beetles and / or the Buffalo beetles as clean-up crew in your bins?

If so, how much has that improved the smell or cleanliness of the roaches, and how do you ensure the clean up crew doesn't over populate and stress the roach colony?

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
Up here in Canada, roaches are a no-go, so I'm limited to meal/super worms or crickets. I prefer the latter because it makes for a more entertaining takedown. Often my Ts will stalk the cricket until close enough... And we're more likely to get a Happy Dance with crickets than worms, so there's another reason for my pick.
We have a very few species that we can get, currently rearing surinams myself and looking to get some Americans next year...
Although if you can somehow keep a cricket colony without physical maneifestion of rage pouring out of your body and flooding the container then I guess there is no reason to switch

Atraxrobustus86

Arachnopeon
I've already commented on this and Red Runners are my go to however, if your like my poor cousin who resides in Florida all importation of roaches of any kind is illegal. He has to use crickets to feed his lizards and only his chameleon really seems to enjoy them. The others eat them begrudgingly and usually have to be coerced.

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
I've already commented on this and Red Runners are my go to however, if your like my poor cousin who resides in Florida all importation of roaches of any kind is illegal. He has to use crickets to feed his lizards and only his chameleon really seems to enjoy them. The others eat them begrudgingly and usually have to be coerced.
They can use B. discoidalis though

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
I haven't heard of them being used as a feeder though. Most bug sellers only offer Dubia Lats and Hissers.
They are used as a feeder im surprised youve never heard of that. They are a little less prolific than dubia but get larger and dont need as much heat

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
Florida have many legal roaches, discoid comes to mind... and probably many others

Atraxrobustus86

Arachnopeon
They are used as a feeder im surprised youve never heard of that. They are a little less prolific than dubia but get larger and dont need as much heat
Hmm surprising that major bug breeders like Rainbow don't offer them. I have never seen them in any of my local pet stores.

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
Hmm surprising that major bug breeders like Rainbow don't offer them. I have never seen them in any of my local pet stores.
Might be because only really used in Florida and Hawaii since dubia are cheaper. Can get discoids from certain websites or off eBay.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Do you guys use dermestid beetles and / or the Buffalo beetles as clean-up crew in your bins?
Nope, when I used to find Dermestidae in tubs of crickets I'd feed the larvae to my slings and kill the beetles, they're not something you particularly want getting loose in your house.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter

If so, how much has that improved the smell or cleanliness of the roaches, and how do you ensure the clean up crew doesn't over populate and stress the roach colony?
I keep a colony of Dermestes maculatus but I wouldn't put them in a roach bin. Them or any other "cleaner" for that matter. In bins with species that lay an ootheca, they'll seriously hinder reproduction.
They can do nothing that infrequent cleanings and tub changes can't do better and you should be doing those anyway.

Ic4ru577

Arachnoknight
I use both dubia and red runner. Adult male dubias are best for large T. Red runners nymphs are great for slings, especially arboreal.

zeeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok, cool thank you. I always appreciate the opinion of the people actually in the trenches. Not people selling the product they're pushing.
How often are you guys cleaning your roach bins to keep the colony healthy and avoid a smell?

Also I read in a thread from here back in 2014 someone was using substrate at the bottom. Any benefit or egg crates and done.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Ok, cool thank you. I always appreciate the opinion of the people actually in the trenches. Not people selling the product they're pushing.
How often are you guys cleaning your roach bins to keep the colony healthy and avoid a smell?

Also I read in a thread from here back in 2014 someone was using substrate at the bottom. Any benefit or egg crates and done.
I pull the eggcrate and put in another bin roughly once every two months or so for large colonies. You'll know when it's time to actually replace harborage. With runners you have to sift for ootheca. With most roaches you can limit any smell by avoiding giving them wet veggies and fruits too often and making sure there's good ventilatioion.
The only roaches I use substrate for are my Surinams.