Which digital camera do you use?

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Maybe a good idea for a sticky: which digital camera do you use.

Post here what you consider your best picture, and tell which camera you used, and maybe other things you did to get that result (lens, post-processing, etc).

I am also curious if your camera can handle UV pictures well. Did you use a special lens to block out UV?

I use a Philips ESP 60, which I bought in the end of 1998 (!). It does 640 x 480 max. Supports macro mode. Is quite sensitive to UV light (I see a lot of blue in the pictures even on a black background).

male C. flavopictus collected at the roof of my house, Xalapa, Veracruz, Mexico

shutter 1/32 s, F 4.00, B 4.00, no flash. I used a 20W halogeen desk lamp as light source.

(BTW I have no idea how it got that nick on the left chela)

Last edited:

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've not tried UV pics yet but i use a Sony DSC-P73

manual settings:
Aperture: f/2.8
ISO: 400
Exposure time: 0.001 s (10/10000) (1/1000)
Focal length: 6.00 (60/10)

i probably should have kicked the exposure time down to 1/500 or less

automatic settings
Aperture: f/2.8
ISO: 100
Exposure time: 0.025 s (10/400) (1/40)
Focal length: 6.00 (60/10)

taken with macro setting on camera
i'm hoping to pick up a dioptic lens here soon to improve the macros

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sony Mavica FD200. There are better cameras out there but this one is very simple to use.

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a Canon Digital Rebel. I am still trying to decide what my best picture is.

I've only tried to take UV pictures once, and since I do not currently own a tripod, I had to use a setting that had a flash on it, which killed the UV effect. I should go out and get a tripod.

I wouldn't call this as my best picture, but it is winning a herp of the month photo contest on one site and (at last check) tied for a POTM contest on another.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/Schlyne/Crested Geckos/swamilickingforbpnet.jpg

Large Version

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/Schlyne/Crested Geckos/swamilicking.jpg

As for scorpion pictures, I don't take very many pictures of my flat rock scorps.

http://www.deviantart.com/view/16327326/

Psoulocybe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I use a Fujifilm Finepix 3800 - 3.2mp, 6X optical, F2.8 - F8.2 (also have 1.5X teleconverter)

F2.8, exp 1/18, with 1.5x teleconverter

I did mute some levels with the green and blue channels a bit to get the warm tones to pop out. I also adjusted the curves to my liking.

Matt

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi!

I use a Konica Minolta Dynax 7D, 28-75/2,8 lens

Matt

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Fuji S 602 w/ a polarized filter on at all times.

My best photo? I can't choose..this is one I'm really proud of though.

Edit: What work I did on this: Close crop from the full resolution pic (Yeah, I take at as high a res as my camera can handle) saturation and contrast tweaking in photoshop, then run through a noise filter (NeatImage is the software I adore for that) and then back through an unsharp mask in photoshop. I HIGHLY reccomend Neatimage for noise reduction, and addition of some interesting artistic effects.

Rest of 'em here: http://www.thebleedingheart.com/gallery.php

Last edited:

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
Psoulocybe said:
I use a Fujifilm Finepix 3800 - 3.2mp, 6X optical, F2.8 - F8.2 (also have 1.5X teleconverter)

F2.8, exp 1/18, with 1.5x teleconverter

I did mute some levels with the green and blue channels a bit to get the warm tones to pop out. I also adjusted the curves to my liking.

I love mine too

Easy to use with enough control for my SLR personality
I do not however have a 1.5x teleconverter.. :(

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Psoulocybe said:
Malkavian, that's a sweet shot...

Why a polarizer all the time?

I got in the habit of keeping a filter on (either UV or polarized) at all times at the beach, kept sand and grit out of my lens; since most of my photography is outdoors I still leave the polarized one on to cut down on any incidental glare and reflections (which I encounter a lot--shiny rocks, glossy plant leaves, water, etc)

I have a handful of other filters I should really learn to use better...my next goal is to get an infrared filter so i can start taking IR photos (google that, they look AWESOME)

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep a polarized filter on my SLR at all times as well...
just been habit since highschool

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm currently looking for a new camera and I can't seem to settle on one particular camera.

I need one that will take good macro shots (I'm looking at SLR-like), but will also take good action shots. My current camera does okay with still shots, but any movement (even in good light) can cause a slight blur.

I've been looking at the Nikon Coolpix 8800. Does anyone have any experience with it?

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is one of my favorite photos. It isn't as good as i would have liked, the focus isn't quite there, but i like the way the overall composition came out.

Taken with an olympus c-5050z

And heres a few more to show what the camera is capable of. I highly recommend this camera, although the later models in the series (c-7070 and the c-8080) are even better.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I shoot with a Sony F717. I have been very pleased with this camera. Here are some of my shots over the years.

JPD

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nikon CP 5700.
Not too bad. Still don't know how to make use of it fully though.

WHOOPS.....STRIKE THAT LAST PHOTO.....

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I have just bought a Fujifilm Finepix E510, 5.2 MP. I quite enjoy it, though I am still getting used to using it.

Here are some of my best macro shots:

Mori