Which Brachy is a "Guatemalan Red Rump" ?

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I saw one today... probable female... and they only called her this. She was awesome... and quite large! Very curious, too.

I tried googling it, and I get conflicting info... B. angustum or B. aur- something or other. Can't recall now. :rolleyes:

Her legs were jet black and her abdomen was bright, fire engine'y RED! Her carapace was just barely iridescent, but really as black as her legs. Beautiful!

I want her!! :D ...but I need to know her latin name.

thanks,
Aminah

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I saw one today... probable female... and they only called her this. She was awesome... and quite large! Very curious, too.

I tried googling it, and I get conflicting info... B. angustum or B. aur- something or other. Can't recall now. :rolleyes:

Her legs were jet black and her abdomen was bright, fire engine'y RED! Her carapace was just barely iridescent, but really as black as her legs. Beautiful!

I want her!! :D ...but I need to know her latin name.

thanks,
Aminah
Brachypelma sabulosum is commonly called the Guatemalen Red Rump.

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I googled that name and the pics I get are not very close. I dunno. Her abdomen was very red, even where she had "bald spots" (she's near a molt or been kickin' some serious hair storms).

I checked on here and can't find much in the way of pics. I found something in Picture ID, but the person is asking for an ID themselves :rolleyes: and they're not sure if it's even a Brachypelma and not an Alphonopelma (spelling?)

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
if you like these look into b.vagans.there almost identicle.mabey even the same species but different regional varients?

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The B. vagans is the closest I've seen to what I saw today, but their abdomens are not red... just the hairs ON the abdomen. I am thinking as you are, though... that it could just be a 'locale' thing.

Just in case I don't find out for sure, are most Brachy's similar in husbandry? I really like this T and I am very impressed with her "personality", so she may become a new resident here soon. :D

What do ya think? Good or bad idea before I know for sure?

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello!

Look here, maybe it would be of a little help to You...
http://tarantulas.tropica.ru/en/evolution/Theraphosinae/Brachypelma
Also, take into the mind that the possibility to get the real B. sabulosum is close to zero and it is not in hobby at all as far as I'm aware.
Enother one very close looking pet-stores "red-rump" is Sericopelma rubronitens in US.
The foto is hardly helps, but at least can separate the choice from the real B. sabulosum.
Good luck.

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks so much! :D Your site is very informative, and was a tremendous help to me.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Actually they are available. I know of a dealer currently selling them, I just don't think they are super common. I don't think I can help much, I don' t know anything about their personality. Assume normal bracy, which means, docile, can be nervous and a hair flicker.

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This girl is nervous and a kicker... in a big way! Funny thing is, she seems to not like the guys at the store, but females are okay as long as they "play nice". I really wanted to handle her, but there just wasn't a suitable place to do it without getting eyes full of hair and a possible bite.

Maybe I'll just bring her home and get to know her here... :rolleyes: She would be my first "big" tarantula... everyone else is still around 2" or under.

brachymad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Most of the Red rumps look nice and are easy to keep. Telling them appart can be very confusing.

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The only time I've seen a "guatemalan red rump" for sale it was listed with the scientific name Brachypelma angustum.

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
spider_fan, that's one of the names that comes up when I google, too.... it just doesn't really look like the T that I saw, so it's more and more confusing.

If I do finally decide to get her, I'll treat her like a B. vagans and see how she does. If I see her health changing in the slightest, then I'll have to reevaluate the situation further and make the changes. I just hate seeing her in that "stupid store" setup... and she's been there FOREVER! (they even knocked her price by 50% or so to make her an easy sell... and she's still there!)

She's very impressive, if not a little intimidating, so I think this is the cause for not being able to sell her. I dunno.

Thanks everyone!! :)

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
No... I would've posted them by now, if I could get some. Pics would make a great difference here. My camera will not cooperate with my new pc anymore... whole 'nuther frustrating issue... and I don't have access to a different camera at the time. I'm working on it, though.

:)

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello!

The picture may helps...
at least as I've told to separate the spider if it's the real B. sabulosum or not...

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
Actually they are available. I know of a dealer currently selling them.......
I purchased a supposed CB sabulosum from a US dealer, and I have doubts that it is any thing other than a vagan-esque looking T fit for living out it's days lonely so as not to continue the possible polution. Seeing as I could send it out(freshly matured male) as a couple different sp., and no one round here would probably know the difference, I'll hold on to him, and assume nothing....
Dealer's lists don't mean available sp......
Of course that doesn't mean you aren't completely right..... Just tossing a couple cents into the thread,
Cheers,
Scott