Which Arboreal?

rbpeake1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My first question is how do i know that my trantula is happy? Also i have been handling him a lot and is that bad?
If they are fed and watered and the room temperature is not too cold, they are happy!

I do not handle mine, figuring they are fun to look at. But I don't think handling is a bad thing as long as the spider shows no signs of physical distress.

LaArana

Arachnopeon
I'm new to this spider business... I was looking up the different species of avicularia through yahoo images: The metallica and A avicularia look very similar to one another, judging by the results. Can someone help me point out the differences? I have a pink toe... A avicularia, I once assumed.

Remigius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
just my 2 cents -

Avics seem to be somewhat fragile, so I'd go with psalmos. They're certainly not handleable, but hardsy, pretty and really fast.

If You want to buy a larger spider - I'd go with avic, though. They should not be that hard to care for at this size, and won't make any attitude problems, since they're suppose to be much calmer than psalmopoeus.

What I've heard about maculatas and stromatopelmas - don't get one. They can be pretty nasty. The advance scheme for arboreals (if there's any) would look sth. like this:

psalmo/avic ---> poe ---> P. murinus ---> H. lividium ---> Stromatopelma/Heterodoscora maculata

Just what my friend told me about the perfect way towards H. mac ;)

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
But how does H. lividum - an obligate burrower - come onto the scene if we're talking about arboreals? Same goes for P. murinus. Semi-arboreal or not, it's not a "classic" arboreal like say Avicularia.

AlexRC

Arachnopeon
Avics are all great "lookers" in my opinion, and usually stay visible most of the time. I think they are great to own right from the start, but even as starter T's, research should always be done on any specific species. I'm currently working on owning all the members of the Avic genus.

Stewjoe

Arachnosquire
Avics are all great "lookers" in my opinion, and usually stay visible most of the time. I think they are great to own right from the start, but even as starter T's, research should always be done on any specific species. I'm currently working on owning all the members of the Avic genus.
We appreciate your input and welcome to the board but FYI the last post was 2 1/2 years ago.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i hear ya there.. i just went with p. regalis as my 1st arboreal. so far so good, been 2 mnths no prob. i dont really plan on handlin her(i hope) ever. in fact none of my ts.. my lp is way too huge and she(confirmed) is way too aggressive.. crazy thing attacked the glass rocks in her waterdish when i was dumpin more water in the other day

vinnymc

Arachnopeon
I would say P.irminia,H.maculata or A.avicularia The first two only if you are okay with speed and H.maculata jumps a lot.