Which Arboreal?

juggernaut

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hi I am not even a day old in the tarantula hobby

what, exactly, is a pokei . i have heard about it before is it a zebra?

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
juggernaut said:
what, exactly, is a pokei . i have heard about it before is it a zebra?
bit of tarantula slang I suppose, Pokie= Poecilotheria or ornamental

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There's a lot of variation in personality but I'd recommend an avic species. I own adult A. metallica, A. purpurea, A. minatrix, A. versicolor and A. aurantiaca. The minatrix tends to hide all the time but the others come out and show themselves. They tended to hide during the day until they were large juveniles but eventually they decided to show themselves most of the time. Other people have reported different behavior, though, so I can't say for sure that you'll see them.

Karen N.

Dreadwraven

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey, why's everyone knocking pokies?

I do realize that they are a bit more 'potent' than some other options, but if it is an arboreal, it is probably a display anyways. My very first Tarantula was an indian ornamental, p. regalis, and I've never had a single problem. Ofcourse, I got a red knee to curb my handling desires, but if you want a beautiful tank with a beautiful, hardy spider, especially one that will make a nice centerpiece, p. regalis won't let you down.

Ofcourse, I can't argue that Avics are a beautiful genus and equally up to the task so I guess I'm just saying don't be put off by the potentsy (where is the spell check) of pokies.

As long as you get a spider, you won't be let down :clap:

Ishkabibble

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I once swore I'd never own a Pokey, now i have 3 of them, the biggest is a mean a** Ornata. Great T's if you don't handle them. I'm addicted to them now, I just hate transferring them. As far as the recommendation of a P. Cambridgei, as a first Arborreal I'd have to say probably not a good idea. The one I have is skittish and fast as heck. I just purchased a H. Incei, great T so far. For a beginner in arborreals, I'd go with any of the poop-shooters known as Avics.

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
wow, I'm sure Zelda is a bit...confused, now....Actually, Zelda is the name of my P irminia....
I have to disagree with suggesting a Psalmopoeus for a first arboreal, as they are really FAST and although some ppl handle them, I wouldn't attempt it. Psalmos IMHO are more the look, don't touch types. My cambridgei is pretty mellow and just moves away if I touch her, but the P irmina....teleporting queen...and will go into a threat pose at the slightest touch. Both are beautiful, so if thats what you want, then by all means go for it.
Avics are awsome. Although they can be skittish...like if hold one it can suddenly dart, especially if your breath dares to pass your nostrils... they are docile. I have never seen a threat but they can spin around quickly at a slight touch. I thinks that is mostly when they are waiting for their prey to tickle them. Check out some of the Avic species. A avicularia and A metallica are probably the least expensive. Others are more unique looking but are also more costly. My personal suggestion...go for an adult A avic or A metallica.
BTW only one of my A avics makes tube webs. The others just seal up the space between the cork and the glass. My P cambridgei has made an interesting structure with peat and silk. P irmina barely webs at all.
Good luck Zelda...

juggernaut

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You definatly need an S. calceatum, even though there dangeous

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Gonna vote P. irminia on this one. Attractive, feisty and they grow quick.

Jasonic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
juggernaut said:

for a first arobreal I would go with one thats less medically significant, as far as their potential to deliver a bad bite. Avics are great, and nothings cooler than a juv. versicolor:)

A.Versicolor = most bang for the buck IMHO. Blue and sweet. Better get your camera ready.

-j

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
?

how large is this glass tank you are getting? your description is vague but gives me the impression it would be quite large for a single a avic. perhaps numerous could live there. or you could do what ive been thinking about doing with my large tank, install dividers and have a few set ups in one tank. just make sure the dividers are nice and secure.

DanHalen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok. It's not for beginners, Good luck finding one, and even more luck on the second mortgage you'll have to take out to buy it! :eek:

But just imagine having a beautiful P.Metallica on display in a classy new tank in your lounge! :drool: :drool: :drool:

big_loader

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
DanHalen said:
But just imagine having a beautiful P.Metallica on display in a classy new tank in your lounge! :drool: :drool: :drool:
Seconded, or perhaps even an A.Versicolor and one of those nice Exo-Terra vivariums!!

moche87

Arachnopeon
Hi, i just activated my account and i have recently gotten a aboreal, not sure of the techinical name but Moche (his name) is almost a violet and red. My first question is how do i know that my trantula is happy? Also i have been handling him a lot and is that bad?

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi, i just activated my account and i have recently gotten a aboreal, not sure of the techinical name but Moche (his name) is almost a violet and red. My first question is how do i know that my trantula is happy? Also i have been handling him a lot and is that bad?
You resurrected a two year old thread for THIS?

Your tarantula is happy when it is busy doing absolutely nothing and you aren't harassing it. It doesn't like you and it never will. :)

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A. versicolor, they're a little more than A. avicularia, but if you get it as a sling you get a fun new color with every molt.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My suggestion would be either an A. avic, or an A. versicolor. I have a purprea as well, but he has a bit of an attitude. You really can't go wrong with any avicularia. Look at websites and find something you like the look of. There are some differences in appearance.

8legs2shave

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I got a tiny versi in mid 05 and it has been great watching grow, molt etc. It's def my favorite spider.;)

liquidbike

Arachnopeon
versicolor

I've got a little spidering, about two months old now. Haven't seen him eat in two weeks now, is this normal?
Just hides out in his killer web.
Will he come out and search for food or just patiently wait for weeks for something to get in front of his web?

rbpeake1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've got a little spidering, about two months old now. Haven't seen him eat in two weeks now, is this normal?
Just hides out in his killer web.
Will he come out and search for food or just patiently wait for weeks for something to get in front of his web?
He is probably in pre-molt, where food is of no interest whatsoever! When he is hungry he will come out to hunt! Just be sure you use size-appropriate crickets, not too large, and keep them out of the cage if he does not eat them. I lost one spiderling to a cricket that decided to eat the spider while he was molting!:wall:

spiderlord_24_7

Arachnopeon
i agree avic's suck. my sugestion is a p.regalis! easy to care for, look cool, get huge, and fairly cheap! you cant go wronge!