Which Arboreal?

Zelda

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the suggestions :)
Not decided which one to get yet though.. An avic is looking like a good choice at the moment.. Trouble is I like the p.irminia too much now and its making it tough !

xelda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Why not get both? You'll probably end up buying the other one eventually anyway. ;)

By the way, I own 9 Avicularia (including A. avic, A. purpurea, A. versicolor, and A. minatrix). They're a very hearty bunch. They do make some heavy webs, I can still see them pretty nicely since the webbing is tubular. The purpurea are more likely to spaz out than the rest, but overall, they're pretty chill.

CreepyCrawly

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What a tough choice!

Isn't getting a new T fun?!

I've had both A. avic and currently have a P. irminia. I, personally, love my suntiger! The avics were slower, but neither of them what I'd consider handlable. I recently got my suntiger (a few weeks ago now) and think it's just too awesome. I think most arboreals tend to web, both my P. irminia and my female A. avic have created very interesting webs, and tend to hide a lot. My male A. avic only webbed sporadically, and was always out and about - until he died after his maturing molt. I won't purchase another A. avic, although I will admit that I am tempted to try out an A. versicolor, as I've been in love with their looks (be it however rare I get to see it). I rarely get to see my P. irminia, but when I do get to see her, it's well worth it!

I've read that they're not beginner spiders, but mine at least is more skittish than anything. She hides most of the time, and even when I'm messing around in her cage she doesn't come out and engage me. I guess they're classified as non-beginner is because they're fast... but I wish I'd gotten mine A LOT sooner.

RazorRipley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Zelda said:
Hi,

I will be receiving a large tall glass tank very soon and i'm interested in putting an arboreal tarantula in there..
What would be the best choice for a first arboreal species? I never owned one before and dont know the ins and outs of them yet, so any suggestions off you guys and gals would be much appreciated :)
Personally, if I had to pick one aboreal, Id put a Poecilotheria formosa in there, nice purple on it.. always an ice breaker at parties.

Zelda

Arachnopeon
Again, thanks for the replies :)

Whats the opinion on h.maculata?
They look amazing... Although the temperament looks a bit on the dodgy side..
I will be using the hands off approach with the T so aggression shouldn't reallly be a major problem.

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Zelda said:

I will be using the hands off approach with the T so aggression shouldn't reallly be a major problem.
Get a load of experience with other quick NW arboreals first. The H mac sling is truly the fastest arboreal I own. I'd have to say it's faster than my P. formosa at the moment...I've also been told that the Pokie won't be as inclinded to take off as it gets larger, but the H mac doesn't change at all. And of course, the bite is not something to be taken lightly.

If you want to move up to something a little quicker than an Avic, with a different style of beauty than an Avic, pick one of the Psalmopoeus speices.

Honestly, if I were to rank arboreals in terms of speed and ease of care (These are the ones I have experience with)

Avicularia
Iridopelma
Psalmopoeus
Poecilotheria
Heteroscodra

I'd put the Stromatopelma after the Heteroscodra, and I have no idea where I would put Tapinauchenius, since they're pretty much the fastest T's out there. I have no idea where Cyriopagopus fits into that list either, other than being OW.

Stay away from african OW arboreals for a while at least.

Last edited:

harrymaculata

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Zelda said:

i am getting one on saturday, it depends with these from what ive herd the normally will much rather run than bite but obviously if ya piss it off it won't take no prisoners and there fast. but you said it "they look amazing". i take the hands off approach will most t's because i belive they live longer and it is'nt natural to them so if you stick to that and use transfering methods like these o this site http://homepage.ntlworld.com/the.tarantula.store/howto-rehouse.htm there shouldn't be a problem

Rob1985

This user has no status.
My first arboreal T was a P.ornata sling. Even though everyone said I was crazy for getting a Pokie as my first, I figured it is a sling and I will get used to the speed as it gets bigger!!! Although for someone who doesn't wanna take risks like I like to do, go with an adult A.avic.. They are very pretty and are soo docile. Mine is a sweeheart. Although crawly, keep a look out if you decide to handle it. They like to take leap off of your hand onto something!!! :D

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
go for the a. huriana. (check my avatar) they get big and wooly and are docile. so far mine has been great and no problems. they also have some great colors. i also have an avic avic which is good but hands down the huriana if i had to choose.

rbpeake1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Don't They Hide?

tmanjim said:
go for the a. huriana. (check my avatar) they get big and wooly and are docile. so far mine has been great and no problems. they also have some great colors. i also have an avic avic which is good but hands down the huriana if i had to choose.
I have an A. Versicolor, but I never see it because it is in its tube web at the top of the cage all of the time! :(

Do you see your A. huriana?

I had been considering one of these, but wanted a spider I would see more often.

Thanks!

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
A huriana are great T's, i purchased a female from SSW about a month ago and its doing great although it does construct the common tub webs and stays inside it about 90% of the time. she will come out to eat and drink when i mist but thats about it. my opinion would be to get one like already mentioned they are one of the largest avics and get really really hairy here is one of the best pics i have ever seen of one....>>>>CLICK HERE<<<<<<< scroll down to the second set of pics pposted by phillip.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
It seems everyone has ignored (or is that neglected) a great little family of arboreals: Holothele. I would suggest a Holothele incei (adorable little green arboreal species). They are hardy, eat a lot, but may be on the fast side. My A. avic's are faster than my H. maculata was at the same size. So speed is definity dependent on your perceptions.

Mori

Mr Ed

Arachnobaron
If your tank is big enough, I've seen people having multiple Avics together.

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I recommend Avicularia avicularia (Guyana Pinktoe) This species is very hardy and docile. I've had two and they are very gentle. I also suggest a tall tank for they love to climb. I personally have my tank on it's side so its taller than longer. Also if you're planning on keeping aboreals be sure to keep the substrait moist but not wet because they like it a little humid 75% to 80%

Rob1985

This user has no status.
stonemantis said:
I recommend Avicularia avicularia (Guyana Pinktoe) This species is very hardy and docile. I've had two and they are very gentle. I also suggest a tall tank for they love to climb. I personally have my tank on it's side so its taller than longer. Also if you're planning on keeping aboreals be sure to keep the substrait moist but not wet because they like it a little humid 75% to 80%
The Avic.avic is the one avic that needs the most humidity. My tank is a one of those rubbermaid plastic cereal containers!!! I keep my substrate on the drier side. I don't want to inhibate the growth of mold. I just have a full water dish and I mist everyday!!! Yes Avic. has been known to be communal. I wouldn't keep em' communal, but to each thier own :D

Jasonic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've been keeping arboreals of all types over these many years. Avic, Psalmopoeus, Tappies, Pokies, and Iridopelma sp. My first T was an undescribed Avic sp. Flightiness is the biggest issues with arboreals because of the posibility of escape during feeding/cleaning/chaging enclosures (don't get me started with the caviots here), out the top, and up your wall/ceiling/arm/face. In fact they will often make their homes close to the top of your enclosure, further complicating things. I would say, delve into it all in the following order for best results.....

1. Overdo the ventilation. Pepper the lid of your enclosure with holes, add in side holes for cross ventilation.

2. Forget everthing you've read about high humidity, you'll brees mites, and mold, and kill the T (just make sure to have a good sized water dish, and keep it clean)

2a. Buy a nice set of long tongs.

3.Get an Avic sp. Preferably A.Avic A.Versicolor (more ventelation here) or A.Metalica. They are less likely to bolt than most other Arboreals. And don't like to taste their keepers very often.

3a. Refrain from getting a more advanced species till you learn the arboreal game. Read: Transplant a specimen or two from enclosure to enclosure.

4. After you get your chops down, get hooked like the rest of us arboreal nuts, and get into the others:)....ohhhh yeah baby :D

my 2 cents,

-j

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The Juice said:
Unless you can afford some of the more $$$ Avics, I would say get a P.Irminia or a P.Cambridgei. The P.Irminia was my First Arboreal and although fast I have never had a problem.
My thoughts exactly ;)

bagheera

ArachnoTiger
Old Timer
I have kept many terrestrial T's over the years. I have stayed away from aboreals on the grounds that all I ever saw of them was silk. I also am under the impression that they are less tolerant of moisture variation. Over the years I have gone 'in' and 'out' of collections. I have usually had 1 spider however. Generally speaking, a NW ground spider is easier to care for than a houseplant (I have managed to kill every single plant I have ever had, with the lone exception of 'the jade that wouldn't die"). Damp enclosures are breed a lot of work for the keeper! :(

SO...... what genus is most environmentally tolerant AND visible frequently? I am looking hard at P. fasciata or ornata....... [but saying there really are enough spiders around....]

Jasonic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Get an A.Avic.
You'll see her/it alot:)
Lots of T's spend time in their burrows regardless.

Your moisture variation impression is a widely distributed spot of missinformation imho. I believe becuase they live in a tree, its less moist, and more windy up there:) This is one reason why alot people have less luck with some Avic babys IMHO.

"I can't keep a baby Versicolor alive"....you've probably heard this one too.

Keep em dry, well ventilated and don't believe the hype...lol;)

-j

ps: You may want to make sure to raise humidity around molt time with the juveniles and slings however.

Last edited: