Which Among These T is Good for Preferences?

sweetmisery

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I already am ordering the ones I said last week - B. smithi, emilia, klaasi, auratum and beohmi... Just wondering since Im not really an expert with most of the species, if there is another good species in the list...

I want something like the Brachys - docile(able to handle it is cool), colorful(or atleast got some unique colors if not totally colorful like the klaasi, auratum), hardy, and not too skittish/fast and of course, not more venomous like the brachys(just an itch or two will do... lol).

If its not in the list, just tell me, I will try to order..

Acanthoscurria natalensis
Aphonopelma anax
Aphonopelma bicoloratum
Aphonopelma pallidum
Brachypelma albiceps (ruhnaui)
Brachypelma angustum
Brachypelma annitha
Caratogyros darling
Citharacanthus livingstoni
Citharischius crawshayi
Cyriocosmus elegans
Eupalaestrus campestratus
Eupalaestrus weijenberghi
Grammostola formosa
Heteroscodra maculata
Phormictopus atrichromatus
Phormictopus platus
Poecilotheria Formosa
Poecilotheria ornata
Psalmopoeus irminia
Psalmopoeus pulcher
Stromatopelma calceata

THANKS!

sweetmisery

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah thats why I need your help to pick out which ones are ok. I did some research but most are just basics, not to say the list is long.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Based on your wants I'd say toss everything and keep only the Brachys that you don't have. Unless you're not gonna handle some, then get the pokies.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I already am ordering the ones I said last week - B. smithi, emilia, klaasi, auratum and beohmi... Just wondering since Im not really an expert with most of the species, if there is another good species in the list...

I want something like the Brachys - docile(able to handle it is cool), colorful(or atleast got some unique colors if not totally colorful like the klaasi, auratum), hardy, and not too skittish/fast and of course, not more venomous like the brachys(just an itch or two will do... lol).

If its not in the list, just tell me, I will try to order..
Aphonopelma anax is generally docile, weak venom (to humans) and not too fast. They get jet black legs and abdomen, a grey / tan carapace after a molt that will slowly fade to a tan carapace and not quite so black legs. if you feed less and winter them by cooling and not feeding for a while they may even get all tan before a molt. BUT they miss the colorful mark. you can search posts by me and see my anax in there also a breeding report shows the nasty

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Eupalaestrus Campestratus - Pink Zebra Beauty is one of the best "pet" tarantulas you can find. They are usually docile, handleable and don't do much hair kicking.

sweetmisery

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Eupalaestrus Campestratus - Pink Zebra Beauty is one of the best "pet" tarantulas you can find. They are usually docile, handleable and don't do much hair kicking.
Is the venom weak too?

And thanks guys. The A. Anax is tempting too.

pedipalps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Aphonopelma bicoloratum and Brachypelma albiceps are also a good choice.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Grammastola pulchra. Dark black, they look mean, but are very docile. In addition, since you're probably getting all slings : throw in a large rose hair. ( G. rosea ) They are really cheap ! This way you'll have something large as a show piece since it'll be a years before ANY of the slings you've picked out will be large.

sweetmisery

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
^^ I already got a Rosea... 1 1/2 "... lol. For now my bearded dragons/iguana/sugar glider will be the specatcle til they grow. lol

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Acanthoscurria natalensis
Aphonopelma anax
Aphonopelma bicoloratum
Aphonopelma pallidum
Brachypelma albiceps (ruhnaui)
Brachypelma angustum
Brachypelma annitha
Cyriocosmus elegans
Eupalaestrus campestratus
Grammostola formosa
Psalmopoeus irminia
Psalmopoeus pulcher
Any of the species I left in type will be OK. Psalmopoeus venom isn't that hot, but they're still not handling spiders. Same with Acanthoscurria.

In the stickies, you will find all the information you could ever want on beginner spiders.

The one titled Read before posting is the one you should look in.

jen650s

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd suggest that any of the Aphonopelmas or Grammastolas are going to be similar in temperment and husbandry to the Brachys and that you go with anything you like the looks of. I have also found my Chromatapelma cyanopubescens to be somewhat similar in temperment and husbandry, beautiful to look at and fun to watch since they love to web everything and are always out in sight. But, boy are they fast moving, I have only had 1 incident-one ran up my arm, down my back and under the desk almost before I could move. However, once I recovered from my shock she was easy to recover.

I have a lot of the same requirements and really hesitated to go with an arboreal because my dogs are only interested in Ts when they climb. I did end up with an Avicularia versicolor and love it. While I wouldn't handle it it does make a great display T.

sweetmisery

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks a lot for the help guys. Ill make my decision soon or maybe just stick with the brachys I ordered. I can only get 5 cuz I need money for other things.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
When deciding what to get next i narrow it down thusly:

1. How much effort do i want to put into their care? So i make a list of t's with the keeping requirements i'm prepared to meet. (Dry/moist/temperature, etc)

2. What temperament/ behavior am i looking for (mean arboreal/sweety arboreal/calm burrower/feisty burrower/etc) then i narrow the list again.

3. Finally we get to physical attributes, looks, size etc. i make my final choice on the looks and the size(age) of what's available and in my price range.

Basically what i'm doing is putting the needs and welfare of the t first then being realistic with myself about the care i'm prepared to give. Then the looks/size thing is purely for me so it comes last.

Now that i've learned some about t's it's a little easier. I can say "i want a pokey" or "i want an aphonopelma" because i know from reading what they're like. Good luck sweetmisery, i'm sure you'll love whatever you decide to get!

sweetmisery

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Eupalaestrus Campestratus is very cool indeed. Its pink so my gf likes it too. lol

Problem is which brachy should I cut? Im getting smithi, emilia, boehmi, klaasi and auratum(last 2 I cant let go).

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
If it were me, I'd cut the B. smithi. You're getting a B. auratum, which you said you can't cut from your list, and in looks they're pretty similar. Not to mention everyone and their brother has a B. smithi. :p

Or if you don't really want a spider you can't handle, maybe the B. boehmei isn't such a hot prospect. Mine is skittish when I'm doing things in its enclosure, so I can't really imagine trying to handle it, not that I want to anyway. The only things it really has going for it in your list of requirements is that it makes a great display T and has awesome color.

The only other prospect I would consider eliminating would be the B. emilia. While they are seemingly harder to get ahold of here in the states and from some things reported to be more docile, I personally think their coloration is a bit bland considering their relatives' brighter color schemes. Maybe me never having seen one in person is something to consider, either that or the many many pics of them I have seen are just bad pics. ;)

I know from your other thread you wanted the B. klaasi due to its pink coloration, again, from the many pics I've seen calling it pink really is misleading to me, as I don't see much pink on it. So why the need for 2 "pinkish" spiders? So if you really like the other Brachy's more than the B. klaasi and want to get the E. campestratus, you still end up with a pinkish spider.

sweetmisery

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, my girl and I each scored the 5 smithis from 1 to 10. Then added our scores. The lowest is the emilia. LOL. Yeah seems kinda bland in all pics Ive seen. I want to get rid of it, but just as you said, the smithi is more common. Now Im confused.

Boehmi is colorful, I dont care if I cant handle it, its a good decoration-pet.

The klaasi, I like it cuz its rare, and I dont mind getting 2 pinks... my girl love the color pink, that every pink reminds me of her. lol

So its smithi vs. emilia. Smithi cuz its common but then again its a classic. Emilia cuz its bland but then its a bit rare.