Where to keep them? Help

pinkvil

Arachnopeon
I just got my first ever Tarantula yesterday. I live in a tiny studio-like house with one main space and a bathroom. I have decided to put her enclosure in a shelf in my bathroom because it is the only “room” in my house where I can close the door and give her a space heater. I like my own space rather chilly so that’s no good for them. Is having them in a bathroom ok? Yes, no, and most importantly, why? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

maddog1219

Arachnosquire
What’s the temp of the rest of your house? Bec chilly can vary from person to person

maddog1219

Arachnosquire
60 degrees and can sometimes get as low as 50something...
Yea I mean that’s too cold for them but if a bathroom is all you got then that’s all you got lol. No problem as long as the temp and humidity is right. I would aim for no lower than 68f

pinkvil

Arachnopeon
Yea I mean that’s too cold for them but if a bathroom is all you got then that’s all you got lol. No problem as long as the temp and humidity is right. I would aim for no lower than 68f
My bathroom has an automatic dehumidifier that turns on when it detects humidity and sucks the air out, which means there is air circulation in there. I guess my main concern regarding bathroom is that the bathroom needs to be cleaned often. I'm thinking about using only non-chemical cleaners for that purpose.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
The problem with bathrooms is that it contains things and substances that tarantulas cannot tolerate well against. chemical substances is already bad already, but if there is any spray, perfume, or substances that can affect the atmosphere with chemicals then it would be lethal to tarantulas. It's not recommended to keep them in the bathroom, so I would search for an alternative. Maybe a heat shelf? I know some people do those with success, but I'm not one of them so maybe someone else can chime in.

pinkvil

Arachnopeon
The problem with bathrooms is that it contains things and substances that tarantulas cannot tolerate well against. chemical substances is already bad already, but if there is any spray, perfume, or substances that can affect the atmosphere with chemicals then it would be lethal to tarantulas. It's not recommended to keep them in the bathroom, so I would search for an alternative. Maybe a heat shelf? I know some people do those with success, but I'm not one of them so maybe someone else can chime in.
if that is the biggest problem, I don't use chemicals because I'm allergic to everything. I only clean with natural products that are chemical free, same goes for the rest of the house. I don't use perfumes or anything that comes in spray form. I get crazy sneezing from smells or fumes haha. Having said so, is there another problem with the bathroom setting or is that the main issue?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
if that is the biggest problem, I don't use chemicals because I'm allergic to everything. I only clean with natural products that are chemical free, same goes for the rest of the house. I don't use perfumes or anything that comes in spray form. I get crazy sneezing from smells or fumes haha. Having said so, is there another problem with the bathroom setting or is that the main issue?
Well, that's all I could think of to look out for. But I'm not making claims that it's completely fine as someone else may have other concerns. So I would like to hear what other people might have to say, since there are probably more knowledgeable people on this kind of topic than I am.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
if you have the humidity under control and run chem free as you say it shouldn't be an issue. Maybe shower with the door open a bit.

BTW what kind of T did you get? If you can find an A Eutylenum or A steindachneri and set them up right they can survive in your house without any thermal. They are local and can handle our (SoCal) Temps

pinkvil

Arachnopeon
BTW what kind of T did you get? If you can find an A Eutylenum or A steindachneri and set them up right they can survive in your house without any thermal. They are local and can handle our (SoCal) Temps
I got Grammastola Pulchra... Brazilian T so I'm guessing they love the heat.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Should be fine since you avoid scents and harsh cleaning agents. Unless you’re taking super hot showers for long periods of time I personally wouldn’t worry. What’s the average temp in your bathroom?

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Fun fact of the day!! After you go number 2 and flush the toilet number 2 particles are thrown around in a 3 foot diameter. Basically your enclosure is going to be covered in number 2 particles, not cool. I wouldn't want my tarantula or enclosure covered in dookie particles but that's just me.

pinkvil

Arachnopeon
Should be fine since you avoid scents and harsh cleaning agents. Unless you’re taking super hot showers for long periods of time I personally wouldn’t worry. What’s the average temp in your bathroom?
I have a wall space heater and keep it at 75 F

Fun fact of the day!! After you go number 2 and flush the toilet number 2 particles are thrown around in a 3 foot diameter. Basically your enclosure is going to be covered in number 2 particles, not cool. I wouldn't want my tarantula or enclosure covered in dookie particles but that's just me.
I’ve known that since I was a kid I never flush a toilet with the lid up

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I just got my first ever Tarantula yesterday. I live in a tiny studio-like house with one main space and a bathroom. I have decided to put her enclosure in a shelf in my bathroom because it is the only “room” in my house where I can close the door and give her a space heater. I like my own space rather chilly so that’s no good for them. Is having them in a bathroom ok? Yes, no, and most importantly, why? Thank you in advance.
Congrats on your first T 🙂
I have the same situation as you. Winter time I move my tarantulas to the bathroom where I can attain the appropriate temperatures. I've been doing this for quite some time and works out perfect.

Regarding me I do not use aerospray hair products which could pose a problem to my T's. Also when it's time to clean the bathroom I move them out for a day or so. This arrangement has worked out perfectly. I do not use any products that would put them at risk. My tarantulas are very healthy, never had any parasites, mites or mold in their enclosures.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Natural products are safe for humans, they are not tested against Ts- good luck with that.

Given the things I read so far I would not have purchased a T if I was you.

pinkvil

Arachnopeon
Natural products are safe for humans, they are not tested against Ts- good luck with that.

I am curious, a lot of people keep them in their bedrooms, living rooms, etc. All houses get cleaned. I would not believe if I heard someone say that their house doesn't get cleaned. I'm sure that somehow they manage.

Also, I'm sure you know a lot more than I do, but after asking around for quite a while and talking to my friends who have them, and the person who sold it to me, all I kept hearing is "they are a very easy pet to keep, low maintenance, very hardy". No one told me "unless your house has a room that can be strictly designated to them and your house isn't cleaned at any times, then don't think about it". Because that sounds very delicate. I'm trying to do my best given the living condition I have. I live in LA and pay 1300 a month for a 200 square feet apartment. I wish I could do better than this but I lost my job during a pandemic. Been wanting a pet for the longest time because I live alone and I guess I'm a bit disappointed that there is no way I can make it work?

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I have a wall space heater and keep it at 75 F
Sounds like an ideal temp to me.
I am curious, a lot of people keep them in their bedrooms, living rooms, etc. All houses get cleaned. I would not believe if I heard someone say that their house doesn't get cleaned. I'm sure that somehow they manage.
The room mine are kept in has parrots, so absolutely zero chemicals used in it, good ol’ swifter picker upper duster and some hot water on the furniture with glass tops.

When I clean the other parts of the house, especially times I deep clean, I shut the door and open windows. Even if the cleaning agent smell drifts into the room the open window allows to quickly circulate through and I don’t have issues.

CesarGuillen

Arachnopeon
Caring for Ts is amazing, so I don't want to discourage your from doing it. That being said your going to have to do your research on the Ts you get considering your limited space and the low temperatures in your area. I would remove your T when it is time to clean the restroom for a few days and then take them back into the bathroom. There are a lot of factors to consider. Welcome aboard to the T caring club. Happy Thanksgiving.

Polenth

Arachnobaron
For my bedroom, water and manual dirt removal is usually enough. If I was in a position where I had to use the bathroom for animals, I'd go with unscented basic soap for washing me and for cleaning most things. Vinegar for anything that needs something stronger.

A lot of the modern natural products are pretty nifty, in that they break down quickly, so pose little environmental risk. But when they're fresh, they may contain chemicals that are natural pesticides.

Even the lowest maintenance pet can mean making changes. When I got my first cockroach, the family got behind finding alternatives to fly spray and the like. It turns out the alternatives work better anyway and encouraged more wild spiders to move in, but it was a change.