Where to get rotting wood for isopods?

jack90274

Arachnopeon
Hello,

I have no place to find decaying wood near me, so does anyone know where I can buy some?

Thanks

ThatGuy83

Arachnopeon
Yep I found the cheapest bag of those wood pellets at my local Lowe's. It was on
clearence because the bag was broken. Just mix some with water and boom.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Awesome! Should they be specified as organic or are all bags organic?

Awesome! How long should I soak them?
There won't be any labeled as organic. Read in ingredients to make sure there's no chemicals added. Generally speaking they are ONLY wood chips with nothing else added

ThatGuy83

Arachnopeon
If you go to Lowe's or Home Depot in the summer, they have a few different brands and each has an organic variety. You only need to let the pellets soak long enough for all of them to expand. I think i let it soak for a couple hours. I stirred it every so often until its all one big mush that broke apart easily and was the moisture level I was looking for.

Last edited:

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Aspen chips, hardwood firewood are both reasonably cheap options.

jack90274

Arachnopeon
There won't be any labeled as organic. Read in ingredients to make sure there's no chemicals added. Generally speaking they are ONLY wood chips with nothing else added
Alright, thanks a lot!
If you go to Lowe's or Home Depot in the summer, they have a few different brands and each has an organic variety. You only need to let the pellets soak long enough for all of them to expand. I think i let it soak for a couple hours. I stirred it every so often until its all one big mush that broke apart easily and was the moisture level I was looking for.
Ok, thanks for the helpful info!
Aspen chips, hardwood firewood are both reasonably cheap options.
Do you know of a good source for hardwood firewood that organic/natural and if so, which types of wood are best? I do have some aspen shavings (last time I checked) but I don’t have chips. Thanks!

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Do you know of a good source for hardwood firewood that organic/natural and if so, which types of wood are best? I do have some aspen shavings (last time I checked) but I don’t have chips. Thanks!
Likely depends on where you live. Here there is a ton of birch firewood, and its kiln/fire dried prior to being packed up. Can even pull the bark off it and use it if you don't want the whole chunk of wood.

jack90274

Arachnopeon
Likely depends on where you live. Here there is a ton of birch firewood, and its kiln/fire dried prior to being packed up. Can even pull the bark off it and use it if you don't want the whole chunk of wood.
I live in Los Angeles, and there is no safe place I know of to attain pesticide free wood/leaves. So, I have to purchase some. I don't know what's around here if safe at all, but it is mostly pine and palm. I know that the oils in pine aren't good, and I don't know if the palm is organic. Also I believe palm isn't a good source for food for isopods since it takes forever to break down. My grandmother and grandfather own a plot of land about 5 hours away from me and they have pesticide-free oak trees. I won't be there for a while, so, until I do, I need another source of wood and leaves.

jack90274

Arachnopeon
In the forest :troll:

You can bake the wood to sterilize it
I live in Los Angeles and the nearest forest I know of is Yosemite. That's a ten hour drive from here. The rest of parks closer to me, I'm not sure if it's all organic

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
I live in Los Angeles and the nearest forest I know of is Yosemite. That's a ten hour drive from here. The rest of parks closer to me, I'm not sure if it's all organic
Damn, try your local parks maybe?
Living in Canada my closet forest is right out of the door

jack90274

Arachnopeon
People use Southern Palm bark for their Isopods....
I know this and I thought it isn’t really rotting wood so I didn’t think it would be suitable?
Damn, try your local parks maybe?
Living in Canada my closet forest is right out of the door
My local parks are frequently visited by people and gardeners that use chemicals (I think). There is an area where they dump wood chips, but I could never be sure if they spray anti-flammable coats on the chips...