Where to find the most up to date solifugae care info?

NepenthesFriend

Arachnopeon
The local reptile shop has a solifugae for sale, I was reading a bit of the "Solifugae live longer than we thought" thread but I was wondering if anyone has a more concise up to date care sheet for them (or just info in a more concise form) including the info found in that thread. I'll be looking over the thread more in the meantime I'm just looking for info on what kind of sub they like, what size enclosure they need and any other info that may be useful. I'm also gonna probably go see the solifugae in person I'll take pics!

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Small enclosure with some sand/clay mix. Keep at room temps nd do not overfeed. What species is it?

NepenthesFriend

Arachnopeon
Small enclosure with some sand/clay mix. Keep at room temps nd do not overfeed. What species is it?
Dunno, gonna go today and grab a pic and see if the fine people on this forum can help ID it

Edit: went to see the little fella, here's a pic of him. The shop keeper bought her at an expo because she was cool. He didn't know the exact scientific name but said it was "an Egyptian one" very hairy
20191126_103724.jpg

Last edited:

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Paragaleodes so, not sure which one. I have P. Pallidus. This one looks really fat so it probably doesnmt need any food so it will most likely not eat but it might. I have mine in small 2 oz deli cups with some sand and they seem to be ok, they’re quite sluggish so I suspect that they’re in a diapause of some sort. Neither have eaten in 2 months and they do have a lot of fat reserves so I suspect that they won’t be eating anytime soon.

NepenthesFriend

Arachnopeon
Paragaleodes so, not sure which one. I have P. Pallidus. This one looks really fat so it probably doesnmt need any food so it will most likely not eat but it might. I have mine in small 2 oz deli cups with some sand and they seem to be ok, they’re quite sluggish so I suspect that they’re in a diapause of some sort. Neither have eaten in 2 months and they do have a lot of fat reserves so I suspect that they won’t be eating anytime soon.
They already had a cricket in with her (going to assume it's a female I dunno I'd have to see a comparison between a male and female to tell) so I think they're feeding her a little too much, just judging by her massive abdomen.I'm gonna get her a critter keeper with some good substrate for burrowing, I know a deli cup would suffice but I'd rather have her in something larger to display her better (gonna block off the sides and back of it with black construction paper to make her feel more secure too) What sub do you like to use for yours? I can order her some, I read that a mixture of loam and sand is typically good of these guys

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
The sand loam mix would work. I would highly recommend a smaller container but a kritter keeper would work. Keep in mind that in the wild these are primarily burrowers and spend most of their time underground in tunnels or chambers. In fact, I kept mine on reptisoil and they would just seal themselves off until I had to remove them because of mycosis. I would say that that could work but these are definitely not display animals. If you ever notice that she’s running around excessively or seems stressed, move her into a smaller container asap.

NepenthesFriend

Arachnopeon
The sand loam mix would work. I would highly recommend a smaller container but a kritter keeper would work. Keep in mind that in the wild these are primarily burrowers and spend most of their time underground in tunnels or chambers. In fact, I kept mine on reptisoil and they would just seal themselves off until I had to remove them because of mycosis. I would say that that could work but these are definitely not display animals. If you ever notice that she’s running around excessively or seems stressed, move her into a smaller container asap.
Ok, I'll be certain to get one of the smallest critter keepers I can find and I'll hang onto the deli cup in case it gets antsy and upset.
Edit: additionally what type of sand would you recommend?

Last edited: