Where to find Dysdera crocata?

Bunyan van Asten

Arachnoknight
My younger brother recently told me he wantend to have a pet tarantula, but he wants to start out boy a dysdera crocata specifically. Although we can find in the area, we never come across any of them, could anyone tell me where I would have the best chce of finding one?
Thanks in advance!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Although we can find in the area, we never come across any of them, could anyone tell me where I would have the best chce of finding one?
"This species is found chiefly in urban gardens, fields, and forests. This includes under stones, logs, and in cellars in relatively moist, warm places." --Spiders.us

RepugnantOoze

Arachnosquire
Why do you have to buy online? Live in a big city? If its weather you're worried about I found one of these in the low 30s so it may still be possible. Best part about true spiders is catching em.

Bunyan van Asten

Arachnoknight
Why do you have to buy online? Live in a big city? If its weather you're worried about I found one of these in the low 30s so it may still be possible. Best part about true spiders is catching em.
Yeah, I know, but i have a really small garden with hardly ANY soil, but enough isobods to feed a city. And I never find anything but those, that may be because the weather hasn't been working, but I really hope I can find one. A gemalen and/öre sling preferably.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, I know, but i have a really small garden with hardly ANY soil, but enough isobods to feed a city. And I never find anything but those, that may be because the weather hasn't been working, but I really hope I can find one. A gemalen and/öre sling preferably.
Interesting that you can find lots of isopods, but no Dysdera crocata. I usually find D. crocata wherever I find large numbers of Armadillidium vulgare...especially under flat boards and similar cover.

Last edited:

Bunyan van Asten

Arachnoknight
Interesting that you can find lot so of isopods, but no Dysdera crocata. I usually find D. crocata wherever I find large numbers of Armadillidium vulgare...especially under flat boards and similar cover.
i have multiple colonies of 30 to 90 isopods in my garden alone, so i don't know how i can't find it...

RepugnantOoze

Arachnosquire
They tend to burrow in the colder weather check again when spring finally reveals its self.

Vialheart

Arachnopeon
I went out into my front yard and found one like a week ago. It was under a garden border stone at like 10 pm. Maybe try checking under rocks and logs at night if you can?