Where to find common Pill Millipede (Glomeris marginata) in UK for terrarium?

Grizzly143

Arachnopeon
Hi Guys/gals,

I’m planning on starting a new terrarium for glomeris marginata millipedes but just double checking I’m looking in the right places! They’re so hard to come by online and are quite costly I just thought I would collect 4 or 5 as a start as I live in rural UK. I’m looking mainly under stones and logs, both rotting and not as I’ve heard that they usually are found in the same places as many isopods. Anywhere else I could look? I’ve failed to come across any so far, but it could be that I’ve only looked on dry days - perhaps wait until after it rains?

Any help appreciated :)

Steve

Doodlebird

Arachnoknight
I don't have any experience with this particular species, but I have collected some wild millipedes and isopods. Under rocks and logs is definitely good, and I tend to find a number a day or two after it rains. If you have any woods nearby, that is a good place to check. They also will live under leaf litter, or in compost piles. I tend to find millipedes in small groups, so chances are you will find a couple together. If you find some I might need a millipede tax ;)

Divaraptor

Arachnopeon
Hi Guys/gals,

I’m planning on starting a new terrarium for glomeris marginata millipedes but just double checking I’m looking in the right places! They’re so hard to come by online and are quite costly I just thought I would collect 4 or 5 as a start as I live in rural UK. I’m looking mainly under stones and logs, both rotting and not as I’ve heard that they usually are found in the same places as many isopods. Anywhere else I could look? I’ve failed to come across any so far, but it could be that I’ve only looked on dry days - perhaps wait until after it rains?

Steve
I recently got 6 on eBay for £10 with free postage. Lovely little things.

TooManyCooks

Arachnopeon
Hi Guys/gals,

Steve
psst, go to iNaturalist.org, people document sightings of certain animals and also post the location in which they were found, the time, date, etc. It's the best way to track wild animals/find their regionality!

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Glomeris in general and marginata in particular I believe are found in areas with calcareous loam soils. I believe this website may have the information you are looking for though with regards to their locales in the UK. Apparently they are more common the farther south you go.

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts