where to draw the line?

Arakatac

Arachnopeon
love you hon
Love you too, "hon," and thank you for another unintentionally hilarious retort.

Did you not say this?

"Very few 14 year old's have the attention span, dedication, sense of responsibility that would make a tarantula a good idea. I don't consider them expendable animals, and given what I know about kids in general, and their priorities, I almost never recommend them for kids of this age."

Then did you not say this?

"Arakatac, my credentials is that I've been a teenager."

{D{D{D{D

Okay Jim M, call me unable to understand what I'm reading, but it looks to me like YOU were the very teenager you've been warning us all about. That means all teenagers are like you? Wow. And I'm the one with the ego :? I'm the negative one :? (And let's not even go into what kind of teenagers YOU'RE raising ...)

So be it. Here's some more advice: keep it up, I'm suddenly having fun. :D

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
p.s " And here's a tip to all of you folks so eager to instruct the younger generation: try learning a little grammar - it's "get bitten," not "get bit."

"THAT'S WHERE I DRAW THE FLIPPIN' LINE!"
grammar you say?!?!?!?!

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Okay Jim M, call me unable to understand what I'm reading, but it looks to me like YOU were the very teenager you've been warning us all about.
Exactly.
Many are like I was, some are not.
The only point I was making.

Arakatac

Arachnopeon
Arakatac last time I checked we were all allowed to post opinions and everyone can have one Dan and I were having a spirited debate albeit misguided and slightly off point until you show up doing exactly what your complaining about. {bashing Jim} If you cant practice what you preach then dont bother preaching.
Kettle, paging pot! :rolleyes:

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
When it comes to kids say 14 and under, what species {if any} do you think kids should not be allowed to own?
Not talking just about "smart" kids, maturity level comes into play with this one.

IMO all old world with medically significant bites should be a no go.
This is the original post READ IT. no where does it say no kids should have tarantulas....it says what species do you think kids should not be allowed to own? as usual it goes way off in left field.....:wall:

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
When it comes to kids say 14 and under, what species {if any} do you think kids should not be allowed to own?
Not talking just about "smart" kids, maturity level comes into play with this one.

IMO all old world with medically significant bites should be a no go.
Lets bring this one back down to earth guys! I don't think this thread is about grammar or Jim's teenagers.:wall:

--Dan

Arakatac

Arachnopeon
Isn't this cute?!?!? All it takes is one troll to bring us all together!:):clap:

--Dan
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: (So now you're bashing my looks :D ... I was defending you, buddy ...)

And to Jim M, I do apologize about my remark about your teenagers. I'm sure they're good kids. I was being facetious, I meant no enmity.

A

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: (So now you're bashing my looks :D ... I was defending you, buddy ...)

And to Jim M, I do apologize about my remark about your teenagers. I'm sure they're good kids. I was being facetious, I meant no enmity.

A
I'm not bashing your looks, I just don't quite agree with the way you are expressing them. If you don't want threads to go off topic and attack one person, then don't do it. I will support you if you are willing to express yourself maturly and actually discuss the topic at hand.

--Dan

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
kiddo I wish you good luck with whatever you try just be mindful of what decisions you make ,,they can have long term ramifications.
Thank you. What you are referring to is called good old fashion experiential learning. (I'm a montessori student, I know all about it!!!)

--Dan

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's actually rather disappointing that this thread went from something that could of been debated in a intelligent manner, to the unfortunate, "NO U" path.... :rolleyes:

The more disappointing, it was'nt because of the teenagers. :cool:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yet, in a way, you contribute to the disappointment by not posting anything relevant to the thread...

Dan, I have seen two posting styles from you so far. We'll see which one wins over the other.

Regarding the actual topic of this thread...I tend to take the same side as Jim - most 'kids' in the early teens (and tweens, as they're now called) are too young and irresponsible to keep some of the higher-maintenance and essentially all old world species.

Of course, a tarantula is probably one of the most low-maintenance 'pets' you can have, short of a pet rock.

I think it's up to the parents to make sure the child is educated enough and willing to take responsibility for the animal - this applies to any pet though, not just tarantulas. I also think the parent should expect the child to lose interest, accept that this is a possibility, and be willing to take over if/when this happens.

Arakatac

Arachnopeon
I'm not bashing your looks, I just don't quite agree with the way you are expressing them. If you don't want threads to go off topic and attack one person, then don't do it. I will support you if you are willing to express yourself maturly and actually discuss the topic at hand.

--Dan
Dan, I was KIDDING - am I now to be blamed for self-deprecating humor? (Although that said, if you saw me you probably WOULD bash my looks - why not, everybody else does! :D ...). I do know enough about "trolls" to know that it's not a very nice thing to call somebody. Let's see, so now I have a big ego, I'm negative, and I'm a troll ... anybody else like to chime in, maybe we could make this a poll?

Again I will state, it annoys me when ... oh never mind -

Simple and direct answer to the OP: G rosea and G pulchripes.

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
Dan, I was KIDDING - am I now to be blamed for self-deprecating humor? (Although that said, if you saw me you probably WOULD bash my looks - why not, everybody else does! :D ...). I do know enough about "trolls" to know that it's not a very nice thing to call somebody. Let's see, so now I have a big ego, I'm negative, and I'm a troll ... anybody else like to chime in, maybe we could make this a poll?

Again I will state, it annoys me when ... oh never mind -

Simple and direct answer to the OP: G rosea and G pulchripes.
I love humor. It's my second favorite thing, losing, of course, to inverts. I have learned that humor and sarcasm doesn't translate well on the Internet. It mostly just gets you in trouble, especially in a thread where seriousness is the "theme"

Xhedx: I'm just wondering, what are my two posting styles? Serious and humorous?

--Dan

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yet, in a way, you contribute to the disappointment by not posting anything relevant to the thread...

Dan, I have seen two posting styles from you so far. We'll see which one wins over the other.

Regarding the actual topic of this thread...I tend to take the same side as Jim - most 'kids' in the early teens (and tweens, as they're now called) are too young and irresponsible to keep some of the higher-maintenance and essentially all old world species.

Of course, a tarantula is probably one of the most low-maintenance 'pets' you can have, short of a pet rock.

I think it's up to the parents to make sure the child is educated enough and willing to take responsibility for the animal - this applies to any pet though, not just tarantulas. I also think the parent should expect the child to lose interest, accept that this is a possibility, and be willing to take over if/when this happens.
I contributed a relevant response a few pages back, maybe read an entire thread before jumping to conclusions? :rolleyes: