where to draw the line?

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
I guess I misinterpreted Jim's comments about kids' general priorities and senses of responisibility as a different way of saying lazy. In addition to that, lazy was the best word I could find to sum up what I interpreted, which could be a skewed interpretation. Only Jim knows what Jim meant. Furthermore, as an individual, I have had, and have cared for my Chilean rose for more than three years. But of course, I am DIFFERENT from your son, which is why the line should be drawn wherever the person in question comfort level and level of ability ends. I appologize if my terminology has been confusing to anyone.

--Dan

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
...Exactly...

actually I nailed it pretty good!

Wow a whole 3 years living at home with mom and dad...not hard to do .

Wait until you grow up a little and face real world changes. If you keep missing the point you will get nothing out of this converastion.

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
read the bite reports... adults with years of experience get bit and end up in the hospital. You are a child and ARE too young for a T that can put you in the hospital. Age is not the only factor but its a very very very good place to start!

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I am 100% sure that no one means to be rude to you or others your age. But there are just many things to consider before purchasing one. My son is helping me with my T´s now, that is funny for him, because he can leave anytime he wants. So he does have some interest, but mostly around feeding time! Cleaning and other stuff is the harder part;) But that way he does not need years of commitment, that is my point. Listen to the advice given, and decide from there if a T is the way to go for you. maybe you could find some mature male of some slow growing and calm species. That way you dont commit to more than months, and in that time you can see if you still have interest in them. Just my 2 cents.

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
I am 100% sure that no one means to be rude to you or others your age. But there are just many things to consider before purchasing one. My son is helping me with my T´s now, that is funny for him, because he can leave anytime he wants. So he does have some interest, but mostly around feeding time! Cleaning and other stuff is the harder part;) But that way he does not need years of commitment, that is my point. Listen to the advice given, and decide from there if a T is the way to go for you. maybe you could find some mature male of some slow growing and calm species. That way you dont commit to more than months, and in that time you can see if you still have interest in them. Just my 2 cents.
Good idea about the mm of some slow growing and calm species. That way you dont commit to more than months I hadnt thought of that.

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
actually I nailed it pretty good!

Wow a whole 3 years living at home with mom and dad...not hard to do .

Wait until you grow up a little and face real world changes. If you keep missing the point you will get nothing out of this converastion.
What is it that you want for me to get out of this conversation? Should I just get rid of my rose hair cause it will still be alive when I am in college? Do you want me to sell my obt because it could send me to the hospital? Those all seem like irrational measures to take. When I do leave for college, my dad probably wouldn't even consider letting me take my t's. He loves them too much!{D

--Dan

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree with you, Dan. Owning any animal is a big responsibility/commitment and every individual, before purchase, needs to decide whether they are ready for that. 30 years is a big commitment for adults or young people. There are many, far too many!, adults that buy tarantulas and lose interest in them, or don't do their research or don't give them proper care. It is unfair to lump that sort of behaviour into any one age group, I think. In the case of minors still living at home, it will have to be the parent who makes the judgement as to whether their son or daughter has the maturity and the right frame of mind to undertake that responsibility. In homes where the parent(s) already keep tarantulas, all the better! Then the younger members of the family can watch, learn and practice before taking on the full care of a life themselves. On the plus side, a tarantula is a far more likely candidate for a person to be able to take along to university than a dog or a cat, nor will it feel neglected due to its keeper's busy schedule there. I think they are an excellent choice for an interested child. Dan actually shows the type of maturity needed by recognizing what he is and is not ready for.
As far as venom potencies and aggressive behavior, as mentioned in the original post: I treat young people the same in this as adults. I wouldn't recommend those species to anybody starting out in tarantulas. Again, too many adults as well buy Ts without knowing what they are getting into or buy one docile species that they have for a week and then assume they are ready for anything. I think everybody, young and old, should start out with something less hot, work with those, learn and then move up when they are ready. Few youg people will have shown the diligence, preparation, disposition and research necessary, nor gained the appropriate experience before the age you mention, but if I had a kid that was one of those rare people who did, I would not forbid them the experience. I would closely moniter it in the beginning though.

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
What is it that you want for me to get out of this conversation? Should I just get rid of my rose hair cause it will still be alive when I am in college? Do you want me to sell my obt because it could send me to the hospital? Those all seem like irrational measures to take. When I do leave for college, my dad probably wouldn't even consider letting me take my t's. He loves them too much!{D

--Dan
Have you read any of the previous posts? T A R A N T U L A S with a bite that can put you in the H O S P I T A L should not be owned by C H I L D R E N. Keep what you want, buy what you want, get bit by what you want. I am not going to keep giving you the same point over and over again until it sinks in! If you are not mature enough { by the way big words dont make you mature} to get the point of the conversation then continuing the conversation is kind of stupid ..isnt it?

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
just a side note as an adult when you get bit by a "hot" T who pays the bill? You Do!
When a child gets bit by a "hot" T who pays the bill? The parents do. As adults we choose to take the risk of being in the hospital {and getting the bills} from one of our "pets" no way is a kid old enough or mature enough to make that call.

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
Have you read any of the previous posts? T A R A N T U L A S with a bite that can put you in the H O S P I T A L should not be owned by C H I L D R E N. Keep what you want, buy what you want, get bit by what you want. I am not going to keep giving you the same point over and over again until it sinks in! If you are not mature enough { by the way big words dont make you mature} to get the point of the conversation then continuing the conversation is kind of stupid ..isnt it?
I get the point of the conversation. I just don't agree with it. The only thing kind of stupid here is that you think I should agree with everyone because that is just what we are discussing. The point of a conversation is to have multiple viewpoints involved to enrich the knowledge of each individual party. If we all pat eachother's backs, then we all stay as ignorant as we were before the conversation started. Side note: I'm not using big words to sound mature, I'm using them because this is a theoretically mature conversation.

--Dan

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Um..actually in Canada all the taxpayers pay the bill. :D Anyway, I don't want to argue about this. You just posted a question and asked everybody's opinion, so there ya go. That's mine. No need to get worked up.
I did say that with minors living at home the parent needed to make the final call, too. We agree about that. And that most would not be ready. Why do you keep putting quotes around "hot"? It is not uncommonly used to describe fast, aggressive species of tarantulas. Sort of like Arabs are "hot-blooded" horses for instance.
I like your sig., by the way.

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think we owe Dan some kudos for the job that he'd doing in this thread so far.
So many people his age type in run on sentences coupled with "texting" speak, combined with a good dose of immaturity, teenage ego, and refusing to acknowledge what they don't know, and it makes them absolutely intolerable.

I was typing this in a PM to him, the realized I might as well post here.
Opinion or difference in view aside, the ability to communicate that difference in a mature way, especially for one so young is commendable.

You're doing a fine job.
Keep it up.

Cheers
Jim

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think it depends solely on the maturity of the kid. Got to remember its the parents responsibility to take care of that kid. Do I think a 14 year old should be taking care of a P.ornata by theirselves, no I do not. But on the other hand , I do agree that a 14 year old could properly care for a docile species under limited supervision. Just a opinion, thats what forums are for after all.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think we owe Dan some kudos for the job that he'd doing in this thread so far.
So many people his age type in run on sentences coupled with "texting" speak, combined with a good dose of immaturity, teenage ego, and refusing to acknowledge what they don't know, and it makes them absolutely intolerable.

Opinion or difference in view aside, the ability to communicate that difference in a mature way, especially for one so young is commendable.

You're doing a fine job.
Keep it up.

Cheers
Jim
:clap:

And there are kids who are responsible, take Warren for instance - he is very responsible and very knowledgeable. But with any situation involving a minor, the parents need to be the one to finally decide if this kid should own a hot t or not. I personally see no reason to have a hot one around my kids when there are so many beautiful and far less harmful t's to own. Why take the risk.

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
Do I think a 14 year old should be taking care of a P.ornata by theirselves, no I do not. But on the other hand , I do agree that a 14 year old could properly care for a docile species under limited supervision. Just a opinion, thats what forums are for after all.
I agree with that 100% thats the point ! Nothing Hot!

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire

You're doing a fine job.
Keep it up.

Cheers
Jim
Thanks Jim. It means a lot that we can all still respect each other, as opposed to resorting to nasty comments that don't belong on the boards.

--Dan

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
(did NOT read the convos so no calling me out ;) )

i think people who can do a little research and learn to respect a T should be able to have one, age should not be a question. i know may people who will spend 1,2,3,4, maybe even 5 HOURS on model cars. yea, some 14 year old if not a level minded kid who hate every thing but there XBOX but there are some kids who if they want can make stuff happen.

MY EXP

i love video games (BLACK OPS!!) but i make time for my tarantulas so i can feed , water and sometimes handle my tarantulas but that ME thers lots of kids that will just leave them there to get dusty

in all is your responsible i see no problem

Arakatac

Arachnopeon
Jeez-oh-peez people! Why does every thread have to single out some sincere respondent to bash and belittle? Even the OP is doing it! Well, since I started writing this post, I can see that at least some apologies have gone out.

Still ...

I, being relatively clueless about this hobby that I have gotten into and enjoy, come to this forum to absorb the experience, wisdom, knowledge and advice of people that have been around the block a few times more than I have. But when things get condescending, snide and downright insulting, THAT'S WHERE I DRAW THE FLIPPIN' LINE!

I began reading this thread with interest, but early on discovered that it, like so many other threads, has taken a path bordering on a bullying session against a couple of kids who clearly have their heads screwed on straighter than most adults.

"Very few 14 year old's have the attention span, dedication, sense of responsibility that would make a tarantula a good idea. I don't consider them expendable animals, and given what I know about kids in general, and their priorities, I almost never recommend them for kids of this age.

Some kids (usually girls) are an exception to this - but most of the time it's a bad idea. Whether or not the kid you're thinking of is one the few who is responsible enough, only you can determine.

Just keep in mind that with some species, you're talking about an animal that can live for 35 years. You have to consider this on one hand, and the fleeting attention span of your average young person on the other."

Well thank you Dr Spock! I just love this - I actually laughed out loud. Can you offer the teenagers of the world credentials that qualify you to make such astonishing statements as those? And the 35 years thing - you're suggesting what, that only until they reach an age where the tarantula might outlive THEM should they finally get one? {D{D{D{D

As a rebuttal to that indictment of teenage boys everywhere, I know a kid who, at the age of 15, became a nationally renowned expert on falconing. I know a 13 year-old who became a successful betta-breeder (and hey, all you mature, intelligent adults out there, it's "betta," NOT ''beta.") They're both boys, but hey, let's give the girls their due - I know two girls, 10 and 8, that have become the proud and successful keepers of sugar gliders and cats, several of whom they, at their young age, have sadly outgrown. And we all know kids like this - they're all over the place, they're smart, responsible, eager to learn, and they're the ones that are going to have to straighten out the world that we adults have so wisely screwed up.

I wonder at what age Stanley Schultz got his first tarantula. A very young age, I suspect.

To the OP I say: read Seezilla's excellent post - he/she talks about responsibility, education, willingness to learn and to pass on that learning, and yes, he/she talks about youngsters being - GASP! - responsible!

And to Dannyboypede: I'm on your side, buddy. Why don't you start a kick-butt blog of your own and teach us old fogeys a thing or two? Prove the naysayers wrong! You're on your way to being a success, it shines right through your posts! Just the fact that you consult this forum and offer up your opinions is evidence of that.

And here's a tip to all of you folks so eager to instruct the younger generation: try learning a little grammar - it's "get bitten," not "get bit.";)

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Jeez-oh-peez people! Why does every thread have to single out some sincere respondent to bash and belittle? Even the OP is doing it! Well, since I started writing this post, I can see that at least some apologies have gone out.

Still ...

I, being relatively clueless about this hobby that I have gotten into and enjoy, come to this forum to absorb the experience, wisdom, knowledge and advice of people that have been around the block a few times more than I have. But when things get condescending, snide and downright insulting, THAT'S WHERE I DRAW THE FLIPPIN' LINE!

I began reading this thread with interest, but early on discovered that it, like so many other threads, has taken a path bordering on a bullying session against a couple of kids who clearly have their heads screwed on straighter than most adults.

"Very few 14 year old's have the attention span, dedication, sense of responsibility that would make a tarantula a good idea. I don't consider them expendable animals, and given what I know about kids in general, and their priorities, I almost never recommend them for kids of this age.

Some kids (usually girls) are an exception to this - but most of the time it's a bad idea. Whether or not the kid you're thinking of is one the few who is responsible enough, only you can determine.

Just keep in mind that with some species, you're talking about an animal that can live for 35 years. You have to consider this on one hand, and the fleeting attention span of your average young person on the other."

Well thank you Dr Spock! I just love this - I actually laughed out loud. Can you offer the teenagers of the world credentials that qualify you to make such astonishing statements as those? And the 35 years thing - you're suggesting what, that only until they reach an age where the tarantula might outlive THEM should they finally get one? {D{D{D{D

As a rebuttal to that indictment of teenage boys everywhere, I know a kid who, at the age of 15, became a nationally renowned expert on falconing. I know a 13 year-old who became a successful betta-breeder (and hey, all you mature, intelligent adults out there, it's "betta," NOT ''beta.") They're both boys, but hey, let's give the girls their due - I know two girls, 10 and 8, that have become the proud and successful keepers of sugar gliders and cats, several of whom they, at their young age, have sadly outgrown. And we all know kids like this - they're all over the place, they're smart, responsible, eager to learn, and they're the ones that are going to have to straighten out the world that we adults have so wisely screwed up.

I wonder at what age Stanley Schultz got his first tarantula. A very young age, I suspect.

To the OP I say: read Seezilla's excellent post - he/she talks about responsibility, education, willingness to learn and to pass on that learning, and yes, he/she talks about youngsters being - GASP! - responsible!

And to Dannyboypede: I'm on your side, buddy. Why don't you start a kick-butt blog of your own and teach us old fogeys a thing or two? Prove the naysayers wrong! You're on your way to being a success, it shines right through your posts! Just the fact that you consult this forum and offer up your opinions is evidence of that.

And here's a tip to all of you folks so eager to instruct the younger generation: try learning a little grammar - it's "get bitten," not "get bit.";)

...and this folks, is an example of the type of negative behavior I referred to in my post complementing Dan.

Arakatac, my credentials is that I've been a teenager, have known them in my adult life, I have two of them, and pay attention. That is all.

I simply meant that most kids have fleeting interests in things, they look for a minute and move in. That "minute" might be weeks, moths or years. Or the kid might be an exception like I clearly stated.

Your post filled with ego, and beyond immature. Just the kind of thing I was crediting Dan for NOT doing.

Understand what you read...THEN post.
Love you hon

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
Arakatac last time I checked we were all allowed to post opinions and everyone can have one Dan and I were having a spirited debate albeit misguided and slightly off point until you show up doing exactly what your complaining about. {bashing Jim} If you cant practice what you preach then dont bother preaching.