SDCPs

Arachnolord
It's fine to mix.

BTW, your brother had better anticipate an inch long "giant" blue millipede :p

DatMillipede

Arachnosquire
It's fine to mix.

BTW, your brother had better anticipate an inch long "giant" blue millipede :p
Haha yep lol. Well, he wants it to be small, but that's just him. Didn't exactly seem 'giant' to me. By the way, does anyone know the scientific name of that species?

shebeen

Arachnobaron
Here's some information from Orins' (A&E) book "Millipedes in Captivity". You should definitely get yourself a copy. The Philippine Giant Blue Millipede is from the genus Acladocricus. They take about four years to reach maturity and can obtain a length of 6 inches. Adults molt twice a year and usually live 2 to 4 years after reaching maturity but often die of fungal infections after 3 years. Immatures are easy to rear. He gives them a hardiness of 9 on a scale of 10.

DatMillipede

Arachnosquire
Here's some information from Orins' (A&E) book "Millipedes in Captivity". You should definitely get yourself a copy. The Philippine Giant Blue Millipede is from the genus Acladocricus. They take about four years to reach maturity and can obtain a length of 6 inches. Adults molt twice a year and usually live 2 to 4 years after reaching maturity but often die of fungal infections after 3 years. Immatures are easy to rear. He gives them a hardiness of 9 on a scale of 10.
Wow thanks! Definetly sounds like a book do get! But they usually die of fungal infections? Is this still a good beginners pede?

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So far it's looking like 1 thai rainbow and three bumblebees. I convinced my brother to get one, and he's going for the Philipine Giant Blue Greys.
I bought a bunch of this species (1 inch) recently and I had a few die under ideal conditions. You might want to buy 3. : )

Last edited:

shebeen

Arachnobaron
Millipedes are susceptible to shipping stress. Even when all precautions are taken, some individuals can die hours or days after being received. I usually try to by in lots of 4 or 5 and hope for the best.

I would say the hardiest species that Peter has in stock are the Bumblebee, the albino Narceus, and the Thai Rainbow. Ken the Bug Guy has Chicobolus spinigerus in both Ebony and Ivory morphs, and Narceus gordanus in stock, all of which are quite hardy. Ken also has Bumblebees in stock.

DatMillipede

Arachnosquire
Millipedes are susceptible to shipping stress. Even when all precautions are taken, some individuals can die hours or days after being received. I usually try to by in lots of 4 or 5 and hope for the best.

I would say the hardiest species that Peter has in stock are the Bumblebee, the albino Narceus, and the Thai Rainbow. Ken the Bug Guy has Chicobolus spinigerus in both Ebony and Ivory morphs, and Narceus gordanus in stock, all of which are quite hardy. Ken also has Bumblebees in stock.
Thanks you. I think I will be getting two thai rainbows. A ten gallon tank should be plenty enough for them, right?

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Seriously? Was it the fungal infection? Also, what's the hardiest pede on that website?
I am not sure why they died. Go with shebeen's recommendation for hardiness.

---------- Post added 07-23-2013 at 06:43 PM ----------

Thanks you. I think I will be getting two thai rainbows. A ten gallon tank should be plenty enough for them, right?
Just my 2 cents: This species reproduces VERY well under ideal conditions. They are one of my favorites. I would suggest you get 5. It will cost you more but then you will have a higher probability of having offspring. You will be so bummed if you get 2 males or 2 females or no babies. The two you buy will eventually die and it is very cool to have 50-100 babies after the parents are gone. If you get babies you can set up multiple enclosures of varying sizes. I started with 5 and now have 6 large healthy enclosures that range from the size of a 5 gallon to a 3 foot by 4 foot enclosure. Each of these enclosures have large numbers of individuals in them. It is common to find 40 or more babies swarming a piece of fruit. I always give them at least 4 inches of substrate. Low ventilation, moist substrate, lots of dead leaves, shredded aspen wood, dry dog food, fruit, giant springtails.

Last edited:

DatMillipede

Arachnosquire
I am not sure why they died. Go with shebeen's recommendation for hardiness.

---------- Post added 07-23-2013 at 06:43 PM ----------

Just my 2 cents: This species reproduces VERY well under ideal conditions. They are one of my favorites. I would suggest you get 5. It will cost you more but then you will have a higher probability of having offspring. You will be so bummed if you get 2 males or 2 females or no babies. The two you buy will eventually die and it is very cool to have 50-100 babies after the parents are gone. If you get babies you can set up multiple enclosures of varying sizes. I started with 5 and now have 6 large healthy enclosures that range from the size of a 5 gallon to a 3 foot by 4 foot enclosure. Each of these enclosures have large numbers of individuals in them. It is common to find 40 or more babies swarming a piece of fruit. I always give them at least 4 inches of substrate. Low ventilation, moist substrate, lots of dead leaves, shredded aspen wood, dry dog food, fruit, giant springtails.
Thanks, the problem with getting so many is cash. Right, now, as these are my first pedes, I am only willing to get 3-4. And springtails? They clean up the tank, right? And is oak wood fine?

Solucki

Arachnoknight
I found someone who sells WC bumble bees and rusty reds at 15 for $30 shipped. Good guy too. I bought some.

DatMillipede

Arachnosquire
I found someone who sells WC bumble bees and rusty reds at 15 for $30 shipped. Good guy too. I bought some.
Sorry, but what does WC mean? Also, I'm pretty set on the thai rainbow millipedes now, so I might get a bumblebee or two, but I need a website with the rainbows.

Solucki

Arachnoknight
Wild Caught. Those are good too.
I'm sure these are all listed but Bugsincyberspace, Ken the bug guy, Swift inverts all Have millipedes.

Last edited:

Solucki

Arachnoknight
It's not a website, just a private seller. Pm me if you want details.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks, the problem with getting so many is cash. Right, now, as these are my first pedes, I am only willing to get 3-4. And springtails? They clean up the tank, right? And is oak wood fine?
Yes, they clean the tank. Dead oak wood is perfect.: )